EDIT: I never pinned this down, but it seems to be fixed a few updates later.
flashplugin-184.108.40.2067-1 hangs browser (just the browser) and then crashes when any page containing flash is loaded. The result is the "The Adobe Flash plugin has crashed." grey box. Or sometimes just a blank space I guess. Happens in both Firefox and Chromium.
When the plugin crashes, Firefox spits out several of these two messages:
###!!! [Parent][RPCChannel] Error: Channel timeout: cannot send/recv ###!!! [Parent][AsyncChannel] Error: Channel timeout: cannot send/recv
And I notice plugin-container has become "uninterruptible" and stays that way until reboot. The issue will usually take some time to present itself after reboot, 30 minutes to an hour. I think until I actually go to youtube or load some part of a site that hangs up the plugin.
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]) Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0504 Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 50 Memory at d1400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M] Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M] I/O ports at 3000 [size=64] Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] Capabilities:  MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit- Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2 Capabilities: [a4] PCI Advanced Features Kernel driver in use: i915 Kernel modules: i915
I also have an NVidia card using proprietary drivers and Bumblebee, but it's not turned on for web browsing.
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108M [GeForce GT 540M] (rev ff) (prog-if ff) !!! Unknown header type 7f Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia
/etc/adobe/mms.cfg was untouched when this issue began and suggested changes had no effect.
Firefox is version 22.0-1, but as the problem also occurs in Chromium, I don't think it's browser specific.
I assume there is some crucial log or piece of system info that someone more knowledgeable than I needs, so just ask and I'll try to abide.
I'm seeing stuff about libvdpau 0.6-2 causing problems recently
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/36004 (supposedly fixed in mesa-9.1.4-3)
however, my mesa is 9.1.5-1, and as libvdpau is an NVidia library, I'm not sure it's relevant.
I've rolled libvdpau back to 0.6-1 anyway just to see.
And, that seems to have done the trick (for whatever reason). I'm not particularly adept at reporting bugs, but I'd like to try and help, as well as track this.
Posting this even though I seem to have solved it, because from what I could find, it was fixed and seems to have rebroken.
Last edited by stevepoppers (2013-09-20 04:02:13)
Okay, this is definitely not solved. I'm still having this issue on both versions of libvdpau, the same version of firefox and flashplugin, and mesa 9.1.6-1. Let me try downgrading mesa I guess.
That did not work.
I notice flashplugin-220.127.116.111 present in my pacman cache. If the issue is still not solved I will try switching to that version.
Still happening, trying a flashplugin downgrade.
No luck. Halp.
I also have crashing of latest flashplugin 18.104.22.1687-1 in opera and slimboat. Plugin crashes at the start of any flash video.
But I have a rather old system (celeron tualatin 1.3ghz, and nvidia fx5900).
After checking and installing various flashplugins from AUR, I got this one to run without problems https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/flas … se2/,which is the latest version which worked. PKGBUILD checks if cpu has SSE2 or only SSE support and if latest then downloads flashplugin 22.214.171.1240-1 from some dropbox account.
Hopefully this will help you.
Same here. Everytime I watch a flash video, and I try to put in in fullscreen, my FF/Chromium crashes only playing sound.
It usually works again after restarting my browser but only once. For example when I watch a video in fullscreen and I close it, then make it fullscreen again, it crashes.
Same problem, flashplayer crashing with all flashvideos on both firefox (22.0) and luakit 2012.09.13.r1-5 (looks like I should update that one).
Fixed the problem by downgrading:
All from 9.2.0-1 to 9.1.6-1
Also downgraded cairo while testing, but re-upgrading that doesn't seem to make any changes.
Now it's down to the occasional crashes I expect from closed source blobs