You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-02 07:37:46

TheSaint

[Solved] How to recover the package list from another installation?

Hello,
I supposed gparted could make a fine result by moving the partition, but it didn't.
I was doing that on an USB installation, now fsck recover partially my partition, but mostly many files are gone. It seems that pacman databases are saved, then I would like to recover the list and try to reinstall all packages.
I can't enter by chroot on that partition, bash fails.
My attempt is to use pacman -r /mounted/partition packagelist, if I'll get the list, then it mostly possible to regain chroot access

EDIT
I got a flashback and I applied modifications in a temporary pacman.conf. In that configuration I modified the paths to all file used by pacman to reflect the other installation.
Finally I could get the list, but I didn't go for an update, because the installation was too old. I'm doing a fresh install with the recovered package list.

Last edited by TheSaint (2013-08-02 09:39:59)

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

#2 2013-08-02 11:34:09

karol
Archivist

Re: [Solved] How to recover the package list from another installation?

Even if (or 'especially if') you don't do regular backups, you should back your drive up before you attempt to repartition it. Copy at least the most important stuff, like the package list, configs and docs.

#3 2013-08-03 13:17:03

TheSaint

Re: [Solved] How to recover the package list from another installation?

I'm entirely agreed with you.
Some time I fail to remember such things. I don't regret much the loss, it was just a support installation for emergency cases. Home is safe in another partition wink
However it is a good exercise to rescue the package list.

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

Board footer