You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-31 01:08:22

Abschiedsstein

No GRUB menu when booting from USB stick with new archlinux

Hi,
I want to try archlinux but I do not have a full backup of my current system right now, such that I do not dare to install archlinux on it. I decided to install it on a USB drive and followed the Beginners Guide considering the hints for installations on USB sticks.
The first issue that I had was that I was not able to to install gurb and it complained that no boot partition was available. I started from scratch again but this time choose the partition type EF02  (bios boot partition) instead of the default 0700 (I only have one partition on the stick). This time everything went fine until I rebooted from the USB stick. Instead of a grub menu I got:

GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB

and nothing happened.
I booted again from the boot cd with archlinux and did the following to examine the grub installation again:

mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
arch-chroot /mnt /bin/bash
grub-install --recheck --boot-directory=/boot /dev/sdb
>Installation finished. No error reported.
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>Generating grub.cfg
>Found linux image: /boot/vmlinux-linux
>Found linux image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img
> 	WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad: No such file or directory. Falling back to internal scanning.
>	No volume groups found
>Found LMDE MATE Edition (1) on /dev/sda1
>done

I don't know what the grub-mkconfig output should look like...
Do you have any idea how I can fix this?
Thanks in advance!

#2 2013-08-02 22:25:58

cfr

Re: No GRUB menu when booting from USB stick with new archlinux

Welcome to Arch!

EF02 is definitely not the type code you want. That is used for a small partition with no file system which grub needs on GPT disks because it cannot fit into the space on disk. You don't install anything into it and it is 1-2MB.

Perhaps https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Usb_installation would help?

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Board footer