You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-02 17:56:28

haxy

xrandr suddenly stopped working as expected?

Hello.
I currently run Arch on a intel notebook with an external HDMI monitor. So usually I use xrandr to turn off my notebook monitor and enable the HDMI one.
At the time my DE starts, I run the following script:

[haxy@i3 ~]$ cat .home_mon
xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 1680x1050
xrandr --output LVDS1 --off

Everything used to work fine, but now when I run it, simply the LVDS1(notebook) won't go off, and I get both monitors working. Still running xrandr shows no errors.

Oddly enough, if I go to XFCE Displays menu, LVDS1 option "Use this output" is not checked. If i check it and uncheck it, then the screen goes off. Another weird thing, if I run xrandr --output HDMI1 --off, both screens go off, and when i run xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 1680x1050 again, just HDMI goes on.

How can I check to find out whats causing this?

#2 2013-08-04 22:15:48

kwehmu

Re: xrandr suddenly stopped working as expected?

That's some pretty strange behavior.  Your sequence of commands works fine on my system, but I have a slightly different monitor configuration.

What is the output if you replace your script with the following?

xrandr --verbose
xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 1680x1050
xrandr --verbose
xrandr --output LVDS1 --off --dryrun
xrandr --output LVDS1 --off
xrandr --verbose

Can you think of anything that changed between the last time it worked and the first time it didn't?  (Updating/installing packages, modifying configuration, etc.?)  You can check the pacman log for package installations/updates/etc.

#3 2013-08-05 00:03:02

ewaller
Administrator

Re: xrandr suddenly stopped working as expected?

As a sanity check, have you double checked the output of xrandr without any options?  I am wondering if, perhaps, an output has changed  names somehow.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer