You are not logged in.

#3326 2013-08-01 14:16:18

zurgprot

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi,  total arch newb here.  I've just heard of this distro from the linux Action Show and decided to give it a whirl.

I've been an arch user now for about 10 hours and am absolutely loving it.  Of course, my machine has no wifi, video, or disk drives.  Come to think of it, it doesn't really boot either.  But I'll get there.

Anyway, cheers!

~zurg

#3327 2013-08-02 18:38:30

Edward_Snowden

Hello everyone.

Thanks for this awesome distribution and all the resources around it. It's obvious that there's so much love and passion in the Linux community that allows such great things to happen.

#3328 2013-08-04 01:56:36

shinings

Hello, another arch linux newbie here. Glad to meet everybody!

#3329 2013-08-04 12:39:44

MrElg

Hi all

I installed Arch a month ago, and finally I'm here in the forums. I've been using linux distros frequently for about one and a half year now, but mainly Debian based distros. I think it started because I found that LaTeX support was superior on linux. When I got hold of this old computer I decided I should go for something new, and the choice was Arch. I guess mainly because of the fact that I wanted a rolling release distro, but I also fancied the Arch Way. I decided on going with the Enlightenment WM. I love the elegance of it, and it has just stucked with me after I used Bodhi. I tried a lot of other WMs, but nothing really came to me as E. The FM of E is terrible tho, so I prefer either XTerm or PCManFM.

Anyways. I'm after all pretty new to linux distros, but I'm learning in high speed. Most of it I learn either from google or from forums like this. It's a great resource base. In time, I hope I can contribute along with you guys.

Thanks for having me.

#3330 2013-08-04 13:19:50

hamhut1066

Have been using arch linux for about a year now after moving from ubuntu out of sheer irritation.
Used to dual boot but got a netbook and rebooting to game suddenly wasn't an option! spent about 2 months on ubuntu, moved to awesome because of lagging in unity then started distro hopping to find something I really liked.

I love the simplicicty and the ease at which my computer now works. And I love that don't ever have to reinstall!! < this is an epic bonus as I was using ubuntu unstable and had random crashes.

Yay for Arch!!!

Arch Linux | i3 | mpd | vim
`Everything to those who wait`

#3331 2013-08-04 19:32:04

hedbanga91

Just made the transition to Arch not too long ago and figured I'd make my first post here. I've been using Debian-based distros for quite awhile now but the customization, bleeding edge software, and pacman were just too awesome to ignore lol. So, hello to the other "Archers" out there and mucho thanks to all the people that made this distribution what it is today.

#3332 2013-08-06 01:44:55

studyclass
Website

Hello everyone, i'm here for learn and joke with the Arch, this is amazing, i hope always keep this spirit...

#3333 2013-08-06 02:40:59

Jarkore
Website

Hello everyone!

I am 17 and in high school. I started learning programming (Java being my first language) in my freshmen year and loved it but I never really did anything outside of school. However, since this year I had to change schools I decided to do some more things on my own. I have been using Linux distros for about a year and half and was distro jumping quite a lot, looking for the right distro for me (mostly debian based). At the end I settled down with arch due to the Arch's do it yourself philosophy. Best way to learn is by doing and arch makes you do a lot of things big_smile

So yeah here I am, newbie hoping to learn much from everyone in the Arch community.

#3334 2013-08-06 04:16:47

paranoiac

hey everyone,

I was previously a Ubuntu user, but I've been using Arch for a few months now and have no intention of going back. I love how supportive the Arch documentation is

#3335 2013-08-06 10:05:17

Papun

Hi All smile Finally i've got arch linux on my notebook and its amazing smile
I am part of the arch linux community and happy for this smile
First i was Fedora user
next was Ubuntu
and now Arch

#3336 2013-08-06 12:55:48

drcouzelis
Website

studyclass wrote:

Hello everyone, i'm here for learn and joke with the Arch

Nobody jokes about Arch Linux. This community is very very serious.

wink

#3337 2013-08-06 17:25:35

x33a
Forum Fellow

drcouzelis wrote:
studyclass wrote:

Hello everyone, i'm here for learn and joke with the Arch

Nobody jokes about Arch Linux. This community is very very serious.

wink

Yeah, but he wants to joke with arch, not about Arch. I guess, that's acceptable according to the forum rules? wink

#3338 2013-08-06 18:51:00

nihilon

Well, after using Ubuntu for a couple of weeks, I caught that there-has-to-be-a-better-way bug. After discovering that there was a Linux distro that was made to be built into whatever you wanted, I had to bite. After a day of fiddling, I finally got Arch Linux up and running on an old netbook, and I am becoming more and more addicted.

When I first learned how to use a computer, it was from the command line in MS-DOS. I didn't realized how much I missed the CLI until now smile. Here's to learning new things and getting back to some old!

"If we don't run as administrator, stuff breaks." from Writing Secure Code, Second Edition. Microsoft Press 2003

#3339 2013-08-07 08:54:31

aquarius

Hello Archers,
I have been using Archlinux for about 2 years now and I really enjoy it. My Linux experience dates back to 2003 when I started with Redhat 7.0 continuing with Fedora an then Ubuntu from its very early versions. One of the great pleasure of using Arch is its great community. In fact before using Arch, I found myself regularly appending +archlinux to the search expression when googling for Linux related problems, rather that going to the Ubuntu forums. The second attractive point was the rolling release style. The process of converting to Arch was accompanied with another milestone, the decision to ditch Windows and go completely Linux. After that, I have never looked back.
Salute!

#3340 2013-08-07 13:30:07

delta24

Hi everyone!
Been using Arch for almost 2 years now and there is no going back!
I have been using linux for 5 years and am hoping to get most out of this :: \o/

#3341 2013-08-07 20:40:03

nero

Hi everyone, I am newbie smile and freshmeat.  I have already hit my first grr moment with trying to configure mediatomb, it was working earlier today but I think it stopped when i changed my hostname. I have tried de-installing mediatomb and re-installing many times and as different users. Still i can get it to be seen on my other devices. Apologies if this is the wrong place to beg for help. I look forward to hearing from you all.

#3342 2013-08-07 22:12:43

MatejLach
Website

nero wrote:

Hi everyone, I am newbie smile and freshmeat.  I have already hit my first grr moment with trying to configure mediatomb, it was working earlier today but I think it stopped when i changed my hostname. I have tried de-installing mediatomb and re-installing many times and as different users. Still i can get it to be seen on my other devices. Apologies if this is the wrong place to beg for help. I look forward to hearing from you all.

Not the right place to ask this kind of question, however make sure that you're entering <your-new-hostname:port> and not <localhost:port>.

#3343 2013-08-09 06:42:40

whyaname

Hello everyone! A Linux newbie here and this is my third distro after Linux Mint and Linux Mint Debian. Enjoying Arch very much!

#3344 2013-08-09 22:03:18

nero

thanks MatejLach, I wasn't sure the best place. Thanks for the suggestion tho. Turned out to be a bad module on my network card.

Will try and find the correct place in the future.

#3345 2013-08-10 01:46:00

rufus
Banned

oh uh hi all! say uh can anyone loan me a twenty$ til later?

end ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     'the machine is not the end to the means., we are. In history, in board rooms and politic the greatest  decision and effort
        evolves from passion, lust for life, and a common sense of humanity. Never forget what you are and why'.         -me

#3346 2013-08-10 02:51:53

drcouzelis
Website

rufus wrote:

oh uh hi all! say uh can anyone loan me a twenty$ til later?

That depends. Do you use Arch Linux?

If yes, then the answer is "No, you may not borrow $20".

If no, then the answer is "PLEASE ASK YOUR QUESTION ON THE FORUM APPROPRIATE FOR YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM THANK YOU".

#3347 2013-08-10 03:44:00

mibitzi

Hi all,
Have been using arch for a while now and just made my first contribution smile

#3348 2013-08-10 22:50:56

kame

Hi all! First post from my first arch install. Thanks for the awesome distro, cheers!

#3349 2013-08-11 18:53:17

nomorewindows

Edward_Snowden wrote:

Hello everyone.

Thanks for this awesome distribution and all the resources around it. It's obvious that there's so much love and passion in the Linux community that allows such great things to happen.

Interesting user name anyway.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#3350 2013-08-12 04:16:16

sonander

Hello all on the Arch path! I've been using Arch more and more over the last year, coming from Debian... always a newbie because there is always something to learn and also always something to teach. I am a bit nervous, nonetheless, as I am having my first major issue with one of my Arch installs on a laptop that I haven't been able to solve through research, general trouble-shooting, and following found advice... to no solution. So, when you find my lameness in my first posts throughout the forum... go easy on me!

whoami

Board footer