You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-07 01:42:37

cfr

Password prompts from initramfs with 3.10.5 and rd.log

This issue began today and it is extremely minor - merely cosmetic. Still, I would like to know why it has changed.

Usually, I get a password prompt when the initramfs is loaded so that my LUKS container can be decrypted to access root and other partitions. Since today, I get two prompts. The first is new. The second only appears after I've typed my password.

The first is

A password is required to access the lvm volume:

I honestly cannot remember if I saw this before though I don't think so.
The second is

Enter passphrase for /dev/disk/by-uuid/<long number> :

That's the one I'm used to seeing before I enter the password rather than after.

I don't need to enter the password again - the prompt appears and then things carry on automagically.

I did a system update today (but I've done them in previous days, too, without rebooting). So I now have 3.10.5 kernel. The other change I thought might be an obvious possibility is that I added rd.log to my kernel command line to get logging in early user space (if that is the right terminology). I wanted the output of the fsck hook from the initramfs to show up in the journal. That works great - I'm just not sure whether the prompt thing might be a side-effect.

Is anyone familiar with this? It's merely cosmetic but the change in behaviour bothers me unless I understand why.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#2 2013-08-07 02:11:29

falconindy
Developer
Website

Re: Password prompts from initramfs with 3.10.5 and rd.log

cfr wrote:

The other change I thought might be an obvious possibility is that I added rd.log to my kernel command line to get logging in early user space (if that is the right terminology).

So, is it? I have my doubts, since the rd logger doesn't affect stdin.

Last edited by falconindy (2013-08-07 02:14:26)

Board footer