You are not logged in.

#351 2013-06-02 09:21:12

Box0

Re: zathura - a document viewer

Is there any way to use hyperlinks in presentation mode? In normal mode I just type 'f' and the hyperlinks show up, but this does not seem to work in presentation mode (F5). Am I missing something?

#352 2013-06-02 14:40:03

mhertz

By default, then fullscreen mode dosen't have some of the nice keybinds of normal mode...

I bind the following fullscreen commands which i miss, in my zathurarc, which is default in normal mode:

map [fullscreen] a adjust_window best-fit
map [fullscreen] s adjust_window width
map [fullscreen] f follow
map [fullscreen] <Tab> toggle_index
map [fullscreen] j scroll down
map [fullscreen] k scroll up

#353 2013-06-02 17:27:25

Box0

works like a charm, thank you.

#354 2013-06-10 14:45:35

spupy

What does the --reparent option do and for what purposes is it used?

Last edited by spupy (2013-07-09 15:49:31)

There are two types of people in this world - those who can count to 10 by using their fingers, and those who can count to 1023.

#355 2013-06-13 09:34:10

teateawhy
Website

Zathura works great for viewing documents; i have a problem with printing:
Zathura does not show the option "center and turn document" in the print menu, that means the document is not aligned with the page when printed.
Because of that the printed pages show only half of the actual page. The documents are cut in half.
Using evince for this purpose instead, it centers the document on the page, printing it perfectly. I would like to know how the centering option can be enabled in zathura.

#356 2013-06-18 15:36:42

innn

hello, I try to open pdf with zathura I have insatlled zathura-pdf-mupdf also but spits a complaint about some libmagic shared library

#357 2013-06-19 00:43:38

mlq
Website

innn wrote:

hello, I try to open pdf with zathura I have insatlled zathura-pdf-mupdf also but spits a complaint about some libmagic shared library

Please get in contact with the package maintainer, because the plugin probably needs a rebuild.

Kind regards

#358 2013-06-19 00:44:26

mlq
Website

Hello,

spupy wrote:

What does the --reparent option do and for what purposes is it used?

This is for the usage of zathura in combination with tabbed.

Kind regards

#359 2013-06-19 07:31:42

T.J.S.

Is there an option to disable mouse selection? Sometimes I click on the document to raise its window and the notification bar pops up because I accidentally clicked on some text.
I couldn't find anything in the man pages.

#360 2013-06-19 17:27:39

mlq
Website

Hello,

T.J.S. wrote:

Is there an option to disable mouse selection? Sometimes I click on the document to raise its window and the notification bar pops up because I accidentally clicked on some text.
I couldn't find anything in the man pages.

No, thats not possible.

Kind regards

#361 2013-06-19 18:17:07

ball

If zathura is set as preferred application for pdf, then xdg-open will fail on file names which contain whitespaces:

$ xdg-open a\ file.pdf
START /usr/bin/zathura a file.pdf
error: File 'a' does not exist
error: File 'file.pdf' does not exist

Proposed fix: add the %U in the zathura.desktop file:

Exec=zathura %U

Edit: I just filed a bug, and it was immediately stated that this issue has been fixed.

Last edited by ball (2013-06-20 09:40:30)

#362 2013-06-19 21:02:41

cardboardartisan

Perhaps I'm missing something, but "scroll-page-aware" seems to be enabled by default for me and I can't seem to get it to turn off.  When I hit Page Down, it stops at page boundaries, even if I add "set scroll-page-aware false" to zathurarc.  I find this behavior very distracting.  Any suggestions?

Edit: I misunderstood the syntax of map, and failed to map page down to "scroll full-down" rather than "next", or whatever the default is.  Fixed.

Last edited by cardboardartisan (2013-06-19 22:31:38)

#363 2013-06-24 09:54:42

yulan6248

Can I specify a different browser for following a web link? Currently zathura is opening the link in firefox for me

#364 2013-06-24 11:48:55

mlq
Website

yulan6248 wrote:

Can I specify a different browser for following a web link? Currently zathura is opening the link in firefox for me

Set your default browser to whatever browser you prefer. (see xdg-open, $BROWSER)

Best regards

#365 2013-06-24 14:32:44

yulan6248

Thanks. Works for me now.

Btw, I'd very much like to see some 'commenting' feature in zathura, even if it's just very light feature such as adding a note; as a student I oftentimes run into the need of taking a note in a pdf but as of now I have to switch to another application to do it.

#366 2013-06-30 22:18:24

ryzion

Has anyone managed to use the synctex feature with gvim and vim-latex?

#367 2013-07-09 15:51:10

spupy

Is it possible to pre-render the next page in the background while looking at the current one and put it in the page cache? Rendering (for me) is quite slow and "Loading..." really breaks the flow every time I switch a slide.

Last edited by spupy (2013-07-09 15:52:26)

There are two types of people in this world - those who can count to 10 by using their fingers, and those who can count to 1023.

#368 2013-08-05 22:38:21

LuX

Hello!

I'm an everyday user of zathura for pdf documents.

I'm not sure about what "plugin" means for it, but it seems to me that zathura can be used via plugins as an overlay of other document viewers, like mupdf for pdf files, so that it offers the power of these viewers with a common (and more user-friendly, vim-like) interface. Thus it could be used as an image viewer as well provided an appropriate plugin is build for it, right?

I do appreciate sxiv as an image viewer, but dislike its interface and specially the lack of an 'open' command : it cannot be lauched alone, it must be lauched with a file name or a folder name as an argument, and there is no way to browse through the user's directories in order to launch another image from inside sxiv. This is very much like the mupdf's way of doing when it is used alone. 

So my (possibly stupid) question is: does there exists some kind of unofficial plugin for using zathura as an image viewer through sxiv, just like for mupdf? If not, do you think that it would be interesting / feasible / not to hard to build one?

#369 2013-08-06 06:14:13

mlq
Website

Hello,

Plugin means that there is something which extends the list of supported file types of zathura. By default zathura does not support any file at all, therefore you need to install plugins accordingly. There are plugins for pdf files which uses a different backend (zathura-pdf-poppler uses the poppler library which is also used in evince and zathura-pdf-mupdf uses the mupdf library that also comes with the mupdf viewer), for djvu files (zathura-pdf-djvu), for PostScript (zathura-pdf-ps) and for comic books (zathura-cb).

does there exists some kind of unofficial plugin for using zathura as an image viewer through sxiv, just like for mupdf?

Since your concept of the plugin system was not entirely correct, there does not exist such a plugin. But it would be pretty straight forward to write a plugin for image files (this code already exists in zathura-cb).

Best regards

#370 2013-08-06 13:39:17

LuX

Hello!

mlq wrote:

zathura-pdf-mupdf uses the mupdf library that also comes with the mupdf viewer

I see... so the analogous for sxiv would be a plugin which would use the imlib2 library.

But it would be pretty straight forward to write a plugin for image files (this code already exists in zathura-cb).

This is good to know. There's an idea here for more advanced zathura's fans... ;-)
I will take a look but I don't think that I can do it myself: I'm not at all a programer, just an ordinary user and I don't know anything about C, libraries, and so on.

Thank you for your clear and quick answer.

LuX

#371 2013-08-06 14:40:36

mlq
Website

Hi!

LuX wrote:

This is good to know. There's an idea here for more advanced zathura's fans... ;-)
I will take a look but I don't think that I can do it myself: I'm not at all a programer, just an ordinary user and I don't know anything about C, libraries, and so on.

Here we go. Since its no magic, I've implemented it and you can download it here. Just extract the archive and run `make install` and you should be able to open all images that are supported by the GdkPixbuf-Implementation. Check img.c or the .desktop file for a list of supported mime types.

Best regards,
Moritz

#372 2013-08-07 10:36:55

LuX

Hi!

In a word: FANTASTIC!!!

A big, big, thank you! And many thanks to zathura's developper, who made such a great job!

Now it's time to complain... ;-)))
I mean: playing the role of a (very first) beta-tester, I have to report my observations.

I have installed the archive in a sub-subdirectory of /usr/local and modified config.mk accordingly:
PREFIX ?= /usr/local
Then I have run 'make install' and got no error message.

1) I tried it with JPG and PNG files and it worked perfectly, but I got the following error message:

$ zathura IMG_0218.JPG &
[1] 2487

$ error: plugin: already registered for filetype image/vnd.microsoft.icon

error: plugin: already registered for filetype image/jp2

error: plugin: already registered for filetype image/bmp

2) Fixed GIF images are displayed just as well as JPG ones, but animated GIF's are not: zathura opens with a blank screen (actually black for me).

$ zathura animated.gif &
[1] 2515

$ error: plugin: already registered for filetype image/vnd.microsoft.icon

error: unknown file type

Thanks again,
LuX

#373 2013-08-07 10:42:54

mlq
Website

Hello,

You're welcome! It does not support any animations (that wouldnt be possible with the current zathura core). The 'already registered file types' result probably from the list of supported file types since it apparently combines some of them to a single one, but since I was lazy I just copied all supported mime types to the list, but thats nothing to worry about (its not a real error in this case).

Kind regards

#374 2013-08-07 22:06:37

LuX

Hello mlq

Actually my test file 'animated.gif' was corrupted. With another animated GIF file zathura displayed, instead of a blank page, the first image of the sequence. Thus it is not so bad! I don't care anyhow: I need an image viewer mostly for my photos, which are all JPG files.

As usually with image viewers it would be nice also to jump easily (by pressing just one key) to the next/previous image in the directory of the current image, and to display in the status bar a selection of information on this image (size, timestamp... anything which is the output a comman applied to the basename of the file) but I suppose that this is not possible.

Thanks again, and best regards,
LuX

#375 2013-08-15 22:26:01

measure

Hello,

First, I wanted to comment that with the recent update to  zathura 0.2.4-1 and girara-gtk2 0.1.7-1, the padding has been removed from the statusbar, and there doesn't appear to be an option to set this.  A google search shows that there have been some recent changes which might be the problem, though I have no idea.  As a remark, I do not have girara-gtk3 or gtk3 installed on my system (all the X programs I use are apparently gtk2-based, except for picard, which annoyingly uses qt4).  I temporarily removed my zathurarc file to make sure it wasn't just user error, and it was still an issue.

Anyway,

ryzion wrote:

Has anyone managed to use the synctex feature with gvim and vim-latex?

I have done so, for vim at least.  My solution is a bit ugly, which is due to the fact that vim doesn't get a server name until it's initialized, which is why I use the VimEnter event below.  In my .vimrc I have

let g:Tex_CompileRule_pdf='/usr/bin/latexmk'
au VimEnter *.tex let g:Tex_ViewRuleComplete_pdf=
			\'/usr/bin/zathura --fork -s -x "vim --servername '.v:servername.
			\' --remote +silent\ \%{line} \%{input}" $*.pdf >& /dev/null' 

My compile rule for latexmk in .latexmkrc is

$pdflatex='pdflatex -file-line-error -synctex=1 -interaction=nonstopmode %S';

Note that the backslashes at the beginning of the second and third line of the VimEnter command are there to make what should be a single line into multiple lines.

Finally, if you use just vim, I think you need to alias vim to something like

alias vim='vim --servername vim'

Otherwise, if I recall correctly, it doesn't get a server name at all.

This solution doesn't really depend on latexmk, but I prefer it.  Really, I wanted vim to fork an instance of latexmk when I start editing a tex file and then kill it when I exit, but this was even uglier than the current solution.  I hardly use synctex as it is, and the hideousness of this solution is making me want to clean up my configuration files!  But: with these, using the instance of zathura that vim-latexsuite calls and pressing pressing ctrl+click moves has the desired synctex effect.

Thanks,
Ryan

Board footer