You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-08 19:52:49

RandoMMeR

[solved - luck?]wifi connection lost after arch-chroot

hello, im installing arch from uefi enabled usb thumb drive, i installed base system as in begginers guide, generated fstab, arch-chroot'ed, but when i want to install something via pacman, i got no internet connection. when i exit chrooted environment, im connected via wifi to my AP, and connection works. i got no entries in /etc/resolv.conf
cannot connect via eth0 because i dont have drivers for it (atheros ar8161)
wifi: atheros ar9485

help please hmm

Last edited by RandoMMeR (2013-08-08 20:21:20)

#2 2013-08-08 20:03:11

WonderWoofy

Re: [solved - luck?]wifi connection lost after arch-chroot

You have no entries in your resolv.conf inside or outside your chroot?  If you have nothing in the resolv.conf outside the chroot, I'm not sure how you are using the internet at all...

The arch-chroot actually bind mounts the /etc/resolv.conf to <chroot-mountpoint>/etc/resolv.conf (as not to potentially disturb what you might have in the chroot's resolv.conf).  So maybe once you are arch-chroot'ed, try switching to another TTY and see if that bind mount is in place.  Otherwise, you might be able to just define a nameserver in the chroot by simply manually editing it.  Google's public DNS is convenient because it is so easy to remember (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

How are you connecting to the AP outside the chroot?  Are you using wifi-menu and dhcp?  Or are you defining a static IP?  Are you using the basic tools manually (wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd, for example)?

#3 2013-08-08 20:05:43

alphaniner

In lieu of fixing the network issues, you can just use pacman from the usb environment to install to the installed system:

pacman -S <packages> -r <mountpoint of installed system>

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#4 2013-08-08 20:20:58

RandoMMeR

as weird as it sounds, network didnt work in chroot until i posted on bunch of forums big_smile i swear that i was connected to network while resolv.conf was empty. after couple of reboots there was ip of AP in resolv.conf, but it didnt copy over to chroot. i added appropriate nameserver and network works now. thanks for support wonderWoofy

@alphaniner: thanks for that command! i was googling something like that but i didnt quite find what i was looking for. i will also try to install couple of packages out of chroot, just to get a hang of it smile

thanks

Board footer