You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-07 14:38:06

Grant

[SOLVED] Kernel panic after upgrade

Hello everybody.

As you can read, I've gotten a kernel panic when I have upgraded the kernel version to 3.10.5 .
Now I'm going to tell you how I've gotten it. I was watching a film, with (s)mplayer, and it crashed twice because of X. The first time it's "simply" crashed (with KDE and other children) and then I started it again using startx.
But the second time, the kernel went in panic directly. And so I decided to upgrade the entire system, hoping for a bugfix.
While upgrading (unfortunately I don't know about what), the kernel went in panic again and obviously at the reboot Syslinux wasn't able to boot the kernel's image.

Thanks for your attention,
Grant.

How to solve about ldconfig troubles
-Install pkgfile. It will help you to find what is the owner of that file (in case pacman -Qo fails);
-Run pacman -Sy --force <package_name>
-Now you should have solved. Good luck smile

Last edited by Grant (2013-08-08 18:28:14)

#2 2013-08-07 17:12:02

salafrance

Re: [SOLVED] Kernel panic after upgrade

What I'd suggest is to boot from your install disc/stick, mount all of your usual filesystems under a common directory (I use /mnt/fs1, created specifically for this kind of operation). Start with the root partition.

Then,  mount copies of your /proc and /sys filesystems using the mount bind option, e.g. 'mount --bind /sys /mnt/fs1/sys'.

Finally, use the chroot command to change the effective root, such that you are running from your customary root filesystem, rather than that of the install disc.

You *should* now - fingers crossed - be able to run pacman -Syu.

Hope this helps.

#3 2013-08-07 21:03:38

Grant

Fortunately, I have another kernel release, so I can simply downgrade the package.
I tried, but it didn't work.
This is what I do:

loadkeys it
mount /dev/sda7 /mnt #my root partition
mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/home 
mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc 
mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
chroot /mnt /usr/bin/bash

and now the trouble: both using the previous kernel version and latest, ldconfig says tons of times "File (...) is empty, not checked.
I will post what it says exactly later. (taken by pacman.log)
What should I do? Thanks a lot!

#4 2013-08-07 21:11:31

WonderWoofy

You probably have some things that were partially updated during the crash.  You should chroot and then use the pacman.log to determine what was being updated and then reinstall those things.  There is the possibity that you might run into some "file exists in the filesystem" errors, as there is no real way to tell precisely what got written to the drive and what was waiting to be written.  So just do what you would normally do with those errors; investigate the situation, move files if necessary, and then try again.

#5 2013-08-07 21:31:20

salafrance

If your attempt to repair the system does not succeed, boot from the installer and copy your system's /home, /etc, and possibly the /usr/local trees to an external drive using tar, e.g. 'tar czvf /mnt/external/home.tgz /mnt/fs1/home', and then reinstall and upgrade to the latest release.

After you've done this, you can restore the home directory tree and restore elements of the /etc configuration files if and when you find it necessary.

Incidentally, is there anything in your hardware configuration that might cause incompatibility with the latest kernel? For me, the release is totally reliable.

#6 2013-08-08 10:20:30

Grant

WonderWoofy wrote:

You probably have some things that were partially updated during the crash.  You should chroot and then use the pacman.log to determine what was being updated and then reinstall those things.  There is the possibity that you might run into some "file exists in the filesystem" errors, as there is no real way to tell precisely what got written to the drive and what was waiting to be written.  So just do what you would normally do with those errors; investigate the situation, move files if necessary, and then try again.

Do you want to say that those empty files, are those ones which pacman was trying to install during the upgrade? If so, should I reinstall each packet that was in the upgrade as here has said? Or what else?

These are some relevant parts of pacman.log:
What's happened when the kernel panic occurred: http://pastebin.com/2w6gXbng
upgrading after kernel panic: http://pastebin.com/i9c2nBxG
ldconfig troubles: http://pastebin.com/vZgws0WW

salafrance wrote:

Incidentally, is there anything in your hardware configuration that might cause incompatibility with the latest kernel? For me, the release is totally reliable.

No, I don't think. I am almost sure that solving ldconfig troubles, everything will be ok; I hope it at least smile .

Last edited by Grant (2013-08-08 10:45:33)

#7 2013-08-08 15:08:33

salafrance

Grant wrote:
WonderWoofy wrote:

You probably have some things that were partially updated during the crash.  You should chroot and then use the pacman.log to determine what was being updated and then reinstall those things.  There is the possibity that you might run into some "file exists in the filesystem" errors, as there is no real way to tell precisely what got written to the drive and what was waiting to be written.

Do you want to say that those empty files, are those ones which pacman was trying to install during the upgrade?

I probably shouldn't speak for WonderWoofy, but I believe this is what he/she means; I agree, for what it's worth. The only point on which I differ is that I feel that it may involve more effort to repair than to reinstall and restore from backup. That said, my particular cognitive bias is that I'm lazy; If you have time, it can be an useful learning experience.

Grant wrote:

No, I don't think. I am almost sure that solving ldconfig troubles, everything will be ok; I hope it at least smile .

You're probably right, although do remember to create a new initial ramdisk with the fixed drivers; and good luck smile

#8 2013-08-08 15:45:40

Grant

Well, I have solved every ldconfig trouble: I'm gonna say how later, when we solve this last trouble.
When I try to boot both images made by mkinitcpio, the kernels go in panic saying that they cannot find the init. I use e4rat, but it isn't the problem though.
Mkinitcpio had a strange behavior: initially it didn't show any output when I ran it to make the images. And so, I reinstalled it with
pacman -Sy --force mkinitcpio
and after, it seemed working well. Indeed, now I can see its output on stdout and its output files.
I don't know if it's correlated, but I always run it when I am in the chroot mode.

#9 2013-08-08 17:59:02

salafrance

Hmm...

The mkinitcpio command is a BASH script - you can get a lot more information if you edit it and temporarily add the line 'set -x' (minus quotes, after the comments at the start of the script

#
# Stuff

set -x

Like so...

It's probably a bit naughty but I've done it myself when I've had issues with mkinitcpio.

#10 2013-08-08 18:17:33

Grant

Could looks weird, but it is so. I have been trying lots of things, googled and googled for some hours, but without success.
With 3.10.5 I was not able to boot; therefore I  decided to downgrade to 3.10.3 (fortunately I didn't remove it!) and everything worked. Yes, probably there is a bug in that release: with my system at least.
I will upgrade when another release comes out. That's it.
Thanks for answers,
Grant.

Last edited by Grant (2013-08-08 18:20:32)

#11 2013-08-08 20:31:49

Onyros

I had some trouble with the 3.10.5-1 upgrade myself, but it happened only on one of my machines. Still, "good" to know I'm not alone. I had trouble with ldconfig warnings, too. In my case, I had to reinstall (forcefully) util-linux,  but it all looks very much the same. Somehow, on our upgrades, we ended up with corrupted files.

Glad you solved yours, too wink

#12 2013-08-08 21:12:50

Grant

I had to reinstal util-linux too. In the kernel source code, there might be one or even more bugs which occurr only on certain machines.
Probably I will upgrade my system less frequently (now I do it once at week ), after this event.

#13 2013-08-09 01:48:01

salafrance

It's always a little unnerving to see a kernel update in the pipeline, but hey, live fast, die young, leave a good-looking corpse smile.

Board footer