You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-06 21:10:10

iamdk

intel/amd integrated/discrete another vgaswitcheroo topic

Hi everybody,
I am currently running Arch Linux without larger problems on Dell 5520 Inspiron laptop with Intel integrated HD4000 and AMD discrete HD6670.
As you may suspect, the problem is with vgaswitcheroo.
All requirements as in various wiki-s and howtos are completed, and still after many tries i get black screen after trying "echo DDIS > vgaswitcheroo/switch".
Of course computer is running properly, trying "echo IGD > vgaswitcheroo/switch" over ssh or just by blindly typing in terminal, restores normal output.

I would happy if somebody with similar hardware could share their working solution. Just I'd be happy to run more demanding 3D apps.

The catalyst drivers works by using theirs commands, but i prefer opensource drivers, just stating it (xserver incompatibility, drivers quality etc.).

Any logs are required? got plenty of them. smile

#2 2013-08-07 00:46:31

asaltz

Re: intel/amd integrated/discrete another vgaswitcheroo topic

I am having the same problem on an HP Envy 14 with Intel i965 and ATI Radeon Mobility 5650.  I'm getting pretty good at typing blindly but hopefully someone has a solution.  (logs)

#3 2013-08-09 02:35:58

asaltz

Re: intel/amd integrated/discrete another vgaswitcheroo topic

I solved the problem with a ATI 5650, so maybe this will help you.  This kernel is patched to stop the intel card from shutting off the backlight when you switch to the ATI card.  I tried to patch that into the usual Arch kernel, but that's above my current level of ability.  I ended up compiling the intel-drm kernel and running off that.  The usual stuff with switcheroo works.  The only sticking point was that I had to download some additional firmware for my card, but that's covered in the Archwiki page on "traditional" kernel compilation.

Hope this helps!

Board footer