You are not logged in.

#176 2013-06-29 16:08:41

spsf64
Website

Re: [Script] Archlinux Ultimate Install Script

georgi-it wrote:

Hello, i am sorry that this is gonna sound noobish but i was wondering how to actually use this script. At what point exactly? Should i repartitision and the download the script somewhere or load the cd then a USB and execute it from the USB. A little guidance would be great. Thank you guys in advance.

I'm no expert, but this is what I did:

1- boot the archlinux iso (cd or usb)
2- follow the instructions https://github.com/helmuthdu/aui on how to download the script
3- cd to /root/aui
4- ./ais
5- reboot
6 ./aui

Sergio S.

#177 2013-06-29 17:05:50

georgi-it

senorsmile wrote:
georgi-it wrote:

Hello, i am sorry that this is gonna sound noobish but i was wondering how to actually use this script. At what point exactly? Should i repartitision and the download the script somewhere or load the cd then a USB and execute it from the USB. A little guidance would be great. Thank you guys in advance.

There are two parts to the script: The system installer and the applications installer. 

1) system installer
./ais
You can use it to install an entire Arch Linux system.  It takes you through every step.

2) applications installer
./aui
You can use this mode to install all of your favorite applications, desktop environment, etc. AFTER you have installed the OS and have rebooted.

So i have to add it on the disk with the arch installation or load it from another source. Then i will execute the script just after the first boot (on first sight of the console and after i login as root) ? I am talking about the AIS. Thank you smile

Last edited by georgi-it (2013-06-29 17:06:08)

#178 2013-06-29 17:07:26

georgi-it

spsf64 wrote:
georgi-it wrote:

I'm no expert, but this is what I did:

1- boot the archlinux iso (cd or usb)
2- follow the instructions https://github.com/helmuthdu/aui on how to download the script
3- cd to /root/aui
4- ./ais
5- reboot
6 ./aui

That is what i was thinking. I am gonna give it a shot smile. Thanks

#179 2013-06-29 17:08:33

senorsmile

Correct.  I usually start sshd and connect to the machine running the livecd over ssh, then execute the following

pacman -Syyu --noconfirm
pacman -S vim wget --needed --noconfirm
wget --no-check-certificate https://github.com/helmuthdu/aui/tarball/master -O - | tar xz
cd helmuthdu*

then

./ais
georgi-it wrote:
senorsmile wrote:
georgi-it wrote:

There are two parts to the script: The system installer and the applications installer. 

1) system installer
./ais
You can use it to install an entire Arch Linux system.  It takes you through every step.

./aui
You can use this mode to install all of your favorite applications, desktop environment, etc. AFTER you have installed the OS and have rebooted.

So i have to add it on the disk with the arch installation or load it from another source. Then i will execute the script just after the first boot (on first sight of the console and after i login as root) ? I am talking about the AIS. Thank you smile

#180 2013-06-29 17:18:27

georgi-it

senorsmile wrote:

Correct.  I usually start sshd and connect to the machine running the livecd over ssh, then execute the following

pacman -Syyu --noconfirm
pacman -S vim wget --needed --noconfirm
wget --no-check-certificate https://github.com/helmuthdu/aui/tarball/master -O - | tar xz
cd helmuthdu*

then

./ais
georgi-it wrote:
senorsmile wrote:

1) system installer
./ais

./aui

Okay, big THANK YOU my friend. I will write back only if i have problems. Have a good day smile

#181 2013-07-19 13:28:18

manolos

Does anyone have problems installing ais on latest arch iso? (2013/07/01)
After the installation, when i reboot the system doesnt start properly.

Last edited by manolos (2013-07-19 13:29:18)

#182 2013-07-19 14:03:51

spsf64
Website

manolos wrote:

I tried yesterday and used syslinux automatic install, it pointed to the wrong partition, had to edit syslinux.conf manually...

Sergio S.

#183 2013-07-20 15:27:54

manolos

manolos wrote:

It was my fault. Everything is ok. Just one thing:

Add "SigLevel = Optional TrustAll" for mate in /etc/pacman.conf.

#184 2013-07-21 16:59:20

scjet
Banned

Hi, and thanks very much for the ais/aui scripts. It worked great.
But, just a couple of things, minor and major, that I thought i would provide feedback for.

MINOR:
-while running "ais" and during the "# LOCALE" setup, I noticed that options "76)", and "77" you repeated the same "en_US".
-at the end of the "aui" script, at the "# INSTALL COMPLETED", it has a small typo: "Reboot yourt system..."
wink

MAJOR (...depending on your viewpoint):
-some people have laptops,..., with only a wireless connection, as oppposed to wired-LAN, (note: this is non-Virtual setup), and unfortunately "ais" doesn't install the required pkgs for a wireless-only setup.
So, I simply modified the "ais" script by adding the dialog, iw, wireless_tools, wpa_actiond, and wpa_supplicant pkgs to the "pacstrap" line,
so that upon reboot, I can easily bring up my wireless(wpa) connection again, with a simple:
# ip link set wlp3s0 up
# wifi-menu wlp3s0

- I think it would be a good idea to include those core wireless pkgs during the "ais" installation.

Anyway, @helmuthdu, thanks again for this Ultimate Arch Install Scripts.

Last edited by scjet (2013-07-21 17:27:04)

The "BSD" things in life are "Free", and "Open", and so is "Arch"

#185 2013-07-21 20:32:20

manolos

I would like to ask something.
Is it normal on boot, after the basic installation, on dmesg not to see a lot of things and [OK] or [Fail] next to them? On my old installation I use to see lot of text with processes and stuff before the system start. Now it just starts quick with only 3 or 4 errors about AMD microcode and then goes to Slim login. Sorry if my question is confusing.

#186 2013-07-22 14:50:13

scjet
Banned

manolos wrote:

Is it normal on boot, after the basic installation, on dmesg not to see a lot of things and [OK] or [Fail] next to them? On my old installation I use to see lot of text with processes and stuff before the system start. Now it just starts quick with only 3 or 4 errors about AMD microcode and then goes to Slim login. Sorry if my question is confusing.

(with grub) I used to just remove the "quiet" option in /etc/default/grub, and then run # grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
#pacman -S amd-ucode

Last edited by scjet (2013-07-22 15:01:05)

#187 2013-07-22 15:13:04

manolos

scjet wrote:
manolos wrote:

(with grub) I used to just remove the "quiet" option in /etc/default/grub, and then run # grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
#pacman -S amd-ucode

Thanks for your reply.
Nice, amd-ucode solved the other problem.
Grub is already quiet. So is it normal for the system to start in 1 second after grub2 screen?

#188 2013-07-30 14:02:39

BlueTac

Do you know if this works on RaspberryPi?

#189 2013-08-09 11:00:44

helmuthdu

Sorry, i was only checking github for issues.
I will check all the bugs reported here. Thanks for all feedback.

Last edited by helmuthdu (2013-08-09 15:25:27)

#190 2013-08-09 12:03:55

helmuthdu

BlueTac wrote:

Do you know if this works on RaspberryPi?

If its the same process from the "Beginners' Guide" then it should work.

#191 2013-08-09 15:17:00

helmuthdu

scjet wrote:

But, just a couple of things, minor and major, that I thought i would provide feedback for.

MINOR:
-while running "ais" and during the "# LOCALE" setup, I noticed that options "76)", and "77" you repeated the same "en_US".
-at the end of the "aui" script, at the "# INSTALL COMPLETED", it has a small typo: "Reboot yourt system..."
wink

-some people have laptops,..., with only a wireless connection, as oppposed to wired-LAN, (note: this is non-Virtual setup), and unfortunately "ais" doesn't install the required pkgs for a wireless-only setup.
So, I simply modified the "ais" script by adding the dialog, iw, wireless_tools, wpa_actiond, and wpa_supplicant pkgs to the "pacstrap" line,
so that upon reboot, I can easily bring up my wireless(wpa) connection again, with a simple:
# ip link set wlp3s0 up
# wifi-menu wlp3s0

- I think it would be a good idea to include those core wireless pkgs during the "ais" installation.

Checklist
MINOR
-I run the command and only have founded 1 en_US, here is the code that i use to generate the list:

cat /etc/locale.gen | grep _ | sed 's/\..*$//' | sed '/@/d' | awk '{print $1}' | uniq | sed 's/#//g'

-Fixed wink

MAJOR
-This was already done, but wasnt that good and little buggy. I have done alot of tweaks, it should work way better.
-Now it will check if there is a wireless device and install those packages with pacstrap in ais.

Thanks for the feedback big_smile

#192 2013-08-09 15:25:05

helmuthdu

manolos wrote:
manolos wrote:

It was my fault. Everything is ok. Just one thing:

Add "SigLevel = Optional TrustAll" for mate in /etc/pacman.conf.

Fixed wink

#193 2013-08-12 20:18:22

scjet
Banned

helmuthdu wrote:
scjet wrote:

MINOR:
wink

# ip link set wlp3s0 up
# wifi-menu wlp3s0

Checklist
MINOR
-I run the command and only have founded 1 en_US, here is the code that i use to generate the list:

cat /etc/locale.gen | grep _ | sed 's/\..*$//' | sed '/@/d' | awk '{print $1}' | uniq | sed 's/#//g'

-Fixed wink

MAJOR
-This was already done, but wasnt that good and little buggy. I have done alot of tweaks, it should work way better.
-Now it will check if there is a wireless device and install those packages with pacstrap in ais.

Thanks for the feedback big_smile

Hi Helmut

just a quick note, I think you forgot your $MOUNTPOINT variable on the "pacstrap" line for adding wireless support, after your $WIRELESS_DEV test ?
In "ais", It presently reads:

pacstrap iw wireless_tools wpa_actiond wpa_supplicant

but it should read:

pacstrap $MOUNTPOINT dialog iw wireless_tools wpa_actiond wpa_supplicant

typo's wink
after that,...,  it works great, and thanks again.

Last edited by scjet (2013-08-12 20:21:06)

#194 2013-08-13 01:25:37

TheLaughingMan

The aui script keeps failing.

#195 2013-08-13 01:33:19

cfr

TheLaughingMan wrote:

The aui script keeps failing.

If you are installing for the first time, you should not be using this script in any case. (I could be wrong but I am guessing from your other post and this one that you have not installed Arch before.) Please use the Beginners' Guide.

If you don't feel ready to use those instructions, your best bet is to find an alternative distro, get some experience and return to Arch when you are ready. Even if the script worked perfectly for you, you would still need to understand your system in order to configure and maintain it.

Scripts like this are great when you know how to do things without them. They are virtually useless if your ability to do something depends on them.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#196 2013-08-13 23:09:19

TheLaughingMan

I have install arch at lease 4 times already. I tested the script with the latest iso of arch. The ais script works fine but the aui just fails at least on the newest iso. I haven't tried it on a older one.

#197 2013-08-13 23:38:30

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

"keeps failing" and "just fails" are not useful -- if you want help with this you will need to be much more specific about how and where the script fails.

Of those four previous installs, how many were done with the Beginners' Guide and without any helper scripts, and how many were successful?

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#198 2013-08-13 23:50:37

cfr

OK. In that case, you should have at least some idea of what information to post here. Just saying it is failing is not likely to give the script's author much of a clue, is it?

That is, how are you using the script? What errors do you get? Or what doesn't work?

Last edited by cfr (2013-08-13 23:51:10)

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#199 2013-08-14 01:12:19

TheLaughingMan

ok here's what the aui fail is http://puu.sh/41uOB.PNG . and here is a small one on ais which doesn't effect install much http://puu.sh/41uOb.PNG . On the aui it looks like this http://puu.sh/41uOB.PNG most if not all the way through.

#200 2013-08-14 01:44:18

cfr

That doesn't give much idea what the problem is though. What you need to do is compare the known-good-config you get when you install using Arch install scripts with the config generated when you try using AUI. Or I guess you could compare with the config produced when you use AIS but the ones you configured yourself will probably be the easiest to use for comparison purposes.

Note that I am assuming that 2ManyDogs has an overly suspicious mind although I would be dishonest if I were to dissociate myself entirely from those doubts. That is, it would be simpler if you would answer 2ManyDogs's question about your previous installs.

Last edited by cfr (2013-08-14 01:45:03)

Board footer