You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-04 11:13:26

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Settings in /etc/sysctl.conf overwritten [SOLVED]

I added a new line to /etc/sysctl.conf setting the vm.dirty_ratio to 3 (line is simply `vm.dirty_ratio = 3`).  I can invoke it by running `sysctl -p` so I know the syntax is correct.  This setting is however not loaded upon a reboot.  The systemd-sysctl.service is however kicked off just  fine and completes without errors.  I have also tried removing the line from /etc/sysctl.conf and placing it in /etc/sysctl.d/dirty.conf but again, it is not honored at boot.  What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: The solution is in post #31 - acknowledgement to chp for pointing me to it.  Note that I also changed to topic to a more relevant one.

Last edited by graysky (2013-08-10 12:27:41)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#2 2013-08-04 14:27:29

Leonid.I

Re: Settings in /etc/sysctl.conf overwritten [SOLVED]

Nothing. Something else on your system resets this parameter, or this file doesn't yet exist when systemd-sysctl is started... Try putting your setting in a separate service file which is called late in the boot process, e.g. after network-target.

Arch Linux is more than just GNU/Linux -- it's an adventure
pkill -9 systemd

#3 2013-08-04 15:25:54

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

I hadn't considered that something is overriding the setting after systemd-sysctl runs... as I understand it, if true, this is not the expected behavior and needs to be corrected.  Perhaps someone else will post to clarify.

#4 2013-08-06 23:59:54

falconindy
Developer
Website

graysky wrote:

I added a new line to /etc/sysctl.conf setting the vm.dirty_ratio to 3 (line is simply `vm.dirty_ratio = 3`).  I can invoke it by running `sysctl -p` so I know the syntax is correct.

...and what about if you run systemd-sysctl? Is it applied then? You can set SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=debug as an environment variable to get more output....

graysky wrote:

as I understand it, if true, this is not the expected behavior and needs to be corrected

I'm not sure who or what it is you're faulting here.

Last edited by falconindy (2013-08-07 00:01:25)

#5 2013-08-07 19:51:49

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

falconindy wrote:

...and what about if you run systemd-sysctl? Is it applied then? You can set SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=debug as an environment variable to get more output....

So systemd is launching it automatically at boot but the two settings to the /proc/sys/vm/* are omitted.  If I manually restart the service it, these changes get committed to the system.  Does this sound like a bug to you?  Here is my complete /etc/sysctl.conf less the commented lines:

vm.dirty_ratio = 3
vm.dirty_background_ratio = 2
net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies = 1
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding = 0
falconindy wrote:

I'm not sure who or what it is you're faulting here.

What I mean is that the service should commit all valid changes within /etc/sysctl,conf when it kicks off... if it doesn't do that, I something is wrong.

Last edited by graysky (2013-08-07 19:52:17)

#6 2013-08-07 20:34:30

WonderWoofy

It was my understanding that the things in /etc/sysctl.conf will take priority over the things in the sysctl.d directories.  But I was also under the impression at first that if it was going to parse the things in the sysctl.d directories lexicograpically and replace/overwrite any entries which had already been listed.  But it turns out that it will apply whatever it finds first in those sysctl.d directories and then ignore any others that try to set the same file.  So my understanding of the situation is not perfect.

Can you put your stuff in /etc/sysctl.d/00-graysky.conf and see if they get set (or whatever you want to call it, just give it a lower number than anything else in /usr/lib/sysctl.d or /etc/sysctl.d).

Otherwise, you should do what falconindy suggested and run

# SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=debug /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-sysctl 

I have my sysrq value set in /etc/sysctl.d/00-custom.conf, so I get this when I run that

Duplicate assignment of kernel/sysrq in file '/usr/lib/sysctl.d/50-default.conf', ignoring.

#7 2013-08-07 20:55:45

falconindy
Developer
Website

graysky wrote:

So systemd is launching it automatically at boot but the two settings to the /proc/sys/vm/* are omitted.

How exactly are you verifying this?

graysky wrote:

If I manually restart the service it, these changes get committed to the system.  Does this sound like a bug to you?

No, it sounds to me like something else unrelated to systemd-sysctl is overriding the value.

#8 2013-08-07 23:09:48

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

falconindy wrote:

How exactly are you verifying this?

I just interogated the settings in /etc/systemctl.conf one-by-one following a fresh boot:

vm.dirty_ratio = 3
vm.dirty_background_ratio = 2
net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies = 1
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding = 0
% cat /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio
% cat /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio
% cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies  
% cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward    
% cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/forwarding 

% sudo systemctl status systemd-sysctl.service 
systemd-sysctl.service - Apply Kernel Variables
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-sysctl.service; static)
   Active: active (exited) since Wed 2013-08-07 19:03:11 EDT; 4min 11s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysctl.service(8)
           man:sysctl.d(5)
  Process: 181 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-sysctl (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Warning: Journal has been rotated since unit was started. Log output is incomplete or unavailable.
falconindy wrote:

No, it sounds to me like something else unrelated to systemd-sysctl is overriding the value.

You could be right.  When I manually run the service for a 2nd time everything checks out:

% sudo systemctl restart systemd-sysctl

% sudo systemctl status systemd-sysctl.service
systemd-sysctl.service - Apply Kernel Variables
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-sysctl.service; static)
   Active: active (exited) since Wed 2013-08-07 19:08:38 EDT; 3s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysctl.service(8)
           man:sysctl.d(5)
  Process: 2273 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-sysctl (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Aug 07 19:08:38 ease systemd[1]: Started Apply Kernel Variables.

% cat /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio
% cat /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio
% cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies  
% cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward    
% cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/forwarding 

Not too sure where to look for the culprit.  In a reverse type of search, I looked for config files that may set 'dirty_ratio' but found only /etc/sysctl.conf

# find /etc -type f -exec grep -h dirty_ratio {} \; -print
vm.dirty_ratio = 3
/etc/sysctl.conf

How does the distro set this value to 10 by default?  Perhaps that runs after systemd-systemctl.service?

Last edited by graysky (2013-08-07 23:19:44)

#9 2013-08-08 00:38:01

cfr

You're not using laptop-mode-tools are you? Those aren't default settings for lmt but your grep would not have caught configuration for the lmt package.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#10 2013-08-08 00:40:10

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Nope, this is a workstation.

#11 2013-08-08 01:03:07

cfr

Tell it to imagine it's a laptop - laptop-mode-tools seems to be able to insist on its settings!

Last edited by cfr (2013-08-08 01:03:15)

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#12 2013-08-08 01:18:21

Leonid.I

cfr wrote:

Tell it to imagine it's a laptop - laptop-mode-tools seems to be able to insist on its settings!

Please do not. L-m-T is just a convoluted mess and adding it to the mix will only complicate problem.

As it was said multiple times before, there are 2 scenarios: (1) These files in /proc/sys/vm/ are not available when systemd-sysctl starts; and (2) something overriding them. FWIW, in sysctl.conf I set 'vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs=1500' and 'vm.laptop_mode=5' which get correctly applied:

$ cat /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio 

Notice, dirty_ratio is set to '20' which is the default in -ARCH kernels, at least in 3.10.y. What kernel do you have? What services do you run?

Also, regarding the precedence of sysctl.conf, it is not documented. It is parsed after /usr/lib/sysctl.d/*, but not necessarily after /etc/sysctl.d/*.

pkill -9 systemd

#13 2013-08-08 01:56:23

cfr

Leonid.I wrote:
cfr wrote:

Please do not. L-m-T is just a convoluted mess and adding it to the mix will only complicate problem.

This was not intended as a serious suggestion and it was not one which I took it was in any danger of being taken as one!

#14 2013-08-08 11:23:11

falconindy
Developer
Website

Leonid.I wrote:

there are 2 scenarios: (1) These files in /proc/sys/vm/ are not available when systemd-sysctl starts; and (2) something overriding them.

Your first scenario simply is not plausible. The VM subsystem isn't provided by a module.

Leonid.I wrote:

Also, regarding the precedence of sysctl.conf, it is not documented. It is parsed after /usr/lib/sysctl.d/*, but not necessarily after /etc/sysctl.d/*.

Where did you get that idea from? sysctl.conf has the highest priority. It's parsed first, before any of the directories.

Last edited by falconindy (2013-08-08 12:36:45)

#15 2013-08-08 15:20:08

Leonid.I

falconindy wrote:
Leonid.I wrote:

Where did you get that idea from? sysctl.conf has the highest priority. It's parsed first, before any of the directories.

Sorry, that was inaccurate. I wanted to say that files in /usr/lib/sysctl.d/* have a lower priority compared to anything in /etc.

But still, 'man 5 sysctl.d' says nothing about relation between sysctl.conf and /etc/sysctl.d/*.conf. You know systemd source better than me, so I'll believe what you said about sysctl.conf's priority... A related question (while we are at it, not trying to steal the thread), wouldn't /etc/sysctl.conf shipped with procps-ng belong better to /usr/lib/sysctl.d/00-procps-sysctl.conf or similar?

pkill -9 systemd

#16 2013-08-08 15:47:02

falconindy
Developer
Website

Leonid.I wrote:

Wouldn't /etc/sysctl.conf shipped with procps-ng belong better to /usr/lib/sysctl.d/00-procps-sysctl.conf or similar?

I think I suggested this a while back. I guess nothing ever came of it. One might argue that it would be better given a high number so that user preferences override it more intuitively.

Last edited by falconindy (2013-08-08 15:50:00)

#17 2013-08-09 19:24:04

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Guess I'm stumped.  I just spun up an Arch VM, pasted in the /etc/sysctl.conf below and reboot it.  All the settings in the file in the VM are applied.  If Leonid's guess that something is overriding these values on my workstation, I would like to figure out what it is and shut it down.  To keep things simple, I booted into the stock ARCH kernel; here are the services I have active:

UNIT                                                LOAD   ACTIVE SUB       DESCRIPTION
proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.automount                   loaded active waiting   Arbitrary Executable File Formats File System Automo
sys-devices-pci0000:00-0000:00:19.0-net-eno1.device loaded active plugged   P8P67 Deluxe Motherboard
sys-devices-pci0...-0000:00:1b.0-sound-card0.device loaded active plugged   7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition 
sys-devices-pci0...6-0000:07:00.0-net-wlp7s0.device loaded active plugged   AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
sys-devices-pci0...:0-0:0:0:0-block-sda-sda1.device loaded active plugged   OCZ-VERTEX4
sys-devices-pci0...:0-0:0:0:0-block-sda-sda2.device loaded active plugged   OCZ-VERTEX4
sys-devices-pci0...:0-0:0:0:0-block-sda-sda3.device loaded active plugged   OCZ-VERTEX4
sys-devices-pci0...et0:0:0-0:0:0:0-block-sda.device loaded active plugged   OCZ-VERTEX4
sys-devices-pci0...:0-1:0:0:0-block-sdb-sdb1.device loaded active plugged   WDC_WD1001FALS-00J7B1
sys-devices-pci0...:0-1:0:0:0-block-sdb-sdb2.device loaded active plugged   WDC_WD1001FALS-00J7B1
sys-devices-pci0...:0-1:0:0:0-block-sdb-sdb3.device loaded active plugged   WDC_WD1001FALS-00J7B1
sys-devices-pci0...:0-1:0:0:0-block-sdb-sdb4.device loaded active plugged   WDC_WD1001FALS-00J7B1
sys-devices-pci0...:0-1:0:0:0-block-sdb-sdb5.device loaded active plugged   WDC_WD1001FALS-00J7B1
sys-devices-pci0...:0-1:0:0:0-block-sdb-sdb6.device loaded active plugged   WDC_WD1001FALS-00J7B1
sys-devices-pci0...:0-1:0:0:0-block-sdb-sdb7.device loaded active plugged   WDC_WD1001FALS-00J7B1
sys-devices-pci0...et1:0:0-1:0:0:0-block-sdb.device loaded active plugged   WDC_WD1001FALS-00J7B1
sys-devices-pci0...et3:0:0-3:0:0:0-block-sr0.device loaded active plugged   ATAPI_iHAS424_B
sys-devices-platform-serial8250-tty-ttyS0.device    loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS0
sys-devices-platform-serial8250-tty-ttyS1.device    loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS1
sys-devices-platform-serial8250-tty-ttyS2.device    loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS2
sys-devices-platform-serial8250-tty-ttyS3.device    loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/platform/serial8250/tty/ttyS3
sys-module-configfs.device                          loaded active plugged   /sys/module/configfs
sys-module-fuse.device                              loaded active plugged   /sys/module/fuse
sys-subsystem-net-devices-eno1.device               loaded active plugged   P8P67 Deluxe Motherboard
sys-subsystem-net-devices-wlp7s0.device             loaded active plugged   AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
-.mount                                             loaded active mounted   /
boot.mount                                          loaded active mounted   /boot
dev-hugepages.mount                                 loaded active mounted   Huge Pages File System
dev-mqueue.mount                                    loaded active mounted   POSIX Message Queue File System
home-facade-.cache.mount                           loaded active mounted   /home/facade/.cache
mnt-data.mount                                      loaded active mounted   /mnt/data
run-user-1000-gvfs.mount                            loaded active mounted   /run/user/1000/gvfs
scratch.mount                                       loaded active mounted   /scratch
sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount                       loaded active mounted   FUSE Control File System
sys-kernel-config.mount                             loaded active mounted   Configuration File System
sys-kernel-debug.mount                              loaded active mounted   Debug File System
tmp.mount                                           loaded active mounted   Temporary Directory
var-cache.mount                                     loaded active mounted   /var/cache
systemd-ask-password-console.path                   loaded active waiting   Dispatch Password Requests to Console Directory Watc
systemd-ask-password-wall.path                      loaded active waiting   Forward Password Requests to Wall Directory Watch
cronie.service                                      loaded active running   Periodic Command Scheduler
dbus.service                                        loaded active running   D-Bus System Message Bus
fancontrol.service                                  loaded active running   Fan control daemon
getty@tty1.service                                  loaded active running   Getty on tty1
gpm.service                                         loaded active running   Virtual console mouse server
lxdm.service                                        loaded active running   LXDE Display Manager
netctl@static.service                               loaded active exited    A basic static ethernet connection using iproute
ntpd.service                                        loaded active running   Network Time Service
polkit.service                                      loaded active running   Authorization Manager
psd.service                                         loaded active exited    Profile-sync-daemon
rtkit-daemon.service                                loaded active running   RealtimeKit Scheduling Policy Service
systemd-journald.service                            loaded active running   Journal Service
systemd-logind.service                              loaded active running   Login Service
systemd-modules-load.service                        loaded active exited    Load Kernel Modules
systemd-remount-fs.service                          loaded active exited    Remount Root and Kernel File Systems
systemd-sysctl.service                              loaded active exited    Apply Kernel Variables
systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service                      loaded active exited    Recreate Volatile Files and Directories
systemd-udev-trigger.service                        loaded active exited    udev Coldplug all Devices
systemd-udevd.service                               loaded active running   udev Kernel Device Manager
systemd-update-utmp.service                         loaded active exited    Update UTMP about System Reboot/Shutdown
systemd-user-sessions.service                       loaded active exited    Permit User Sessions
systemd-vconsole-setup.service                      loaded active exited    Setup Virtual Console
udisks2.service                                     loaded active running   Disk Manager
ufw.service                                         loaded active exited    CLI Netfilter Manager
upower.service                                      loaded active running   Daemon for power management
cups.socket                                         loaded active listening CUPS Printing Service Sockets
dbus.socket                                         loaded active running   D-Bus System Message Bus Socket
dmeventd.socket                                     loaded active listening Device-mapper event daemon FIFOs
sshd.socket                                         loaded active listening sshd.socket
systemd-initctl.socket                              loaded active listening /dev/initctl Compatibility Named Pipe
systemd-journald.socket                             loaded active running   Journal Socket
systemd-shutdownd.socket                            loaded active listening Delayed Shutdown Socket
systemd-udevd-control.socket                        loaded active listening udev Control Socket
systemd-update-utmp.service                         loaded active exited    Update UTMP about System Reboot/Shutdown
systemd-user-sessions.service                       loaded active exited    Permit User Sessions
systemd-vconsole-setup.service                      loaded active exited    Setup Virtual Console
udisks2.service                                     loaded active running   Disk Manager
ufw.service                                         loaded active exited    CLI Netfilter Manager
upower.service                                      loaded active running   Daemon for power management
cups.socket                                         loaded active listening CUPS Printing Service Sockets
dbus.socket                                         loaded active running   D-Bus System Message Bus Socket
dmeventd.socket                                     loaded active listening Device-mapper event daemon FIFOs
sshd.socket                                         loaded active listening sshd.socket
systemd-initctl.socket                              loaded active listening /dev/initctl Compatibility Named Pipe
systemd-journald.socket                             loaded active running   Journal Socket
systemd-shutdownd.socket                            loaded active listening Delayed Shutdown Socket
systemd-udevd-control.socket                        loaded active listening udev Control Socket
systemd-udevd-kernel.socket                         loaded active running   udev Kernel Socket
basic.target                                        loaded active active    Basic System
cryptsetup.target                                   loaded active active    Encrypted Volumes
getty.target                                        loaded active active    Login Prompts
graphical.target                                    loaded active active    Graphical Interface
local-fs-pre.target                                 loaded active active    Local File Systems (Pre)
local-fs.target                                     loaded active active    Local File Systems
multi-user.target                                   loaded active active    Multi-User System
network.target                                      loaded active active    Network
paths.target                                        loaded active active    Paths
remote-fs.target                                    loaded active active    Remote File Systems
sockets.target                                      loaded active active    Sockets
sound.target                                        loaded active active    Sound Card
swap.target                                         loaded active active    Swap
sysinit.target                                      loaded active active    System Initialization
timers.target                                       loaded active active    Timers
psd-resync.timer                                    loaded active waiting   Timer for Profile-sync-daemon - 1Hour
systemd-tmpfiles-clean.timer                        loaded active waiting   Daily Cleanup of Temporary Directories

And...

% systemctl list-unit-files
UNIT FILE                               STATE   
proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.automount       static  
dev-hugepages.mount                     static  
dev-mqueue.mount                        static  
proc-fs-nfsd.mount                      static  
proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.mount           static  
sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount           static  
sys-kernel-config.mount                 static  
sys-kernel-debug.mount                  static  
tmp.mount                               static  
var-lib-nfs-rpc_pipefs.mount            static  
cups.path                               disabled
systemd-ask-password-console.path       static  
systemd-ask-password-wall.path          static  
alsa-restore.service                    static  
alsa-state.service                      static  
alsa-store.service                      static  
arch32.service                          disabled
autovt@.service                         disabled
avahi-daemon.service                    disabled
avahi-dnsconfd.service                  disabled
binfmt-support.service                  disabled
blkmapd.service                         disabled
canberra-system-bootup.service          disabled
canberra-system-shutdown-reboot.service disabled
canberra-system-shutdown.service        disabled
colord.service                          static  
console-getty.service                   disabled
console-shell.service                   disabled
cronie.service                          enabled 
cups-browsed.service                    disabled
cups.service                            disabled
cupsd.service                           disabled
dbus-org.freedesktop.hostname1.service  static  
dbus-org.freedesktop.locale1.service    static  
dbus-org.freedesktop.login1.service     static  
dbus-org.freedesktop.timedate1.service  static  
dbus.service                            static  
debug-shell.service                     disabled
dhcpcd.service                          disabled
dhcpcd@.service                         disabled
display-manager.service                 enabled 
distccd.service                         disabled
dkms.service                            disabled
dmeventd.service                        static  
emergency.service                       static  
fancontrol.service                      enabled 
ftpd.service                            disabled
getty@.service                          enabled 
git-daemon@.service                     static  
gpm.service                             enabled 
hddtemp.service                         disabled
healthd.service                         disabled
initrd-cleanup.service                  static  
initrd-parse-etc.service                static  
initrd-switch-root.service              static  
initrd-udevadm-cleanup-db.service       static  
ip6tables.service                       disabled
iptables.service                        disabled
irexec.service                          disabled
krb5-kadmind.service                    disabled
krb5-kdc.service                        disabled
krb5-kpropd.service                     disabled
krb5-kpropd@.service                    static  
lirc.service                            disabled
lircm.service                           disabled
lm_sensors.service                      disabled
lxdm.service                            enabled 
mcelog.service                          disabled
mpd.service                             disabled
netctl-auto@.service                    disabled
netctl-ifplugd@.service                 disabled
netctl-sleep.service                    disabled
netctl.service                          disabled
netctl@.service                         static  
netctl@dhcp.service                     static  
netctl@static.service                   enabled 
nfsd.service                            disabled
nmbd.service                            disabled
nscd.service                            disabled
ntpd.service                            enabled 
ntpdate.service                         disabled
polkit.service                          static  
psd-resync.service                      enabled 
psd.service                             enabled 
quotaon.service                         static  
rescue.service                          static  
rpc-gssd.service                        disabled
rpc-idmapd.service                      disabled
rpc-mountd.service                      disabled
rpc-statd.service                       disabled
rpc-svcgssd.service                     disabled
rpcbind.service                         disabled
rsyncd.service                          disabled
rsyncd@.service                         static  
rtkit-daemon.service                    disabled
samba.service                           disabled
sensord.service                         disabled
serial-getty@.service                   static  
smartd.service                          disabled
smbd.service                            disabled
smbd@.service                           static  
snmpd.service                           disabled
snmptrapd.service                       disabled
speech-dispatcherd.service              disabled
sshd.service                            disabled
sshd@.service                           static  
sshdgenkeys.service                     static  
svnserve.service                        disabled
swat@.service                           static  
systemd-ask-password-console.service    static  
systemd-ask-password-wall.service       static  
systemd-binfmt.service                  static  
systemd-fsck-root.service               static  
systemd-fsck@.service                   static  
systemd-halt.service                    static  
systemd-hibernate.service               static  
systemd-hostnamed.service               static  
systemd-hybrid-sleep.service            static  
systemd-initctl.service                 static  
systemd-journal-flush.service           static  
systemd-journal-gatewayd.service        static  
systemd-journald.service                static  
systemd-kexec.service                   static  
systemd-localed.service                 static  
systemd-logind.service                  static  
systemd-modules-load.service            static  
systemd-nspawn@.service                 static  
systemd-poweroff.service                static  
systemd-quotacheck.service              static  
systemd-random-seed-load.service        static  
systemd-random-seed-save.service        static  
systemd-readahead-collect.service       disabled
systemd-readahead-done.service          static  
systemd-readahead-drop.service          disabled
systemd-readahead-replay.service        disabled
systemd-reboot.service                  static  
systemd-remount-fs.service              static  
systemd-shutdownd.service               static  
systemd-suspend.service                 static  
systemd-sysctl.service                  static  
systemd-timedated.service               static  
systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service          static  
systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service      static  
systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service          static  
systemd-udev-settle.service             static  
systemd-udev-trigger.service            static  
systemd-udevd.service                   static  
systemd-update-utmp-runlevel.service    static  
systemd-update-utmp.service             static  
systemd-user-sessions.service           static  
systemd-vconsole-setup.service          static  
udisks.service                          disabled
udisks2.service                         static  
ufw.service                             enabled 
upower.service                          disabled
usbmuxd.service                         static  
user@.service                           disabled
uuidd.service                           static  
vboxweb.service                         disabled
vncserver.service                       disabled
winbindd.service                        disabled
wpa_supplicant-nl80211@.service         disabled
wpa_supplicant-wired@.service           disabled
wpa_supplicant.service                  disabled
wpa_supplicant@.service                 disabled
avahi-daemon.socket                     disabled
cups.socket                             enabled 
dbus.socket                             static  
dmeventd.socket                         static  
git-daemon.socket                       disabled
krb5-kpropd.socket                      disabled
rsyncd.socket                           disabled
smbd.socket                             disabled
sshd.socket                             enabled 
swat.socket                             disabled
syslog.socket                           static  
systemd-initctl.socket                  static  
systemd-journal-gatewayd.socket         disabled
systemd-journald.socket                 static  
systemd-shutdownd.socket                static  
systemd-udevd-control.socket            static  
systemd-udevd-kernel.socket             static  
uuidd.socket                            disabled
basic.target                            static  
bluetooth.target                        static  
cryptsetup.target                       static  
ctrl-alt-del.target                     disabled
default.target                          disabled
emergency.target                        static  
final.target                            static  
getty.target                            static  
graphical.target                        disabled
halt.target                             disabled
hibernate.target                        static  
hybrid-sleep.target                     static  
initrd-fs.target                        static  
initrd-root-fs.target                   static  
initrd-switch-root.target               static  
initrd.target                           static  
kexec.target                            disabled
local-fs-pre.target                     static  
local-fs.target                         static  
multi-user.target                       disabled
network-online.target                   static  
network.target                          static  
nss-lookup.target                       static  
nss-user-lookup.target                  static  
paths.target                            static  
poweroff.target                         disabled
printer.target                          static  
reboot.target                           disabled
remote-fs-pre.target                    static  
remote-fs.target                        enabled 
rescue.target                           disabled
rpcbind.target                          static  
shutdown.target                         static  
sigpwr.target                           static  
sleep.target                            static  
smartcard.target                        static  
sockets.target                          static  
sound.target                            static  
suspend.target                          static  
swap.target                             static  
sysinit.target                          static  
system-update.target                    static  
time-sync.target                        static  
timers.target                           static  
umount.target                           static  
psd-resync.timer                        static  
systemd-readahead-done.timer            static  
systemd-tmpfiles-clean.timer            static  

231 unit files listed.

Last edited by graysky (2014-11-03 08:39:54)

#18 2013-08-09 19:49:49

falconindy
Developer
Website

Have anything in tmpfiles.d perhaps? There isn't really any good way to trace changes to sysctl settings.

#19 2013-08-09 20:01:58

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

@falconindy - I do but not sure how they could be relevant:

# cat /etc/tmpfiles.d/*
w /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler - - - - deadline
d /run/mpd 0755 graysky users
r /var/tmp/* - - - 5d -
d /tmp/.thumbnails 0700 graysky users -
d /tmp/.distccd 0755 graysky users -
d /tmp/.distccd-chroot 0755 graysky users -
d /tmp/backintime 0755 graysky users -
d /scratch/.abs 0755 root root -
d /scratch/.archbuild 755 root root -

Last edited by graysky (2013-08-09 20:02:36)

#20 2013-08-09 20:31:28

falconindy
Developer
Website

Its another process that could write to /proc ...

#21 2013-08-09 20:55:56

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

falconindy wrote:

Its another process that could write to /proc ...

Right...do you see anything in my stuff that could account for the behavior?

Last edited by graysky (2013-08-09 21:23:56)

#22 2013-08-09 21:33:10

falconindy
Developer
Website

Maybe? You're in the best place to bisect/dissect this.

#23 2013-08-09 21:49:45

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Well, the simple test is to just move /etc/tmpfiles.d to /etc/foo which I did.  Following a reboot, nothing changed.

#24 2013-08-09 22:21:02

Leonid.I

graysky wrote:

Well, the simple test is to just move /etc/tmpfiles.d to /etc/foo which I did.  Following a reboot, nothing changed.

Good, so it's not your tmpfiles that causes the problem.

Try rebooting (add systemd.unit=rescue.target to your bootloader) into rescue.target and see if the /proc/sys/vm/* settings are correct...

Last edited by Leonid.I (2013-08-09 22:21:57)

pkill -9 systemd

#25 2013-08-10 00:00:35

chp

Do you have pm-utils installed?  It has a laptop-mode script that sets vm.dirty_ratio.  You can disable it by adding an empty file laptop-mode in /etc/pm/power.d/

Board footer