You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-09 13:42:51

mrunion
Website

General Eclipse Question (Not a NetBeans vs Eclipse Thread!)

I am going to play around with Vaadin, and I am going to use Eclipse and the Vaadin plugin for this play.

In reading the Book of Vaadin, the author actually recommend downloading Eclipse, unZIPping it, and running it from that unZIPped archive instead of "installing" it. The author mentions more control and less aggravation in the long run.

Now, I don't use Eclipse much at all (I use NetBeans usually). What I have done in the past with BOTH NetBeans and Eclipse is:

1) Install from repo, run as my account for work, run as root to do updates and install plugins.
2) Install from repo, run as my account for work AND plugin installs/updates.

I prefer #2 as it's less of an issue to just "blow away" all the plugins and start again if I need to.

My bottom-line question is: "Does running Eclipse from my 'local' /home/xxx without actually 'installing' it really make that much difference compared to #2 above?"

I'm hoping someone that has more experience with this can render an opinion. Also, if any of you have experience with Vaadin, do you have any tips for a noob?!?

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#2 2013-08-10 00:45:46

crondog

Re: General Eclipse Question (Not a NetBeans vs Eclipse Thread!)

The part in the Book of Vaadin about unzipping sounds like total BS to me. I have always used what you call method #2 and have never run into any problems. If you run eclipse as a normal user it will just install the plugins to your home folder anyway...

#3 2013-08-10 02:07:43

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I unzip my own Eclipse just because I don't really want to have to deal with new eclipse versions coming out when I'm in the middle of a project. Otherwise not much difference.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2013-08-10 16:40:07

toddaa

One consideration with running Eclipse from a local unzipped install is being able to create multiple instances, with a different mix plugins. I keep three core versions going for Java, Python, and Android development. I've found some plugins do not always play well with others in Eclipse. At least that was my experience with Ganymede and Helios. My Java instance is loaded up with a bunch of enterprise junk, like JBoss Drools and Spring plugins, so it can sometimes get bogged down at start up when connecting to remote resources over VPN.

I've found that limiting the number of plugins I keep in any instance I use is helpful in keeping it stable. Note that you'll also need separate workspaces for each instance. Also, to keep your sanity, tarball a backup before installing or updating any plugins. Probably not for everyone, but it works for me.

#5 2013-08-10 18:51:08

mrunion
Website

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will plan accordingly, and keep this information in mind while doing so.

Now if I can just get that blamed Tomcat7 service to start! Arrggghhh!

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

Board footer