You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-11 21:46:21

cb474

system hangs mounting encrypted lvm, doesn't wait for password

I have a system with two hard drives, each that has a separate encrypted lvm. The drive with my / parition mounts fine, using the grub command line cryptdevice paramater.

But the second encrypted partition on the second hard drive, defined in crypttab, causes the system to hang during boot. I get a message: "a start job is running for cryptography setup" and a little moving asterick while the system waits. At the same time there is a second similar message with moving asterick: "a start job is running for" and the name of the lvm device to be started. And if I define all the volumes on the lvm to be mounted in fstab, I get yet more "a start job is running" messages and hangs for them, all simultaneously.

It seems like the system is not stopping and waiting for the password, before trying to start the lvm and then hanging. I've found that I actually can type in the password while the system is stuck like this (though the screen doesn't really register that I'm typing a password) and then the system will continue and start the lvm and mount volumes properly as defined in fstab.

I don't really know much about how all this stuff works, but gather from reading around that perhaps systemd is not waiting for the password, before tying to automatically start the lvm? And tha'ts causing the hang. (I have LMDE installed with a separate /boot parition on the same number 1 drive and it boots as expected, I'm assuming this is because it's not using systemd.)

The only post that I could find that remotely seemed similar to my problem is this: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=153811

But I don't really follow what's being said in that thread or the solution, regard the .service file. Where is is? What would I edit in it? Is that what I want to do?

Thanks to anyone for any help on this.

Board footer