You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-26 22:13:41

oggb4mp3

Since udev replaced hotplug, camera dev perms not set

Ever since udev replaced hotplug, my camera device permissions are not being set properly.  the /etc/udev/gphoto.rules file has an entry for my camera, but when /lib/udev/libgphoto2.sh is run by the rule, nothing happens.  Well, I am not sure the script is being run by the rule, but a device is being created when the camera is plugged in, so I would assume udev is picking it up.  the script is set +x in case anybody is thinking about that.

I can use the camera as root and if I manually change the group ownership on the device to the camera group, everything works as expected.  I'm thinking it is somehow a bug in the /lib/udev/libgphoto2.sh script, but I don't know enough about it to be able to tell, and I wanted to see if anybody else had a similar problem before I post a bug.

Anybody with any thoughts on the matter?

#2 2005-12-26 22:21:31

oggb4mp3

Re: Since udev replaced hotplug, camera dev perms not set

After some poking around, it seems the group ownership of all devices devices in /proc/bus/usb are being changed by the libgphoto2.sh script, but I think the relevant place where the permissions should be changed are in /dev.  Also, it is changing the group ownership to all usb devices in /proc/bus/usb to root:camera, not just the camera device.

#3 2005-12-26 23:23:00

tomk
Forum Fellow

That change was made after I posted this bug, and it's working fine for me. I just needed to add myself to the camera group.

However, I can see what you're talking about - I haven't plugged in the camera for a few days now, but everything in /proc/bus/usb/001 is root:camera. I'd say either reopen that bug, or post a new one with a reference to the first one.

#4 2005-12-29 03:00:16

oggb4mp3

tpowa posted a package update to fix this, so all is well now.

#5 2005-12-29 12:40:29

tomk
Forum Fellow

Is all well for you? I've installed the updated libgphoto2, and everything is still root:camera in /proc/bus/usb/001. I'll get on that mailing-list thread of yours, I think.

Board footer