You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-13 02:31:51

lspci

[Solved] no syntax highlighting in Vim 7.4

In the latest version of Vim available in the core repos, the syntax highlighting stuff doesn't work and when I try to enable it manually here's the error message that I get:

Error detected while processing /usr/share/vim/vim74/syntax/syntax.vim:
line 42:
E216: No such group or event: filetypedetect BufRead

I've tried downgrading back to version 7.3, and while that worked, many of the plugins that I use require version 7.4.  I've searched google, but I didn't find anything at all on this, seemingly, very new problem.  I also searched StackOverflow and Unix & Linux (another StackExchange site) without getting any applicable hits for the terms `vim 7.4'

Is anyone else having this problem; does anyone have any ideas on how it can be resolved?

EDIT: For the time being, so that I can at least use instances of `vim' that I started before updating to version 7.4, I've added a symlink to the vim pkgbuild that'll let vim 7.3 access the syntax files for 7.4, which I assume--since they don't work in 7.4--are still compatible with version 7.3.

Last edited by lspci (2013-08-13 02:40:41)

Please don't be a help vampire. | Bitbucket

Give a little more for a little less today.  smile

#2 2013-08-13 02:38:23

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [Solved] no syntax highlighting in Vim 7.4

Not much help, but I just did the 7.4 update, and have no issues with colors.  Line 42 of that file does match here, so the definition of one of thos must be missing (or overriden) somewhere else.

Have you tried moving/renaming your .vimrc and/or your ~/.vim/?

"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

#3 2013-08-13 02:40:12

lspci

Re: [Solved] no syntax highlighting in Vim 7.4

Trilby wrote:

Not much help, but I just did the 7.4 update, and have no issues with colors.  Line 42 of that file does match here, so the definition of one of thos must be missing (or overriden) somewhere else.

Have you tried moving/renaming your .vimrc and/or your ~/.vim/?

Renaming my .vimrc file to vimrc fixed the issue, so something in my .vimrc file is breaking the syntax highlighting stuffs.

Thanks.

The problem was the following line from my .vimrc file:

set runtimepath=~/.vim/doload/*,/usr/share/vim/vimfiles/,/usr/share/vim/vim73,/usr/share/vim/vimfiles/after

Changing the vim73 to vim74, fixed the problem.

Last edited by lspci (2013-08-13 02:46:05)

Please don't be a help vampire. | Bitbucket

Give a little more for a little less today.  smile

Board footer