You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-27 14:11:11

lumiwa

new install

Hi!

I decided that i tried to install Arch again today. Now i have a problem with KDE.
Please help me how can i choose a Reiser file system. I didn't found an option (i have cd with Noodle but i did ftp install).
When I installe KDE i use pacman -Sy kde. Is this enough? How can i choose a kernel o where with ATI support?
I apologize because I didn;t read enough yet but i like to know how can I choose files, programs whic I want to install?

Thanks in advance...

#2 2005-12-27 14:17:40

Pablo_Escobar
Website

Re: new install

1. I had Reiser enabled but with a CD install, no idea how is it with FTP install
2. Arch Wiki is the good place to go -> After the KDE install (pacman -Sy kde is a good start) You'll probably need kdm, and to setup an automatic X startup. I browsed the wiki or a Gnome setup and it wonders for me
3. To install a kernel with ati support You need to enable the community repo (uncomment it) in /etc/pacman.conf and pacman -Sy ati-drivers
It'll get the kernel as a dependency. You'll need to edit the grub menu to get it as an option at boot. It's a simple task. If I could do it then You can also smile

Arch - Home sweet home smile

#3 2005-12-27 14:28:35

lumiwa

Pablo_Escobar wrote:

1. I had Reiser enabled but with a CD install, no idea how is it with FTP install
2. Arch Wiki is the good place to go -> After the KDE install (pacman -Sy kde is a good start) You'll probably need kdm, and to setup an automatic X startup. I browsed the wiki or a Gnome setup and it wonders for me
3. To install a kernel with ati support You need to enable the community repo (uncomment it) in /etc/pacman.conf and pacman -Sy ati-drivers
It'll get the kernel as a dependency. You'll need to edit the grub menu to get it as an option at boot. It's a simple task. If I could do it then You can also smile

Thank. I will try. Can you write me, please what is name of Reiser file system in the menu?
I did run xorgconfig and I did use hwd -x too but I had problem with both. KDE doesn;t work ''normal''.
I had on Debin also KDE 3.5 and works without problem and I tried to configure xorg.conf like a Debian's but doesn't help.

#4 2005-12-27 14:44:14

Pablo_Escobar
Website

My guess is that first make an install, secondly - configure well Your system, then try to pacman KDE and set it up.

My first try with Arch was a disgrace. I installed it, and the first thing I did was to get as soon as I can to Gnome. Gnome installed, but most of apps didn't work or borked with strange errors.
It almost discouraged me from using Arch, but I had a moment of brillance (not many of them tongue ) and tried calmly, and step by step to install arch.
Now my setup works perfectly smile I had Gnome installed after I've made all the needed adjustments to the system smile

Arch - Home sweet home smile

#5 2005-12-27 15:01:31

lumiwa

Pablo_Escobar wrote:

My guess is that first make an install, secondly - configure well Your system, then try to pacman KDE and set it up.

My first try with Arch was a disgrace. I installed it, and the first thing I did was to get as soon as I can to Gnome. Gnome installed, but most of apps didn't work or borked with strange errors.
It almost discouraged me from using Arch, but I had a moment of brillance (not many of them tongue ) and tried calmly, and step by step to install arch.
Now my setup works perfectly smile I had Gnome installed after I've made all the needed adjustments to the system smile

Okay. I will try again smile. But anywhere is strange how KDE running with many errors. The base system works great. Xserver looks run okay too but KDE, uh. One more chance smile at the evening...

Board footer