You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-14 18:51:53

rainbowgoblin

No USB keyboard when booting from install disk

I've got a new system with a Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI board. I can get into the BIOS and use the keyboard to move around and toggle various options, but when I boot from the Arch install DVD (downloaded 2 days ago), there's no keyboard. The keyboard works in the boot menu, it just disappears after. I've tried booting in both UEFI and legacy mode, but no luck either way: different boot menus, same problem once the disk boots.

EDIT: This may be interesting. I went into hardware info from the install disk boot menu, and under PCI Devices, I can see three USB controllers.  The "product" line reads:

8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family EHCI

Vendor is Intel Corporation. Module is unknown.  Maybe this is the issue?

PCI and PCI express controllers also list module as unknown, but I have no expansion cards whatsoever and all the other devices seem to have kernel modules associated.

Last edited by rainbowgoblin (2013-08-14 19:39:16)

#2 2013-08-14 20:48:13

rainbowgoblin

Re: No USB keyboard when booting from install disk

This seems to be an issue with the 3.10 kernel, e.g. https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/35991

I have a unifying receiver. Also, I tried booting the Gentoo minimal install disk (from USB) and had no problem.

So how do I get an install disk with a different kernel? Newer or older, doesn't much matter, I'll be compiling my own kernel once I'm up and running anyway.

Otherwise, back to Gentoo? Or just a different keyboard until I can get a kernel compiled? This is a pretty common set of keyboards (and mice)... Why hasn't this been fixed?

Board footer