You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-15 13:49:52

myrlin

[SOLVED] BTRFS Conversion

I have an EeePC 901, which I thought I'd convert to BTRFS as a way of getting to understand the new filing system.
My machine has 3 partitions, 100MB for /boot, 4GB for /, and 15GB for /home.
I have successfully converted the 2 larger partitions with btrfs-convert, but when I try to convert the /boot partition I get the error message "block size too small".
Is there any way to convert this without doing a complete re-format/re-install?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by myrlin (2013-08-26 17:20:16)

#2 2013-08-15 15:41:24

Jristz

Re: [SOLVED] BTRFS Conversion

That, btrfs can't convert a so small partition
so you need to grow'd 'em
so I not recommend transform boot
thee can't get veneficies reals from that

Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

#3 2013-08-15 17:05:06

WonderWoofy

To really get proper use out of btrfs, you should use a single filesystem and have your rootfs and /home as their own subvolumes.  This is how btrfs is meant to be used.

But as you are taking the conversion route, unless you want to snapshot your /boot or something, you might just want to keep that as a normal traditional filesystem.  Btrfs is pretty well supported by bootloaders these days, but the ext* filesystems are well tested and known to work extremely well.  Typically the reason you hav a separate /boot in the first place is simply to ensure that your kernel and initramfs can be found by the bootloader.  So if you are using a bios based bootloader from the offiical repos, both of those should support btrfs, so you could probably safely even just bot the contents back onto /.

#4 2013-08-26 17:19:13

myrlin

Many thanks for your advice, and my apologies for the delay in responding.

As I'm just experimenting for now, I'll leave the /boot partition alone, then impliment a single filesystem next time I do a re-install. Your detailed explanation was great. WonderWoofy - much appreciated.

Board footer