You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-27 22:50:04

AndyRTR
Developer

Better multiarch pkgbuilds or each port their own one?

I´ve found this in frugalbuilds:

depends=('esd' 'lame' 'libtheora' 'libdv' 'cdparanoia' 'termcap' 'libmad'
    'libungif' 'xvidcore' 'aalib' 'lzo' 'sdl' 'ffmpeg' 'libjpeg')
[ "$CARCH" == "i686" ] && depends=(${depends[@]} 'codecs')

and

[ "$CARCH" != "x86_64" ] && Fpatch $pkgname-1.0pre7-gcc4.patch
[ "$CARCH" == "x86_64" ] && Fpatch $pkgname-1.0pre7-gcc4-amd64.patch

So is pacman ready to manage different ports this way. What do you think, is it better to have common pkgbuilds like gentoo, frugalware and all the rpm based distributions? Or better using each port their own one?

#2 2005-12-28 00:13:14

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Better multiarch pkgbuilds or each port their own one?

for the sake of simplicity, I think it is better to have seperate SCM branches for each architecture.

Better, when the branches are small.. If/when other architectures get "folded into" the main arch development team, I think it would be easier to have architecture specific sections.. although this complicates the pkgbuilds..

I guess I see no easy and/or elegant solutions to this balancing act right now..though..I haven't thought overly much about it. Most of the "top layer" ideas I have in my head just during reading this.. are either messy, or lead to needless duplication.
sad

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer