You are not logged in.

#3351 2013-08-12 06:48:11

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

sonander wrote:

So, when you find my lameness in my first posts throughout the forum... go easy on me!

No can't do. We eat newbies for breakfast wink

PS: If you know you have been thorough with your research, no need to fear posting a question.

#3352 2013-08-12 14:23:13

d3str0y

Hello everyone.

I installed Arch a month ago, and finally I'm here in the forums. I've been using linux distros for about one year now
hoping to learn much from everyone in the Arch community

#3353 2013-08-13 05:31:11

wchouser3
Website

Greetings everyone,

My name is William Houser (Bill) I am from Fort Wayne, Indiana. I have been an Arch user for a grand total of about 27 hours now. I've made the switch from Manjaro. Though I was happy with that distro, I found myself treating it as though it were Arch. I was therefore compelled to make the switch permanently. I've been distro hopping for some time, feeling as though I quickly adapt to the learning curve, therefore outgrowing the distro, I soon found a home with Arch. I'm exited to be a part of the community.

If you can't be helpful, don't say anything at all. Fair enough?

#3354 2013-08-13 12:07:35

nomorewindows

wchouser3 wrote:

I have been an Arch user for a grand total of about 27 hours now.

Oh man, he's catching up quick.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#3355 2013-08-13 13:21:44

drcouzelis
Website

nomorewindows wrote:
wchouser3 wrote:

I have been an Arch user for a grand total of about 27 hours now.

Oh man, he's catching up quick.

Hey, every sick life-sucking addiction starts somewhere.

Arch has got you now! BWAHAHAHA Welcome to Arch Linux!

#3356 2013-08-13 19:30:15

mwoodruff

I was a happy Fedora user for about 3 years, since Fedora 13 -- I wasn't much a fan of their defaults, but it never took long to get what I needed from the repos.  I was aware of Arch long before it occurred to me to switch, because half the time when I had trouble getting something to work, I found an answer on the Arch wiki.  Finally Fedora 18 did me in.  Upgrading Fedora 17 failed, and the Fedora 18 installer basically assumed I was too clueless to make my own decisions about anything.  Consequently, I've been running Arch for about a month -- the learning curve was steep, but not as steep as I expected due to the excellent documentation.

I can't say enough good things about the wiki.  It's up to date, correct, and helpful.  In many cases the wiki explains a package better than its official documentation. 

I've registered for this forum because I have a problem to ask about, but I thought I'd stop here first and say hello.  It's an interesting problem, though, so stay tuned for my second post smile

#3357 2013-08-14 11:04:04

windows_me
Website

Apologies in advance, but I somehow won't quite be able to keep myself from ranting a little here - I've just moved from Ubuntu, which I found to have worse stability, consistency and efficiency than Vista.  It was great to introduce me to Linux, but it outlived its welcome.  I've been using Arch for about 4 days now (after a disaster in Ubuntu which boxed my graphics drivers, originating from trying to upgrade R from v2 to v3...).  The installer was a fairly unique experience that took me a few minutes to develop an appreciation for.

I have to say - WOW!  I have always loved *n?x consoles (I was introduced to Unix at age 10...) but now in Arch, the  GUI and system management no longer feel like a cheap piece bug-ridden crap!  The system actually does at its told now, and I can fix things easily when it doesn't!

The lack of versioned releases seems nice too - almost every time I've dist-upgraded a Fedora or Ubuntu OS (often because one piece of software needs a newer version of one tiny package yikes ), it has become unbootable or at least severely crippled afterwards.  Let's not forget the Ubuntu update that removed OpenOffice and borked people's bluetooth either...

I can now install obscure packages easily via AUR instead of having to manually wade through git all the time, Microsoft Office 2000 works under Wine (which it never did on Ubuntu), StarCraft runs at a solid 60fps no matter how cluttered the screen is, I can run R v3 without having to use a new kernel that borks AMD Catalyst to pieces (on my old HD4800-series gpu).  All I need now is some equivalent of Visual Studio for C/C++/Mono development, and I can ditch Windows all together!  I used Eclipse for Java/Android on Windows, so I'm already deep into that hole.

What IDE would you others recommend for C/C++/embedded C/mono development?  I know there's the whole GCC/GDB/<editor here> thing, but I don't want my mouse to feel neglected sad  Which guide would you recommend for learning the standards and etiquette for contributing to the AUR?  I have a load of scripts relating to DNS/DHCP wizardry that others would probably find useful!

[10:04:21] Time for weekly full server backup.
[10:04:25] Redirecting it to "/dev/null" to make it go faster.
[10:04:53] Backup done! Amazing how fast modern technology is!

#3358 2013-08-14 12:24:38

drcouzelis
Website

It's OK. If it's a friendly rant then it's no problem. If it's an anti-Arch Linux rant then GET A BLOG! big_smile

See the list of IDEs on the Arch Linux wiki for programming environments: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li … vironments

See the Arch Linux wiki for questions about the AUR as well.

#3359 2013-08-14 13:03:02

windows_me
Website

drcouzelis wrote:

It's OK. If it's a friendly rant then it's no problem. If it's an anti-Arch Linux rant then GET A BLOG! big_smile
See the list of IDEs on the Arch Linux wiki for programming environments: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li … vironments
See the Arch Linux wiki for questions about the AUR as well.

Oh no, please don't give me a greencard for online ranting big_smile  Thanks for the links, I'm already taking a liking to the Arch community!

A while back, I ran a little experiment on the Ubuntu forums to prove a point to a friend (he loves linux a bit *too* much):

• I asked one well-formed technical question about something uncommon (multi-head set-up in this case)

• And another "question" which was basically a rant about Xorg.conf being a bag of snakes.

Exactly as I'd predicted:

• The technical question was responded to with flame and insults ("why would you ever do it that way", "just get 2 PCs", "you should be doing <something irrelevant> instead of that"), then promptly closed

• The rant disguised as a "question" got supportive "answers" which were just as ranty and meaningless, and was still alive last time I checked.

Not sure if its related to the experiment, but my friend now uses Fedora.  The primary mode on the Arch forums seems to be "technical", "unusual" and "I'd never heard of anyone doing it that way, this is interesting..." - I think I'm going to like it here!

Last edited by windows_me (2013-08-14 13:04:11)

#3360 2013-08-14 13:33:18

drcouzelis
Website

Dude, we even have OFFICIAL ranting threads:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=65318
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=85474
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=153361

Also, I suppose I should also mention that there is a rule against saying mean things about other operating systems: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ng_Systems

I don't think you've said anything wrong, I'm just mentioning it before we get too carried away when talking about how much better Arch Linux is than everything else. big_smile

#3361 2013-08-14 14:03:59

windows_me
Website

drcouzelis wrote:

Dude, we even have OFFICIAL ranting threads:

Haha I actually laughed out loud upon seeing that.  My main gripes with Ubuntu are the community and the apparent lack of testing for major upgrades, rather than the OS itself!  I will definitely have to bookmark the official rant threads though!

drcouzelis wrote:

before we get too carried away when talking about how much better Arch Linux is than everything else

Have you seen my forum name? tongue

Last edited by windows_me (2013-08-14 14:05:25)

#3362 2013-08-14 17:24:38

nomorewindows

windows_me wrote:

Have you seen my forum name? tongue

I never actually used windows me, but I heard I wasn't missing out on anything.  There was someone on here who was using that idea to say that holding up a copy of Windows ME scared the life out of the computers into submission.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#3363 2013-08-14 20:22:37

windows_me
Website

nomorewindows wrote:

I never actually used windows me, but I heard I wasn't missing out on anything.

Imagine a non-NT complement to Vista, complete with the bugs, viruses and general lack of purpose.  That's pretty much Windows ME.  Oh noez, I've broken the rule about insulting other OSes!

Last edited by windows_me (2013-08-14 20:23:00)

#3364 2013-08-14 21:01:09

ewaller
Administrator

Moderator comment:  Come on guys, you are dangerously close to crossing the line.  Remember our policy.

Thanks.

Edit:  Posted before I finished reading up to that ^^^ last post.

Last edited by ewaller (2013-08-14 21:02:17)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3365 2013-08-16 06:19:48

sarchlinux

Hello Arch Linux, hello all...

I'm new, noob, and newbie... just install arch linux.. still fresh..
hope can learn something from this community and from you guys...
Thanks... smile

#3366 2013-08-16 11:47:10

gowikel

Hello good. I've been in the world of GNU / Linux a few years, but some time ago I decided that it was time to get to learn to use well the OS and learn to develop and maintain Applications. One of the things I've been doing is going testing several Linux distributions to see which I feel more comfortable. I've been at this for a few weeks, and I really liked his principles, and the simplicity with which they do some things, but its strongest point is the arch wiki (in my opinion).

At the moment I have no intention to continue testing more distros (I test sabayon, ubuntu and its derivative kubuntu, fedora, opensuse, debian, mageia), making it possible for me to stick around and help contribute.

Sorry my English level at this time is not very good, but I hope to improving it over time.

I hope we can meet and be able to help in the community.

#3367 2013-08-16 14:50:35

Kirinthos

Hello Arch,

My name is Jay, been a linux user for quite some time but took a hiatus as I spent more time on development than I could use to fine-tailor my operating system. The main distros I used to run were ubuntu, gentoo, mint, and slackware a while ago. Naturally when I found Arch, I immediately knew where my home would be.

Since discovering arch a few weeks ago (I have no idea how it took me so long to get on it) I've got arch running on every tower I own, successfully migrated an MBR Win8/Mint partition over to arch/Win8 with a GPT partitioning system, switched over to UEFI boot and managed to recover win8 without loss.  Since then I've been utilizing the abs/aur to its fullest and have even created some (albeit somewhat useless/redundant) packages for my own personal use -- including installing the just released 3.10.7 kernel which I have running wonderfully.

I love the style, philosophy and simplistic nature of arch, it completes me in a way.

side note, I may once I get my website back up write a tutorial on converting MBR to GPT, without data loss, installing arch alongside existing windows, and recovering windows boot and translating it into EFI bootloaders instead of the removed MBR format.

I look forward to joining the community!

To begin to know, we must first admit that we do not.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci

#3368 2013-08-16 14:58:21

nomorewindows

Kirinthos wrote:

Hello Arch,
Naturally when I found Arch, I immediately knew where my home would be.

or /home would be.

Look ma, no mouse.

#3369 2013-08-16 16:39:25

LucetLux

Harro Everynyan!

My name is Agustin, I'm from Uruguay and I'm trying to move to arch from Fedora right now.
I've been using linux for a year or so after a whole life of using Windows as my main OS, now I don't even use my Windows 8 disk and I'm currently planning on nuking it soon.
I've had expreriences with linux previously but I had never used it as my main OS as I'm doing now.
I started using Ubuntu as a secondary OS a long time ago, back then when it wasn't as awful and handholding as it is now, like a year ago I moved to Fedora and I have been using it as my main OS since then, but after I had some problems with video drivers and an almost complete lack of support I decided it was time to move on to another distro.
A rolling release model is something that I've found interesting since some time ago, so arch seemed like the perfect step forward.
So here I am, having some problems with my DSL connection that I hope I can solve soon so I can start customizing my arch installation ;D

#3370 2013-08-17 12:09:05

windows_me
Website

LucetLux wrote:

Harro Everynyan!

My name is Agustin, I'm from Uruguay and I'm trying to move to arch from Fedora right now.
I've been using linux for a year or so after a whole life of using Windows as my main OS, now I don't even use my Windows 8 disk and I'm currently planning on nuking it soon.
I've had expreriences with linux previously but I had never used it as my main OS as I'm doing now.
I started using Ubuntu as a secondary OS a long time ago, back then when it wasn't as awful and handholding as it is now, like a year ago I moved to Fedora and I have been using it as my main OS since then, but after I had some problems with video drivers and an almost complete lack of support I decided it was time to move on to another distro.
A rolling release model is something that I've found interesting since some time ago, so arch seemed like the perfect step forward.
So here I am, having some problems with my DSL connection that I hope I can solve soon so I can start customizing my arch installation ;D

Hi!  Sorry to hear about the DSL issues, I can't help much there.  If you want any help getting an old Radeon working on Arch with proprietary drivers, drop me a message - I turned to Arch recently and use a HD4870 with no problems.

#3371 2013-08-17 18:39:10

XoseM
Website

Hello (arch)world!

I'm from Galicia and Arch user thanks to Antergos flavour

I already have learnt a lot from you and I hope can make some contribution in the future.

#3372 2013-08-17 18:50:38

ArchieGolightly

Hey guys, I'm completely new to the Linux flavour of Unix, I've used Windows since I was 13 then OS X for the last 2 years.

The first Linux I tried was Ubuntu a year ago and I found it rather uninspiring, a kind of awkward OS X perhaps? Then I tried Mint but I felt the same except that it felt more like Windows... So I started looking at basic Linux distros and Arch caught my eye for some reason. Certainly the installation process was one of the most exciting things (computerwise) I've done in a long time. I suppose the reason I'm moving toward a Linux OS is because they're easier to "harden", something that particularly appeals to me given the recent Snowden revelations and increasing attacks on our private communications.

There's also, I suppose, something thrilling about coming across a problem and troubleshooting your way to fixing it using the internet and common sense.

Arch is so fun I'm actually going to transfer it from  VM and put it on a laptop full-time; does anyone have any suggestions for a good laptop to install Arch on? I'm not going to be playing games on it or doing anything particularly CPU intensive on it... Mainly I'll be using it for secure browsing and communication using Tor and PGP.

I'm looking to spend less than ₤350. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks, and I look forward to lurking and, if I have anything salient to say, contributing to this neat little community.

#3373 2013-08-17 20:50:51

ttz

Hi all, Canadian user here.

tl;dr: Ubuntu - 3 days. Manjaro, 3 months. Arch... 3 weeks and loving it.

I still use Windows for gaming, but Arch is my daily driver and I use it for work, school, leisure, etc.

I was drawn to Arch because I am a mathematician and a minimalist, and I appreciate clean, elegant design. Arch was a natural fit... I don't have the time to fiddle with LFS or Gentoo's compiling.

I'll probably just keep lurking as I usually do, but thought I would at least raise my post count, tongue.

Character shines in the great moments, but is polished in the little ones.

#3374 2013-08-18 14:25:43

drekalots

Another Arch newb here. I've been using Linux off and on for about 14yrs now. I first got started with Mandrake Linux in about 1999. I've been an avid Gentoo user for the past 5 yrs but got tired of the constant rebuilding and hours it would take to get anything done. With that said, yesterday I fdisk'd my drive and threw in the Arch livecd. Less than an hour later and I was up and running. Much happier now.

Anyway, I've already been in the IRC channel and the people are nice and helpful. Couldn't be happier!

#3375 2013-08-18 15:45:35

Dashius

Hi, I'm Dashius; a computer engineering student from a small town in far away land.

I've been using linux for about 10 years now, starting with slax on an old machine, then knoppix and fedora for a while and ubuntu for much longer because of the package manager. I was thinking of using gentoo or LFS to build an OS I actually liked more due to certain issues I found I disliked with more mainstream distros. A friend told me about arch at some point during that process and I've been using it for about 5 or 6 months now, and it is just what I wanted. smile

Last edited by Dashius (2013-08-18 15:45:50)

Board footer