You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-12 14:26:32

Multimoon

Asus Vivobook & Screen Brightness

Hey guys. I recently got a new Asus Vivobook(Touchscreen Netbook) Works great, excluding one small thing. All my media keys work fine, save for screen brightness, they do not work under gnome or KDE. Stranger still, is that it wont change screen brightness. In KDEs settings, changing the brightness has no effect. I think it may have something to do with the EFI system, as originally its screen was abit brighter, but when I booted the ArchISO a few times doing my normal install, one time it just loaded with a darker screen, and I havent been able to get it to go back yet.

-EDIT-

Following a hunch, I booted it into a live image of Elementary OS Luna (I was testing it earlier since it was released). Its screen brightness worked fine, along with the brightness Media keys. I set the brightness to max, then rebooted back into Arch, brightness stayed persistant over to Arch. Seems like its a missing module, but which?

Last edited by Multimoon (2013-08-12 14:36:44)

It always makes me laugh when people complain and rage over any distro's management ideal, when this is a linux community, and you could always make your own distro and experience the pains yourself.

#2 2013-08-18 13:47:46

loki1989

Re: Asus Vivobook & Screen Brightness

I had this issue as well when I had a VivoBook. The brightness run off the intel_backlight module. There is a way to find max and min values then set it by hand. This can at least keep you from needing to reboot to change brightness.

My max level was 4008. Specifically you want to look into the ACPI stuff here BackLight ArchLinux Wiki

Hopefully this can help a smarter man than I to get it actually responding to Media Keys.

Last edited by loki1989 (2013-08-18 14:09:19)

Board footer