You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-13 07:02:12

Matesax

Arch Linux not see Ubuntu and reverse

Hi,
if I install GRUB into MBR from Arch Linux and try update-grub - its failed. Therefore this state of GRUB not contains menu entries... If i try install GRUB from Ubuntu - it have only Ubuntu in GRUB menu. (update-grub detect only Ubuntu kernel) Manual boot failed in step chainloader - invalid signature. What to do?
Thank you.

Last edited by Matesax (2013-08-13 07:03:53)

#2 2013-08-13 07:27:10

rufus
Banned

Re: Arch Linux not see Ubuntu and reverse

@Matesax ya gotta have all and any OS's mounted then run os-prober

end ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     'the machine is not the end to the means., we are. In history, in board rooms and politic the greatest  decision and effort
        evolves from passion, lust for life, and a common sense of humanity. Never forget what you are and why'.         -me

#3 2013-08-13 07:55:11

Matesax

Oh no! It MUST be mounted - I didn't know it... Sorry - it is easy! smile

#4 2013-08-20 19:50:34

andrekp

This is slight necro, but since it's a common problem:

Do a search on "lsb-release".  Os-prober likes to find this file when it goes looking for other linux systems.  Arch doesn't have one by default.  Copy Ubuntu's and put it in Arch.  Os-prober should now work fine.  You can mount the filesystem as well, but having the lsb-release file works (waaay back when I first looked into all this, I seem to recall that I found some reason why lsb-release was a better solution, but I can't remember if that's true or if I did).

Alternately, if you ONLY really need to update Ubuntu entries occassionally (Arch and Windows never need it, for example), just make the menu once, then put the entries for Arch in Ubuntu's /etc/grub.d/40_custom and disable the os-prober entirely.  only kernels that change names every time they upgrade need new entries created, so this is a simple solution if you dual boot, say Ubuntu and Arch, or Ubuntu and Arch and Windows.

Board footer