You are not logged in.

#76 2013-08-21 04:56:06

kinleyd

Re: What do people use file managers for?

I use gqview to view folders of images. Settled on this as it also comes with print options, which seems to be lacking in many image collection viewers.

Also, a recent convert to fasd. It's good stuff.

#77 2013-08-21 06:38:21

Jristz

So I have other that can use this machine, so I Need a filemanager anyway

or you think that one simple can teach how use CLI to an infant that not know how writte they name correctly??

Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

#78 2013-08-21 06:51:03

rufus
Banned

@Jristz if your point is that you are simple minded you made your point well.

end ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     'the machine is not the end to the means., we are. In history, in board rooms and politic the greatest  decision and effort
        evolves from passion, lust for life, and a common sense of humanity. Never forget what you are and why'.         -me

#79 2013-08-21 06:59:38

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

rufus, that comes across as very mean spirited: an apology is in order, please:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ther_Users

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#80 2013-08-21 07:05:18

rufus
Banned

somehow I knew you were gonna chime in.....
  @Jristz I apologize I was out of order
this is an advanced system intended for advanced users and I doubt any infant would fall into that catagory.

end ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     'the machine is not the end to the means., we are. In history, in board rooms and politic the greatest  decision and effort
        evolves from passion, lust for life, and a common sense of humanity. Never forget what you are and why'.         -me

#81 2013-08-21 07:43:31

lolilolicon

This is an advanced world for advanced humans but you still keep breeding inferior babies who have to face all the life's bugs; WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE DOING?

This silver ladybug at line 28...

#82 2013-08-21 08:00:06

Awebb

I use a filemanager, if there is a lot of random work to do, like sorting files that have no name parts in common. It's ranger most of the time, but sometimes there is so much data, that the graphic approach is better. When using dolphin, end up hitting F4 and use the cli most of the time.

This is a general thing: If I don't know, what my next three steps will be, then clicking is more creative than typing. Or even: I use the mouse, if I have no clue what I'm doing.

rufus wrote:

somehow I knew you were gonna chime in.....
  @Jristz I apologize I was out of order
this is an advanced system intended for advanced users and I doubt any infant would fall into that catagory.

Then perhaps the simple mind is more common, than you think. My uncle taught me how to navigate the DOS fs when I was 5 while he taught me how to read and write. He used a piece of paper to introduce me to files and folders and trees, but I assure you, when I have children of my own, I will teach them the same thing with a simple file manager. The earlier they learn abstraction, the faster they will grasp more complex concepts.

#83 2013-08-21 08:03:27

th3voic3

rufus wrote:

Yes, BUT: infants rarely administer their machines themselves, right? For example I administer my roommates machine. That machine runs arch as well? Why? Because I love Arch and since I do all the "under the hood" stuff, it doesn't matter what level of experience my roommate has.

Also I DO have non techie friends. And when they sit in front of my PC I open a vanilla Firefox for them, because luakit or Firefox with Pentadactyl confuses the hell out of them.

#84 2013-08-21 22:29:07

Jristz

No, really I HAVE a sister a young sister 8 years old and she sometimes, want play they on-line games in MY laptop or store random stuff in a pendrive and want Look that later in MY laptop

so, want or not, I need a filemanager (or even a 'look-so-windows' look a like desktop, so shee not begin to as 'random questions'

why she WANT use MY laptop for that.... who know

Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

#85 2013-08-22 00:35:46

Zazzman

I use filemanagers to *open files*.

Since the system manages file associations, I only ever open a program directly (ie without an intended file) to make *new* files, open the webbrowser or chat client, games, and occasionally a calculator.  This of course excludes command-line stuff.

I never open smplayer, the evince document viewer, virtualbox, feh, or a torrent client.  I open the file, and the program opens up around it - like any sensible, former Windows-user would have things.

I'm simply more comfortable looking through the fm for my files, at whatever size I like, in as many panes as I like, rather than in the cramped dialog boxes that come with programs' "open file" menus.  It is what is familiar, and habitual from my very first gui-days on Windows 3.1!

#86 2013-08-22 00:51:38

cfr

Thing is, I open almost all files using xdg-open...

EDIT: Or within Kile as only by opening Kile first do I preserve my previous working state.

Last edited by cfr (2013-08-22 00:52:24)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#87 2013-08-26 16:43:29

PReP
Website

I use both core-utils and filemanagers - it all depends on what i figure out to make the task at hand most effortless,
and try to stray away from having one set doctrine on what fits best.

Computer-tasks are as varied as life itself sometimes, and being dynamic in solving this or that is a good thing to strive for as i see it.

I tend to use spacefm, which really got on my good side when i discovered it.

. Main: Intel Core i5 6600k @ 4.4 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4 XMP, Gefore GTX 970 (Gainward Phantom) - Arch Linux 64-Bit
. Server: Intel Core i5 2500k @ 3.9 Ghz, 8 GB DDR2-XMP RAM @ 1600 Mhz, Geforce GTX 570 (Gainward Phantom) - Arch Linux 64-Bit
. Body: Estrogen @ 90%, Testestorone @ 10% (Not scientific just out-of-my-guesstimate-brain)

Board footer