You are not logged in.

#76 2013-08-11 23:49:19

WonderWoofy

Re: [SOLVED] -Syu broke things. After booting my screen goes black

@cfr, I am pretty sure tobit got it working again with the last downgrade attempt.  He did this by ssh'ing into the box and then performing the downgrade from there.  This likely ensured that all aspects of the filesystem were in place when the command was executed.

Still, I would try to now see if the linux-git package provides a working kernel.  It will take some time to compile, but will give a good idea of whether or not the future kernel versions are likely to work.

#77 2013-08-12 00:03:46

cfr

Ah, yes. tobit posted and your replied while I was writing my post, it seems. Or else I had the page open and forgot to refresh it. My post was referring to the stuff before that. Sorry for the confusion.

I also wouldn't mark it solved. I think whether you experiment with newer kernels is really up to you. It will give you more information about what's likely to happen but it really depends what your priorities are and whether you'd rather just hold off for a while and hope smile.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#78 2013-08-12 00:05:36

WonderWoofy

cfr wrote:

I also wouldn't mark it solved. I think whether you experiment with newer kernels is really up to you. It will give you more information about what's likely to happen but it really depends what your priorities are and whether you'd rather just hold off for a while and hope smile.

Yes, this is a good point.  I am certainly the type to always want to tinker and fix... until it breaks.... repeat.

This is something that might really lead to a good learning experience though, if you are interested.

#79 2013-08-12 00:16:43

tobit
Website

cfr wrote:

Obviously, the LTS and/or newer kernels are also good alternatives. Just the 3.9.* kernel is already sitting in tobit's cache so it seems a shame not to give it another shot.

3.9 from my cache is what I tried before (at the beginning of the thread from arch-chroot) and it's the one that I tried over ssh that actually worked.

Edit: irrelevant due to previous posts

Also I'll take off "SOVLED"

Last edited by tobit (2013-08-12 00:40:57)

#80 2013-08-12 19:44:18

David Batson

I've seen a couple of posts today that suggest adding the following kernel parameter may solve your issue with the newer kernel.

acpi_backlight=vendor

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=157312  post #14
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=292561 posts #12 and #20

#81 2013-08-12 21:49:55

cfr

Could you explain why you think that might help?

First, those threads both seem to concern blank screens in X and not on boot to CLI. Second, the first mentions why you shouldn't use this kernel command line parameter. (I couldn't find mention of it in the Fedora thread but I expect I skimmed too quickly.)

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#82 2013-08-13 03:36:00

David Batson

cfr wrote:

Could you explain why you think that might help?

First, those threads both seem to concern blank screens in X and not on boot to CLI. Second, the first mentions why you shouldn't use this kernel command line parameter. (I couldn't find mention of it in the Fedora thread but I expect I skimmed too quickly.)

From the Fedora thread:

rossman_2 wrote:

I think I'm having the same problem (seems to boot fine but screen turns black before login screen). I noticed it started after I updated to the 3.10.3-300 kernel and rebooted. When I boot to a 3.9 kernel, everything comes up fine.

rossman_2 wrote:
Colors wrote:

At boot, in the Grub menu, add acpi_backlight=vendor. If ok, edit /etc/defaut/grub and rebuild grub.conf:

# grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.

Tried updating to 3.10.4-300 kernel just to see if that would work out of the box. It didn't.

So I tried the above fix and lo-and-behold, it worked! Thanks for the fix!

P.S. It also worked for the 3.10.5 kernel so it must just be a necessary option now.

From the Arch thread:

brianbaligad wrote:

For anyone else like me who stumbled into this thread, I wanted to post a solution.  I'm using a Toshiba Saellite P70 (Intel Haswell i7) with the HD 4600 gpu. I fixed the kms blank black screen issue with a kernel paramter:

acpi_backlight=vendor

It's already noted in the troubleshooting section on the wiki.  Though it took me awhile to try it, since it wasn't described as a way to resolve a blank screen.

Sounds pretty similar to tobit's experience to me.

#83 2013-08-13 20:24:24

cfr

But it isn't actually at all clear which problem that is supposed to solve. If you follow the link to the wiki, that command line option - apart from possibly being deprecated - is suggested as a way to fix blank screens specifically in X.

I'm not saying it isn't worth trying. Of course it is worth trying and maybe it will work. I'm just noting that it seems intended to solve a different problem, is probably deprecated and may well cause as many problems as it solves. For example, if I use that option, I have no control of the backlight at all.

Note that tobit's problem, as I understand it, is not that the backlight doesn't work but, rather, that the screen is blank and backlit.

#84 2013-08-15 13:51:53

silverhammermba
Wiki Maintainer

The backlight can still be adjusted outside of X, so it seems like it could be applicable. Perhaps he could test it by trying to adjust his backlight when it boots to the blank screen.

#85 2013-08-15 22:15:51

tobit
Website

Problem persists after adding acpi_backlight=vendor. I should maybe mention that I've had a few run ins with this kernel parameter before. Furthermore, acpi_backlight=vendor causes my Fn+F[3-6] buttons to not adjust the backlight of my screen or keyboard on both kernels (3.9 and 3.10).

cfr is correct, my problem is that the screen is blank and the backlight is on. Thanks for the suggestions! I appreciate them, I'd love to actually solve the problem and move to 3.10.

#86 2013-08-15 22:29:43

WonderWoofy

If you want to try all the variations of acpi_* in order to just shoot in the dark, you can look at the file /usr/src/linux-$(uname -r)/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt.  It will tell you all the acceptable things yu can put there.  But I don't think that any of these will solve your problem...

Edit: Oh and you will need the linux-docs package as well.

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2013-08-15 22:30:20)

#87 2013-08-20 21:58:22

Venemo

Hi Guys,

I've had the exact same issue as you, with Fedora 19 on my Asus UX31A. I'm posting here because I think I found a working workaround to boot the new kernel.

1. Go to the BIOS settings (press F2 before booting) and enable the "Launch CSM" option. This did the trick for me.
2. After this, you might get a different issue when booting 3.10: the backlight isn't turned on properly. (As opposed to backlight being turned on but screen being blank, now the screen won't be blank but the backlight won't be turned on.) This can be fixed by acpi_backlight=vendor (which didn't work for me either with 3.10 or 3.9, before I enabled "Launch CSM")

NOTE: If you happen to use kernel 3.11, then acpi_backlight=vendor is not needed, but "Launch CSM" is still needed.
For more info, see the discussions here: https://ask.fedoraproject.org/question/ … ernel-310/

Right now I'm using kernel 3.11.0-0.rc6.git0.2.fc20.x86_64, I don't use acpi_backlight and everything works fine.

Hope this helps,
Timur

Last edited by Venemo (2013-08-21 05:35:30)

#88 2013-08-20 22:12:17

tobit
Website

Venemo wrote:

1. Go to the BIOS settings (press F2 before booting) and enable the "Launch CSM" option. This did the trick for me.
2. After this, you get a different issue when booting 3.10: the backlight isn't turned on properly. (As opposed to backlight being turned on but screen being blank, now the screen won't be blank but the backlight won't be turned on.) This can be fixed by acpi_backlight=vendor (which didn't work for me either with 3.10 or 3.9, before I enabled "Launch CSM")

Awesome, this somewhat works. My backlight is on but at the lowest setting, and I can't adjust it (with CSM enabled and acpi_backlight=vendor in my boot parameters. I'll probably stay rolled back (or try out 3.11 and see if my backlight stuff will work there with no problems), but it's nice to at least be able to see things. Thanks for sharing! I realllly appreciate it!

Edit Update: Removing the acpi_backlight=vendor parameter completely gives me the proper working, controllable backlight settings. HALLELUJAH! Thank you guys for all your help, I really appreciate. Thread now marked as [SOLVED]. I'm pretty happy about this, thanks again.

Last edited by tobit (2013-08-20 22:17:40)

#89 2013-08-21 05:36:50

Venemo

tobit wrote:

Awesome, this somewhat works. My backlight is on but at the lowest setting, and I can't adjust it (with CSM enabled and acpi_backlight=vendor in my boot parameters. I'll probably stay rolled back (or try out 3.11 and see if my backlight stuff will work there with no problems), but it's nice to at least be able to see things. Thanks for sharing! I realllly appreciate it!

Edit Update: Removing the acpi_backlight=vendor parameter completely gives me the proper working, controllable backlight settings. HALLELUJAH! Thank you guys for all your help, I really appreciate. Thread now marked as [SOLVED]. I'm pretty happy about this, thanks again.

I'm happy I could help!
The thing is, I have no idea how the CSM (compatibility support mode) is related to the issue, so this is not really a fix, just a workaround.

#90 2013-08-21 20:40:07

tobit
Website

Venemo wrote:

The thing is, I have no idea how the CSM (compatibility support mode) is related to the issue, so this is not really a fix, just a workaround.

I suppose, though it feels like more a fix than my previous workaround (rolling back my kernel)

#91 2013-08-23 04:38:28

silverhammermba
Wiki Maintainer

So my girlfriend has the exact same laptop as OP and has been holding off doing a full update until tobit found a workaround. Guess what? Full upgrade complete, no issues. That's odd.

#92 2013-08-24 20:53:18

johskar

CSM solved this problem on my ASUS Zenbook UX32VD too, thanks!

#93 2013-08-25 23:53:58

alexey

Hi Guys,

CSM does not work on ux21a, i choose enable in BIOS, but after Save and reboot, i see it is still disabled. Maybe this is due to my whole disk is GPT and has no mbr, loaders, etc... only UEFI boot is possible.

Please check my thread regarding this problem, i used a small hack to fix this issue:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 1#p1316891

Board footer