You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-26 23:06:42

lumiwa

i scare...

Hi!

I am long time linux user (Debian, SuSE) and I want to try ARCH but I scare, They said that I will need install all hardware manually...
I decided, that if I install Arch on my computer that will be on just an Arch (now is Debian).
I have a few questions:
1. How is about cable/dsl modem - Internet? Does it find automatically?
2. Sound Blaster? Does it find it? 
3. ATI graphcs cards? Should I install drivers from ATI site?
4. Update from old version to new? Is it possible?

Thanks in advance,

#2 2005-12-27 00:00:24

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: i scare...

lumiwa wrote:

1. How is about cable/dsl modem - Internet? Does it find automatically?

Find or setup?  Not set up automtically no.  You'll need to install the software etc to get it working - the wiki has details

lumiwa wrote:

2. Sound Blaster? Does it find it?

No problem as long as you know which modules you need.  lsmod >modules.txt and keep that hgandy when you install smile

lumiwa wrote:

3. ATI graphcs cards? Should I install drivers from ATI site?

You can use the archck kernel from our [community] repo and then use a pre packaged ATI driver from the same place.

lumiwa wrote:

4. Update from old version to new? Is it possible?

This is one of Arch's main strengths.  pacman, our pkg manager allows easy updates of all pkgs.

#3 2005-12-27 00:02:25

iBertus

Well, first let me welcome you to the forum! We always like to see new people around here.

1 & 2. Arch Linux does not have fancy graphical frontends for hardware detection like some of the more commercialized distros. You'll have to do a few simple configuration changes to make things work. Arch is really simple to configure if you are used to using a text editor to set things up. As long as your network hardware is supported by linux odds are support is compiled into the default Arch kernel. Also, your Sound Blaster should also be supported. However, these may not just automatically work. You can use something like hotplug or hwdetect to automatically load the correct kernel modules for your hardware, but it's also possible to just place the correct modules in the list in rc.conf.

3. The ATI drivers are around here somewhere as an Arch package. You should install that instead of the drivers from ATI's website.

4. The very nature of Arch is to avoid static releases. Arch is always up2date and does not really depend on new releases. Just pacman -Syu and you're finished!

#4 2005-12-27 00:03:39

iBertus

Wow, dibble types faster than me lol

#5 2005-12-27 02:08:07

lumiwa

iBertus wrote:

Well, first let me welcome you to the forum! We always like to see new people around here.

1 & 2. Arch Linux does not have fancy graphical frontends for hardware detection like some of the more commercialized distros. You'll have to do a few simple configuration changes to make things work. Arch is really simple to configure if you are used to using a text editor to set things up. As long as your network hardware is supported by linux odds are support is compiled into the default Arch kernel. Also, your Sound Blaster should also be supported. However, these may not just automatically work. You can use something like hotplug or hwdetect to automatically load the correct kernel modules for your hardware, but it's also possible to just place the correct modules in the list in rc.conf.

3. The ATI drivers are around here somewhere as an Arch package. You should install that instead of the drivers from ATI's website.

4. The very nature of Arch is to avoid static releases. Arch is always up2date and does not really depend on new releases. Just pacman -Syu and you're finished!

Thanks for very fast answer...thanks for both of you smile

I am installing now KDE and i have one question more. I have now default kernel. If i want to install drivers for a
ATI video card do i need to install new kernel?
I need to read more about pacman...
Uh, KDE is is on...

#6 2005-12-28 20:46:01

Komodo

lumiwa wrote:

I am installing now KDE and i have one question more. I have now default kernel. If i want to install drivers for a
ATI video card do i need to install new kernel?

Personally I'd leave the kernel as it is for the moment, download this script from the ATI site. Then run it (as root: sh [scriptname]) . Next generate a new xorg.conf by typing (again as root) fglrxconfig and following the instructions. To check whether all this has worked, restart the X server by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, log into KDE, open a terminal and type

glxinfo | grep direct

If it says "direct rendering: Yes" then you're done! If it doesn't say 'yes', you WILL have to install the new kernel: just type pacman -S ati-drivers and pacman will do the rest.

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#7 2005-12-28 22:35:54

leeghoofd

Note that you only need to install those ati drivers when you want to have 3d etc (games for instance)

If you just want to run kde and test if everything works etc you can use the (opensource) drivers that are in the default x for the time being and install those ati drivers later

Board footer