You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-22 04:54:21

Frivolous

[SOLVED] Enlightenment 17 Not Launching at Boot

I've recently tried installing Arch into a VirtualBox again. I've done it quite a few times with a few minor hiccups along the way, but I can usually get them figured out with past forum posts and the wiki. However, this time, I've hit a bit of a massive road block while trying to install e17 (my first time doing so, I've used LXDE and XFCE in the past, respectively). Anytime I boot up my Virtual Machine, it ignores e17 and goes straight into the base command line system. The startx command does work though (more on this later in the post).

I've gone through and installed all the files, installed SLiM in an effort to get that to work, got all of my VirtualBox graphical settings to work right, yet I still can't get enlightenment to start at boot. I can get it started from startx without being root, although when I do this, it fails to load any apps such as the terminal and movie player citing "Enlightment was unable to run the application: *** The application failed to start." But when I try to use sudo startx, it'll attempt to load but then give me the error: /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 56: exec: xterm: not found
xinit: connection to server lost

I have enlightment_start in the ~/.xinitrc file uncommented as well.

Sorry for the wall of text, and I'm extra sorry if this wasn't clear enough.

Any and all help is appreciated. If you know of a wiki article I was unable to find (I searched google, the wiki itself, as well as the forum but couldn't find anything too useful) please point me to it and I'll be on my way. smile

- Friv

P.S. I did find one forum post that was identical to the problem I have, but it never really had much of an answer besides OP reinstalling Arch and having everything workout. I'd like to avoid doing that if it all possible.
Forum post: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162428

Edit: I just realized I posted this in the Installation forum and not the Desktop Environment forum. Hopefully that doesn't cause any problems.

Last edited by Frivolous (2013-08-22 06:33:58)

#2 2013-08-22 05:38:54

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Enlightenment 17 Not Launching at Boot

E17 doesn't have a Display Manager (DM), so how are you trying to load it on boot? If you want a graphical login, you need to install a DM like LXDM, SDDM, KDM, GDM, etc. Forget SLiM, it's an outdated, dead project.

#3 2013-08-22 06:33:35

Frivolous

Re: [SOLVED] Enlightenment 17 Not Launching at Boot

Wow. I hadn't realized SLiM was that bad. I installed LXDM and it worked flawlessly. I'm still having e17 issues, but that's for another day.
Thanks for the really quick help.

Board footer