You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-23 15:24:32

ewaller
Administrator

journalctl does not honor size limits

On my system, I want to limit my journal size to 50M.

ewaller$@$odin /var/log/journal 1045 %pwd
/var/log/journal
ewaller$@$odin /var/log/journal 1046 %ls
78170aeea466aef82a0611e20000059c
ewaller$@$odin /var/log/journal 1047 %du -h
205M	./78170aeea466aef82a0611e20000059c
205M	.
ewaller$@$odin /var/log/journal 1048 %cat /etc/systemd/journald.conf
#  This file is part of systemd.
#
#  systemd is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
#  under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
#  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or
#  (at your option) any later version.
#
# See journald.conf(5) for details

[Journal]
#Storage=auto
#Compress=yes
#Seal=yes
#SplitMode=login
#SyncIntervalSec=5m
#RateLimitInterval=10s
#RateLimitBurst=200
SystemMaxUse=50M
#SystemKeepFree=
#SystemMaxFileSize=
RuntimeMaxUse=50M
#RuntimeKeepFree=
#RuntimeMaxFileSize=
#MaxRetentionSec=
#MaxFileSec=1month
#ForwardToSyslog=yes
#ForwardToKMsg=no
#ForwardToConsole=no
#TTYPath=/dev/console
#MaxLevelStore=debug
#MaxLevelSyslog=debug
#MaxLevelKMsg=notice
#MaxLevelConsole=info
ewaller$@$odin /var/log/journal 1049 %

It seems that the log is consuming 205M.  All of the files in the journal tree end with .journal

Am I missing something?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#2 2013-08-23 16:02:38

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: journalctl does not honor size limits

You probably already checked this, but when I set my journal to 50M systemd left all of the old stuff and started respecting the size for everything new. I ended up manually deleting old entries.

#3 2013-08-23 16:21:00

ewaller
Administrator

All of the files in 78170aeea466aef82a0611e20000059c are newer than the modification date of /etc/systemd/journalf.conf

I am at $DAYJOB right now.  When I get home, maybe I'll wipe the journal folder out and allow it to start anew.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2013-08-23 17:04:57

alphaniner

Seems to be working here:

$ nocom /etc/systemd/journald.conf 
[Journal]
SystemMaxUse=50M
SystemMaxFileSize=10M
$ du -sh /var/log/journal/
49M	/var/log/journal/

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#5 2013-08-25 15:05:01

Kilzool

alphaniner wrote:

Seems to be working here:

$ nocom /etc/systemd/journald.conf 
[Journal]
SystemMaxUse=50M
SystemMaxFileSize=10M
$ du -sh /var/log/journal/
49M	/var/log/journal/

What R the # of DAYS that the journal stores, when you R
using this?   I'm curious.

#6 2013-08-25 15:25:51

WonderWoofy

@Klitzool, the idea of setting *MaxUse and *MaxFileSize is that it is indpendent of the number of days before rotation.  The old logrotate method is done by the number of days, but it seems to me that (if functioning correctly) doing it by size is superior.  Say for example, you are on your machine all day and you have a service that is out of control and is constantly logging to the journal (though not quite fast enough to be simply ignored), then your logs will rotate much faster than if you had a perfectly smooth machine wich you only turned on for an hour a day.

#7 2013-08-25 16:13:47

Leonid.I

WonderWoofy wrote:

@Klitzool, the idea of setting *MaxUse and *MaxFileSize is that it is indpendent of the number of days before rotation.  The old logrotate method is done by the number of days, but it seems to me that (if functioning correctly) doing it by size is superior.  Say for example, you are on your machine all day and you have a service that is out of control and is constantly logging to the journal (though not quite fast enough to be simply ignored), then your logs will rotate much faster than if you had a perfectly smooth machine wich you only turned on for an hour a day.

Not at all. The logrotate tool coupled with cron is way more flexible than journal's internal mechanism. From man 8 logrotate.conf:

maxsize size
              Log files are rotated when they grow bigger than size bytes even before the additionally  speci‐
              fied  time  interval  (daily,  weekly,  monthly, or yearly).  The related size option is similar
              except that it is mutually exclusive with the time interval options, and it causes log files  to
              be  rotated  without regard for the last rotation time.  When maxsize is used, both the size and
              timestamp of a log file are considered.

minsize  size
              Log files are rotated when they grow bigger than size bytes, but  not  before  the  additionally
              specified time interval (daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly).  The related size option is similar
              except that it is mutually exclusive with the time interval options, and it causes log files  to
              be  rotated  without regard for the last rotation time.  When minsize is used, both the size and
              timestamp of a log file are considered.

Last edited by Leonid.I (2013-08-25 16:16:10)

Arch Linux is more than just GNU/Linux -- it's an adventure
pkill -9 systemd

#8 2013-08-25 19:34:45

WonderWoofy

Interesting, thanks for pointing that out Leonid.I.  But still, it would seem that if you want this criteria to be honored, logrotate would still have to be run, and likely at a shorter interval than the standard cron.daily.  See here:

logrotate(8) wrote:

It will not modify a log multiple times in one day unless the criterion for that log is based on the  log's  size  and  logrotate  is being run multiple times each day, or unless the -f or --force option is used.

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2013-08-25 19:35:11)

#9 2013-08-25 22:35:47

89c51

There was a bug on this that falconindy himself opened if i remember correctly but have no idea if its been fixed.

#10 2013-08-25 22:46:42

karol
Archivist

89c51 wrote:

There was a bug on this that falconindy himself opened if i remember correctly but have no idea if its been fixed.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=154567

#11 2013-08-25 22:56:03

89c51

Thanks. I set SystemMaxUse= to default and stopped caring about it some time ago.

He marked it as invalid.
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=58549

I changed it to 50M and restarted the journal and:

$ sudo journalctl --disk-usage
Journals take up 52.8M on disk.

Which i think is ok.

Last edited by 89c51 (2013-08-25 23:04:17)

#12 2013-08-26 13:13:20

alphaniner

Kilzool wrote:

What R the # of DAYS that the journal stores, when you R using this?   I'm curious.

The oldest file is user-1000.journal dated 17 June. As for normal journal files (system@...journal), the oldest is dated 11 July. The conf file was last modified 17 April.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#13 2013-08-26 15:18:08

Kilzool

I have a question, and can't seem to figure it out, maybe I am confused.

How do I specify I only want 5 days of logs (1 week).. and each day they
shouldn't take up more than 5m, and in 5 days, no more than 50m.

So I will always have 5 days of logs.

#14 2013-08-26 15:31:27

WonderWoofy

@Kilzool,
The systemd journal does not have any functionality to rotate its logs out by the number of days.  You can surely set the size limits as mentioned above.  But in order to have a max of 5 days worth of journals, you'd probably have to have some other mechanism that clears out any journal files that more >5 days. 

But this is pretty far off topic from ewaller's original thread topic.  So try implementing something, do some testing, and if you have problems, start a new thread instead of hijacking an existing one.

#15 2013-08-26 15:32:33

karol
Archivist

If single day takes at most 5 MB, 5 days won't exceed 25 MB ...
Just 5 days worth of logs is a bit short, but

MaxFileSec=

The maximum time to store entries in a single journal file before rotating to the next one. Normally, time-based rotation should not be required as size-based rotation with options such as SystemMaxFileSize= should be sufficient to ensure that journal files do not grow without bounds. However, to ensure that not too much data is lost at once when old journal files are deleted, it might make sense to change this value from the default of one month. Set to 0 to turn off this feature. This setting takes time values which may be suffixed with the units "year", "month", "week", "day", "h" or "m" to override the default time unit of seconds.

together with SystemMaxFileSize= should be what you need.

Board footer