You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-24 19:21:56

mythus
Website

[SOLVED!] KDE 4.11 - Window Manager seems not to be running?

Greetings,

I still seem unable to fix the fact that systemsettings will run. However it will run if you do kdesu systemsettings.

Doing so I started checking around in it and thought I'd look at the desktop effects, when I was greeted with this:

nowm.png

So, I am guessing that the window borders and buttons are a figment of my imagination....

This is after me pretty much starting over with KDE, removing the .kde and .kde4 folders.

Help?

Edit: That pic seems to not link right. Yay. Basically it says that effects can not be activated or whatever because a window manager seems not to be running. The irony of it is you can see the fact that there are window borders and buttons and such, evidence of a WM...

I wonder if there is something here that is related to me not being able to run systemsettings... yet systemsettings will run fine in any other environment - including Gnome Shell.

Another thing, KDE 4.11 ran great in testing and kde_unstable. Once it went to extra, things happened. I find that odd. Maybe something is missing on my end that most archers already have?

Edit2: fixed image link

Last edited by mythus (2013-08-25 20:49:38)

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#2 2013-08-24 19:30:31

clfarron4
Website

Re: [SOLVED!] KDE 4.11 - Window Manager seems not to be running?

Hi there. You've posted a thumbnail to the image you want to link, but you've linked us to the imagehost, not the image itself. Go back, get the url of the big image, edit your post and change url=http://postimage.org/ to url=(address of big image). Then we should be able to help you.

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#3 2013-08-24 19:35:20

mythus
Website

Yeah, I noticed it and fixed it. Please refer to edited first post. Thanks.

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#4 2013-08-24 20:59:24

clfarron4
Website

What actually happens if you click "Enable OpenGL detection"?

I'm not a KDE user, so I'll pass this onto someone who can ask more sensible questions.

Not so important right now, but what graphics card are you using?

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#5 2013-08-24 21:22:14

mythus
Website

That screenshot is what I get. It is what I get if I try anything regarding Desktop Effects.

It is an NVIDIA Corporation GT200 [GeForce GTX 260] card. Running nvidia driver.

#6 2013-08-24 22:28:39

cfr

I realise this may sound glib but is your system fully updated? There were more KDE updates today. Have you rebooted since? In fact, have you tried rebooting a second time since?

I have no idea why but KDE often plays up for me following an update. 9 times out of 10 the problems are gone if I reboot a second time. This was certainly true for me today. I had all kinds of weirdness after rebooting - klauncher wasn't meant to be running (but it seemed to work for some things), stuff was slow, I had no control of the power/logout/reboot etc. via the menu, firefox looked horrendous, mouse worked weirdly and on and on. Second reboot: seems to be working.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#7 2013-08-25 20:13:37

mythus
Website

I have continually checked for and applied updates, including today (August 25, 2013 for posterity). And rebooted.

Still, no dice.

Thinking that there must be some dot file messing things up, I've went through them and systematically removed them, but have yet to find the offender. In the mean time so that I can get work done, I've been using Gnome Shell. Gnome Shell is fine, but I do miss KDE...

Hopefully though a solution will appear. The one thing I haven't done is a new user. That would be something for me to test later if nothing else shows to be the cause.

#8 2013-08-25 20:29:14

Thaodan

which compositor type do you use? (Advanced->Compositor-Type) Check if you use Xrender or OpenGL 1.x. Tip: Since 4.11 KDE has OpenGL 3.x support.

Linux odin 3.13.1-pf #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 5 21:47:28 CET 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux

#9 2013-08-25 20:34:13

mythus
Website

No omeringen, Nvidia user.

I can try again Thaodan since I've had some updates come through (and weeded out some dot files). Last time I tried I saw OpenGL 2 selected. Trying to change to 3 or anything else also got the screenshot in my OP.

I'll log into KDE and see if it still does the same, after a brief check for last minute updates.

EDIT: OK, so I can mark this as solved. I found an odd dot file, who's name excapes me but deals with kde sessions, just sitting around in the home folder. Once I deleted it and restarted, I found that not only System Settings finally ran again as a user, but I could also change and apply desktop effects. Peculiar. I thought that maybe it was a dot file that was causing the problem, that wasn't in the .kde or .kde4 folder. It just took finding it and removing it.

I wish I knew more to tell, but this at least solves my issue, and the issue with the non-running-as-user system settings I had posted in another thread (thinking that they were separate events. Thanks again for all your help guys!

Last edited by mythus (2013-08-25 20:49:05)

#10 2023-01-17 14:25:09

friendOfGreen

For goodness sake, let us know the name of that file.
I'm facing the same issue with the system settings app.

#11 2023-01-17 15:03:30

V1del
Forum Moderator

You are replying to a nearly 10 year old thread. KDE 4 is long gone, it's basically impossible you are running into the same issue.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Genera … bumping%22

Make a new thread and post the terminal output of attempting to open systemsettings

Board footer