You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-25 20:41:53

cliffordsr

[SOLVED] Can't mount exFAT external hard drive

An error occurred while accessing 'eGo', the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/sdc2 at /run/media/clifford/eGo: Command-line `mount -t "exfat" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid" "/dev/sdc2" "/run/media/clifford/eGo"' exited with non-zero exit status 1: stdout: `FUSE exfat 1.0.1 ' stderr: `ERROR: `._.com.apple.timemachine.donotpresent' has invalid checksum (0x5292 != 0x4ca2). '

Above is when I try and have KDE mount it for me.
I tried to mount it myself and got the same error:

$ sudo mount -t exfat /dev/sdc2 /run/media/clifford/eGo
FUSE exfat 1.0.1
ERROR: `._.com.apple.timemachine.donotpresent' has invalid checksum (0x5292 != 0x4ca2).

How do I fix the problem with fuse-exfat (I'm assuming the problem is with this package)?
I tried:

$ sudo pacman -Rn fuse-exfat
$ sudo pacman -S fuse-exfat

But no success.
Thanks for any help!
-Cliff

Last edited by cliffordsr (2013-08-28 17:31:07)

#2 2013-08-25 20:46:11

falconindy
Developer
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Can't mount exFAT external hard drive

At a glance I'd say that your device isn't exfat... what's the output of 'lsblk -f'?

#3 2013-08-25 21:35:21

cliffordsr

@falconindy
It's exfat  hmm

NAME   FSTYPE LABEL            UUID                                 MOUNTPOINT
sda                                                                 
├─sda1 ntfs   Windows RE tools 809601E19601D914                     
├─sda2 vfat   SYSTEM           A403-C7EA                            /boot/efi
├─sda3                                                              
├─sda4 ntfs   Windows          5E8C13818C1352BF                     
└─sda5 ext4   Arch             f8a1a52e-afc9-4fcd-89f1-bdea1f2e5d4b /
sdb                                                                 
├─sdb1                                                              
├─sdb2 ntfs   Shared           5252E8A152E88AD5                     /mnt/shared                                                   
└─sdb3 ext4   ArchHome         ef7bdf2c-b311-4c29-b23c-5a2b6d096551 /home                                                         
sdc                                                                                                                               
├─sdc1 vfat   EFI              70D6-1701                                                                                          
└─sdc2 exfat  eGo              5140-8F62                                            

#4 2013-08-25 21:41:43

cliffordsr

I don't actually think it's a problem with fuse-exfat, as GParted says:

Warning:
Unable to read the contents of this file system!
Because of this some operations might be unavailable.

So it's a problem with the hard drive?
I really hope it's fixable, as I have quite a few important files on there.

-Cliff

EDIT:
Tried the drive on a different computer, and it worked fine. So it probably is the package that's messed up, and GParted threw that error because it was unable to use the package to read the drive?
How to I fix the checksums that apear to be causing the problem?

Last edited by cliffordsr (2013-08-25 21:56:26)

#5 2013-08-25 21:55:23

falconindy
Developer
Website

You might try the kernel based exfat driver from the AUR, then. Would strongly suggest exfat-git over exfat.

#6 2013-08-26 00:03:07

cliffordsr

Unless anyone has different advice, I'm going to use a different computer to copy all 750 gb to a different drive, and reformat this drive to NTFS.

If anyone figures this out, I'd be curious to hear what the problem was.

As of now I'm going to remove exfat-utils and fuse-exfat so I don't forget and accidentally try and do something with an exfat drive.

Thanks,
-Cliff

#7 2013-08-26 00:18:56

WonderWoofy

Why didn't you take falconindy's advice to try the exfat native module from the AUR?

#8 2013-08-26 04:05:19

cliffordsr

Once I got exfat working, I was probably going to copy files off the drive and reformat it anyway because exfat isn't as fast/good as NTFS (I only used it because I was previously working between Linux, Windows, and Mac. Now I'm just down to Linux and Windows, so NTFS is perfect), and when I tried to install exfat-git from the AUR so I would have future compatibility, I got this:

aura >>= Well, building `exfat-git` failed.                                                                                       
aura >>= Dumping makepkg output in 3.. 2.. 1..                                                                                    
==> Making package: exfat-git 60.c00c4c1-1 (Sun Aug 25 23:54:16 EST 2013)                                                         
==> Checking runtime dependencies...                                                                                              
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...                                                                                            
==> Retrieving sources...                                                                                                         
  -> Cloning exfat-git git repo...                                                                                                
==> Validating source files with md5sums...                                                                                       
    exfat-git ... Skipped                                                                                                         
==> Extracting sources...                                                                                                         
  -> Creating working copy of exfat-nofuse git repo...                                                                            
==> Starting pkgver()...                                                                                                          
==> Updated version: exfat-git 63.0809cdb-1                                                                                       
==> Starting build()...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
make: *** No targets.  Stop.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...

Cloning into bare repository '/var/cache/pacman/pkg/exfat-git28805/exfat-git/exfat-git'...
Checking connectivity... done
Cloning into 'exfat-git'...
done.
Building module for 3.10.7-1-ARCH

error: no targets specified (use -h for help)
Raw shell command call failed.

So I decided not to worry about it because I didn't need it.
If there's an easy fix though, that would be good

Sorry falconindy for not explaining; very rude of me to disregard you when you are using your time to help me.

-Cliff

#9 2013-08-27 02:05:15

cliffordsr

Marking solved at this time

#10 2013-08-27 02:35:41

WonderWoofy

Did you try building the normal exfat package?  It provides the sources that were actually published by Samsung (along with a few other patches for 3.9 and 3.10 as well as a patch to make an alias for the module as well).

#11 2013-08-27 04:16:06

cliffordsr

aura >>= Well, building `exfat` failed.
aura >>= Dumping makepkg output in 3.. 2.. 1..
==> Making package: exfat 1.2.4-4 (Tue Aug 27 00:20:55 EST 2013)                                                                  
  -> Found exfat_1.2.4.zip                                                                                                        
  -> Found 3.9-compat.patch                                                                                                       
  -> Found 3.10-compat.patch                                                                                                      
  -> Found add-module-alias.patch                                                                                                 
==> Validating source files with sha256sums...                                                                                    
    exfat_1.2.4.zip ... Passed                                                                                                    
    3.9-compat.patch ... Passed                                                                                                   
    3.10-compat.patch ... Passed                                                                                                  
    add-module-alias.patch ... Passed                                                                                             
  -> Extracting exfat_1.2.4.zip with bsdtar                                                                                       
==> Starting prepare()...                                                                                                         
==> Starting build()...                                                                                                           
make: *** /usr/lib/modules/3.10.7-1-ARCH/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.                                                 
    Aborting...                                                                                                                   

patching file exfat_super.c                                                                                                       

error: no targets specified (use -h for help)                                                                                     
Raw shell command call failed.  

Should I just create that directory? ( /usr/lib/modules/3.10.7-1-ARCH/build )

#12 2013-08-27 04:28:34

WonderWoofy

You know that if you build a kernel module you need to have the kernel-headers installed?  Otherwise there is nothing for the module to build against. 

As a side note, in this case it has nothign to do with it, but if you get build failures using an AUR helper, you need to try to build the package with just makepkg and post that output instead.  Otherwise failures can sometimes be attributed to the AUR helper itself and there is no way to tell unless there is someone who happens to be intimately familiar with that particular helper.

#13 2013-08-27 18:26:28

cliffordsr

I just installed linux-headers, and built without aura. Here's the output:

==> Making package: exfat-git 60.c00c4c1-1 (Tue Aug 27 14:31:42 EST 2013)                                                         
  -> Cloning exfat-git git repo...                                                                                                
Cloning into bare repository '/home/clifford/docs/builds/exfat-git/exfat-git'...                                                  
remote: Counting objects: 259, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (136/136), done.
remote: Total 259 (delta 155), reused 218 (delta 121)
Receiving objects: 100% (259/259), 108.80 KiB | 0 bytes/s, done.                                                                  
Resolving deltas: 100% (155/155), done.                                                                                           
    exfat-git ... Skipped                                                                                                         
done.                                                                                                                             
==> Starting pkgver()...                                                                                                          
==> Updated version: exfat-git 68.aaf3962-1                                                                                       
==> Starting build()...                                                                                                           
    Aborting...  

Out of curiosity, do you use an AUR helper? Why/why not?

#14 2013-08-27 18:30:26

Scimmia
Fellow

take a look at /usr/lib/modules, it sounds like you have an old dir hanging around. You should only have dirs for the kernels you have installed plus the extramodules dirs for the same. You should not have one for 3.10.7-1-ARCH if you're up to date.

Last edited by Scimmia (2013-08-27 18:30:52)

#15 2013-08-28 13:55:07

cliffordsr

I deleted that directory (moved it elsewhere), and building still didn't work. I decided to wait until my next reboot to see if that would fix it. Just rebooted, and I was dropped into emergency mode, because of two problems. Here's an image:

1267494_413086938796163_382314150_o.jpg

(http://s24.postimg.org/3nlerlm6d/126749 … 4150_o.jpg)

Should I move that folder back?

EDIT:
Moved it back and still doesn't boot.
Help?

Thanks,

-Cliff

Last edited by cliffordsr (2013-08-28 15:12:46)

#16 2013-08-28 15:59:45

WonderWoofy

If you read the PKGBUILD, the exfat module is built for every installed kernel.  It does this by querying the contents of /usr/lib/modules/extramodules-*/version.  So if that file doesn't point it to where it should be, or if you have extraneous crap floating around there, then it won't work.

Also, moving the modules directory is fine, as long as you aren't using that kernel version.  I have no idea what you actually are using, but it would seem from a quick glance at that shot you posted that you just took away all the modules for the booting kernel.  Scimmia even told you:

Scimmia wrote:

You should not have one for 3.10.7-1-ARCH if you're up to date.

Your machine is actually booting just fine.  It is just not able to make it all the way to the multi-user.taget (or the graphical.target).  It is attemptig to give you some really quality logging information, which you seem to have just taken a picture of, posted, and otherwise payed no mind to.

#17 2013-08-28 16:06:16

Scimmia
Fellow

cliffordsr, what kernel are you booting? uname -r should tell you. Make sure you have the modules dir for that kernel.

I'm guessing you updated the kernel without copying it to the EFI partition? You had to be up to date in order to install the headers, right?

#18 2013-08-28 17:07:34

cliffordsr

@WonderWoofy:
/usr/lib/modules/extramodules-3.10-ARCH/version contains 3.10.7-1-ARCH
Second, I assumed I was up to date because I did an -Syu five days ago. Incorrect assumption on my part.
Third, I'll be more careful with how I phrase things next time (in response to "Your machine is actually booting just fine.  It is just not able to make it all the way to the multi-user.taget (or the graphical.target)").
Finally, I haven't "just taken a picture of, posted, and otherwise payed no mind to" that logging info. I read it, posted it, and then proceeded to fix what I thought the problem was--that the dir in modules was gone (which is exactly what you said). It didn't work because I moved it back to the wrong folder (didn't have another device to check where it was supposed to go, and my memory did not serve me correctly), but I have just now realized that and corrected it (which fixed the problem).
I should have tried moving the folder back before posting that info; however, I still tried it before anyone responded and then I posted my results. So I don't know why you are getting exasperated at me for not thinking for myself, when in fact I did exactly what you are suggesting before you suggested it.
I don't want to seem unappreciative of your help, but I think your attitude is undeserved.

@Scimmia:

$ uname -r
3.10.7-1-ARCH

So I do need to update.
I believe all files in my ESP are up to date with my kernel though.

Just updated; exfat-git still builds with the same problem hmm

==> Making package: exfat-git 68.aaf3962-1 (Wed Aug 28 13:10:27 EST 2013)                                                                                                                                                                                               
  -> Updating exfat-git git repo...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
Fetching origin                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
remote: Counting objects: 5, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (1/1), done.
remote: Total 3 (delta 2), reused 3 (delta 2)
Unpacking objects: 100% (3/3), done.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
From https://github.com/rxrz/exfat-nofuse                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
   aaf3962..f02c5b8  master     -> master                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    exfat-git ... Skipped                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
done.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
==> Starting pkgver()...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
==> Updated version: exfat-git 69.f02c5b8-1                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
==> Removing existing pkg/ directory...
==> Starting build()...
Building module for 3.10.9-1-ARCH
    Aborting...

Thoughts?
Thanks for any and all help,
-Cliff

#19 2013-08-28 17:24:21

Scimmia
Fellow

Source changed, the PKGBUILD hasn't been updated. It won't build as written. The exfat package should build, though.

Last edited by Scimmia (2013-08-28 17:25:49)

#20 2013-08-28 17:30:43

cliffordsr

Ok; just installed exfat from the AUR as a replacement.
Thanks for all the help,
-Cliff

#21 2013-08-28 17:34:04

WonderWoofy

Did you update before building that?  You said you are still booting 3.10.7 (and confirmed by 'uname -r'), yet as the output clearly shows, it is trying to build the module for 3.10.9.  So I think you need to get your booting kernel, modules, etc in order before proceeding any further here.

Sorry if I'm coming across as having an "attitude" but all too often people post large swaths of their journal without actually reading the contents.  So it is as though they are trying to outsource the reading of their logs to others.  You are right that you actually did try to fix the problem. I apologize, an my intent was not to put you down.  I just want to help you help yourself.

As another side note, you said that you updated some days ago.  It would seem that since that time you then installed the kernel headers.  This is what is referred to as a "partial upgrade" and is not supported.  It will often even lead to breakage.  This is beacuse the assumption with the Arch Linux repos is that the user will be up to date.  So the package dependencies are not versioned typically.  That is, if you installed the linux package, and then you now realize that you need the linux-headers package, it won't stop you from installing the linux-headers 3.10.9 while still running the 3.10.7 kernel... which, as you have found, doesn't quite work right.

To answer your question about the AUR helper, I do use an AUR helper.  But I typically user cower.  Cower is able to downlaod the srcpackage tarball and then unpack it for you.  From there, you still use the normal build tools included with pacman in order to make the package.  It can handle dpendencies as well, but this simple means that it will download the build sources for the package in question as well as any other AUR build scripts it requires.  You still ahve to do the building yourself.

There is nothing wrong with using an AUR helper, so long as you know how to use makepkg on its own, and understand the inherent risks with them.  I know that people use things like yaourt to actually update pacman as well, and then often run into problems.  When they do, there is a flood of questions here about why things are failing.  Often times it can be fixed by simply using the official tools.

#22 2013-08-28 17:49:00

Scimmia
Fellow

WonderWoofy wrote:

As another side note, you said that you updated some days ago.  It would seem that since that time you then installed the kernel headers.  This is what is referred to as a "partial upgrade" and is not supported.  It will often even lead to breakage.  This is beacuse the assumption with the Arch Linux repos is that the user will be up to date.  So the package dependencies are not versioned typically.  That is, if you installed the linux package, and then you now realize that you need the linux-headers package, it won't stop you from installing the linux-headers 3.10.9 while still running the 3.10.7 kernel... which, as you have found, doesn't quite work right.

Not true. Unless you update your package database only (pacman -Sy), pacman will still try to download the headers for 3.10.7. If the mirror doesn't keep old packages, it will return a 404. It will not just install a different version.

Of course, if you did do a pacman -Sy, it will get a different version, which is why you should never do that.

Last edited by Scimmia (2013-08-28 17:50:55)

#23 2013-08-28 18:10:28

cliffordsr

I did an -Syu yesterday, but decided not to download everything as I wanted to boot into Windows to download the new HumbleBundle, so it was essentially an -Sy
But now everything is up to date, and working.

cower looks interesting; I'm going to try it in place or aura.

How often do each of you do pacman -Syu ? Wiki just recommends you upgrade during free time when you're prepared for breakage; I update about once a week. Do you recommend more often? Less? I guess to some degree it's arbitrary.

-Cliff

#24 2013-11-28 05:53:20

felixonmars
Developer/TU
Website

Just a note that I ran into exactly the same problem as OP, and I did the following to get it back to work:

- install aur/exfat-dkms-git (as i'm using a customized kernel - but the same error also happens for stock kernel and even -lts one)
- remove fuse-exfat
- restart dkms (so it loads the module automatically)
- try to mount it again (using KDE Device Notifier plasmoid)

And it just works without a problem. So I'd say falconindy's right big_smile

Hope this helps someone google'd here.

PGP key: 30D7CB92
Key fingerprint: B597 1F2C 5C10 A9A0 8C60  030F 786C 63F3 30D7 CB92

#25 2014-12-03 03:11:34

saigon

I got lost in the instructions above. So i tried sticking the drive on a mac and running Disk Utility, and hit the repair disk option, which did the trick. Am going to go out on a limb and say the problem has to do with the way MacOS handles ExFat and not necessarily on the specific linux implementation of ExFat

Board footer