You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-25 11:42:03

NorthAntrim

[SOLVED] vconsole.conf not setting keymap or font on new install

I've installed Arch for the first time on my Lenovo Z580 and after boot, vconsole.conf does not set the keymap or font.

Here are the contents of vconsole.conf:

KEYMAP=uk
FONT=Lat2-Terminus16

I did find a thread where adding "i915" to MODULES in  /etc/mkinitcpio.conf fixed the issue, however it hasn't for me.

setfont and loadkeys work fine.

Last edited by NorthAntrim (2013-08-25 22:24:33)

#2 2013-08-25 12:41:19

CH2IS

Re: [SOLVED] vconsole.conf not setting keymap or font on new install

I think you need to add "keymap" to the hooks array in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and then run:

mkinitcpio -p linux

Edit: typo

Last edited by CH2IS (2013-08-25 13:08:55)

#3 2013-08-25 12:47:05

NorthAntrim

CH2IS wrote:

I think you need to add "keymap" to the hooks array in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and then run:

mkinitcpio -p linux

Edit: typo

Thanks. That didn't work, but here's the output from mkinitcpio -p linux:

==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> Starting build: 3.10.9-1-ARCH
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
  -> Running build hook: [keymap]
==> WARNING: keymap: hook specified, but no KEYMAP found in configuration
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> Image generation successful
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> Starting build: 3.10.9-1-ARCH
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: bfa
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: aic94xx
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: smsmdtv
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
  -> Running build hook: [keymap]
==> WARNING: keymap: hook specified, but no KEYMAP found in configuration
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img
==> Image generation successful

#4 2013-08-25 12:49:51

CH2IS

Hmm. Not entirely sure then. If you want a UK keyboard inside X, you need to add the following to ~/.xinitrc

setxkbmap gb

#5 2013-08-25 13:30:41

NorthAntrim

CH2IS wrote:

Hmm. Not entirely sure then. If you want a UK keyboard inside X, you need to add the following to ~/.xinitrc

setxkbmap gb

Thanks, though I'm using Xfce which has set the keyboard layout. It's not urgent, but hopefully someone can help me.

#6 2013-08-25 13:35:05

CH2IS

It may be worth searching for some sort of vconsole systemd service file and checking it's status. Can't say I've come across one before but it probably exists. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

#7 2013-08-25 13:42:08

WonderWoofy

So it this inside of X that you are experiencing the issue, or is it in the TTY?

#8 2013-08-25 13:51:13

NorthAntrim

WonderWoofy wrote:

So it this inside of X that you are experiencing the issue, or is it in the TTY?

Sorry, in ttys. In X it's fine since Xfce sets the layout. In the ttys the default font is used (instead of Lat2-Terminus16) and a US keymap is in use instead of the UK one.

#9 2013-08-25 13:56:15

WonderWoofy

What does the journal tell you about systemd-vconsole-setup.service?  Or I guess a quicker way to at least get an idea of what is going on, use systemctl status systemd-vconsole-setup.service.

Does the stuff get applied if you run systemctl restart systemd-vconsole-setup.service?

#10 2013-08-25 17:25:41

NorthAntrim

WonderWoofy wrote:

What does the journal tell you about systemd-vconsole-setup.service?  Or I guess a quicker way to at least get an idea of what is going on, use systemctl status systemd-vconsole-setup.service.

Does the stuff get applied if you run systemctl restart systemd-vconsole-setup.service?

Here's the output from the first command:

systemd-vconsole-setup.service - Setup Virtual Console
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-vconsole-setup.service; static)
   Active: active (exited) since Sun 2013-08-25 18:21:46 BST; 1min 22s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-vconsole-setup.service(8)
           man:vconsole.conf(5)
  Process: 122 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-vconsole-setup (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

From journal (journalctl -u systemd-vconsole-setup.service) (southern (as in the ocean) is my hostname):

-- Reboot --
Aug 25 18:27:24 southern systemd[1]: Started Setup Virtual Console.

Running the last command doesn't apply keymap or font. Output from journal after running command:

Aug 25 18:29:34 southern systemd[1]: Stopping Setup Virtual Console...
Aug 25 18:29:34 southern systemd[1]: Starting Setup Virtual Console...
Aug 25 18:29:34 southern systemd[1]: Started Setup Virtual Console.

Last edited by NorthAntrim (2013-08-25 17:31:57)

#11 2013-08-25 18:52:00

WonderWoofy

If you try having just the KEYMAP= or just the FONT= in there, does either of those work on their own?  When you make changes to the /etc/vconsole.conf file, don't forget to regenerate your initramfs since you have the 'keymap' hook in there.  Otherwise the initramfs is going to still be trying to apply the old vconsole.conf.

#12 2013-08-25 18:58:38

NorthAntrim

WonderWoofy wrote:

If you try having just the KEYMAP= or just the FONT= in there, does either of those work on their own?  When you make changes to the /etc/vconsole.conf file, don't forget to regenerate your initramfs since you have the 'keymap' hook in there.  Otherwise the initramfs is going to still be trying to apply the old vconsole.conf.

Thanks for your reply. I tried both of them on their own, however neither were applied.

I also regenerated initramfs but again, they didn't work.

#13 2013-08-25 19:14:53

WonderWoofy

And just to make sure, you do actually have Intel graphics, yes?  Otherwise, adding the i915 module to your initramfs is rather pointless…

#14 2013-08-25 20:57:18

NorthAntrim

WonderWoofy wrote:

And just to make sure, you do actually have Intel graphics, yes?  Otherwise, adding the i915 module to your initramfs is rather pointless…

Yeah;

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device 3902
	Kernel driver in use: i915
	Kernel modules: i915

#15 2013-08-25 21:26:51

WonderWoofy

Can you set it to anything besides KEYMAP=us?  Also, it shouldn't matter, but I'm out of ideas, so have you tried quoting the values? 

The only other thing I can think of would be to ensure that the systemd-vconsole-setup.service is 'After=systemd-udev-settle.service'.  But assuming that you have implemented early KMS properly, this should have no affect on the setup.  Maybe you could try taking the 'keymap' hook out of your initramfs so that you can be absolutely sure that the keymap setup will be after the loading of i915 (since i915 will still be in the initramfs and the keymap will be loaded after early userspace).

Otherwise… I'm stumped.  Sorry.

#16 2013-08-25 22:01:22

WonderWoofy

Okay, I am choosing not to edit my last post so that I can be sure you will see this.

Have you tried using systemd's tools to modify and set up the uk keymap?  This would be done by using localectl.  On its own, it will simply tell you what you should have set up.  But if you append a --help to it, you can get details on how to use it.  It has the ability to set both the console keymap and X11 keymap amongst other things.

Since all else seems to have failed, maybe setting things this way will ensure that things are in the format the systemd expects them to be…

#17 2013-08-25 22:20:56

NorthAntrim

WonderWoofy wrote:

Can you set it to anything besides KEYMAP=us?  Also, it shouldn't matter, but I'm out of ideas, so have you tried quoting the values? 

The only other thing I can think of would be to ensure that the systemd-vconsole-setup.service is 'After=systemd-udev-settle.service'.  But assuming that you have implemented early KMS properly, this should have no affect on the setup.  Maybe you could try taking the 'keymap' hook out of your initramfs so that you can be absolutely sure that the keymap setup will be after the loading of i915 (since i915 will still be in the initramfs and the keymap will be loaded after early userspace).

Otherwise… I'm stumped.  Sorry.

WonderWoofy wrote:

Okay, I am choosing not to edit my last post so that I can be sure you will see this.

Have you tried using systemd's tools to modify and set up the uk keymap?  This would be done by using localectl.  On its own, it will simply tell you what you should have set up.  But if you append a --help to it, you can get details on how to use it.  It has the ability to set both the console keymap and X11 keymap amongst other things.

Since all else seems to have failed, maybe setting things this way will ensure that things are in the format the systemd expects them to be…

That was odd. Setting it to uk and rebooting didn't work, however setting it to fr and rebooting worked (via localectl). Then setting it to uk again (via localectl) and rebooting did the job.

The font still doesn't change, but I can probably live with that. Thanks for your help!

#18 2013-08-25 23:15:18

WonderWoofy

How ridiculously odd… well at least your keymap is right!  I think that is the more important aspect of the two.

Board footer