You are not logged in.

#26 2013-08-27 18:38:17

Brcher

Re: Idea to help with manual intervention updates in arch

I've found that wgetting

www.archlinux.org/feeds/news 

then parsing the dom to pluck out any "title" entries usually tells if there is something weird incoming.
I used some embarrassingly ugly python and bash to do it though, so you'll have to code something up yourself.
Then you could do something like the the joke aliases above, although I think they would have to be altered to work properly with sudo.

Last edited by Brcher (2013-08-27 18:42:06)

#27 2013-08-27 20:01:10

karol
Archivist

Brcher wrote:

I've found that wgetting

www.archlinux.org/feeds/news 

then parsing the dom to pluck out any "title" entries usually tells if there is something weird incoming.
I used some embarrassingly ugly python and bash to do it though, so you'll have to code something up yourself.
Then you could do something like the the joke aliases above, although I think they would have to be altered to work properly with sudo.

Why not use pacmatic? http://kmkeen.com/pacmatic/

#28 2013-10-29 07:38:51

PReP
Website

Even if i too think something like X-package containing information about any possible quirks and writing it to the output of pacman would be nice,
i also think Arch is meant as a Distribution where you take extra care in maintaining your system.

For instance, say you do Pacman -Syu, you look at the list of new updated packages,
and then you make a judgement of if it would be wise to just give the Arch Linux webpage a glance or two, depending on what has an update.

For instance, if i see "ThatSimpleGame" and similar items have updates, i might just go ahead.
But if there is systemd, kernel, xorg, this or that - then i can atleast take a few seconds time to see if there is anything mentioned.

. Main: Intel Core i5 6600k @ 4.4 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4 XMP, Gefore GTX 970 (Gainward Phantom) - Arch Linux 64-Bit
. Server: Intel Core i5 2500k @ 3.9 Ghz, 8 GB DDR2-XMP RAM @ 1600 Mhz, Geforce GTX 570 (Gainward Phantom) - Arch Linux 64-Bit
. Body: Estrogen @ 90%, Testestorone @ 10% (Not scientific just out-of-my-guesstimate-brain)

Board footer