You are not logged in.

#3376 2013-08-19 22:06:31

TheNeXus84

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello guys! I decided to join the Arch community because i wanted a challenge in installing the actual OS, and to gain some skills with command line. I also joined because i love the openness, freedom, and customization. Arch really lives up to its reputation for being the only OS that you can totally customize to you and i love it. It's a pleasure to be here and thanks to the mods and admins who keep this site and forum up and running. You guys have a great community here.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one considers changing themselves." --Richard Sjunnesson

#3377 2013-08-20 03:38:14

xXxhyperbolaxXx

Installed Arch Linux about a week ago on my Acer Aspire Netbook. This netbook has seen the likes of Linux Mint and Ubuntu and, in all seriousness, both Unity and Cinnamon are sluggish on their native operating systems, but are flying under Arch Linux. Linux Mint never install my video card properly under their GUI options and I would constantly get a "Your system doesn't support 3-d accelleration" when running Cinnamon. I actually enjoy playing around with Unity now that it doesn't take forever for the dash to pop up, and now I can shop on Amazon all day! (just kidding).

Since getting into Linux, I have been mostly running Debian's testing rolling release, but it's refreshing to have "Fire Fox 23" rather than "Ice Weasel 17" without the murky journey into Sid repositories. Additonally, Steam has never been faster on any of my computers under any other operating sytem--including Windows. I do enjoy Debian, but I'm defintely sticking with Arch Linux as my main operating system.

#3378 2013-08-20 22:46:49

Proinsias

Hello all,

I've been using OS X as my go to OS for about 7 years now, never really took to Windows after XP. I've played around with a few Linux/GNU distros over the years but never commited to any for more than a week or two. I've stumbled my way through a fair few linux installs and had varying levels of success but never anything that was a pleasure to use, in comparisson to OS X 10.4 which I still have a soft spot for. Then I got a Raspberry Pi last Christmas which turned out to be a nice introduction to Arch, via ArchArm, and far more fun & useful than a virtualbox. It's given me the chance to keep a pet Arch install around for months on end. Getting a small box, with a lot of connections, to play friendly with stuff I can plug into it has taught me a lot more than I got from virtual box installs.

So, I've given my daughter a lone of my 21" i5 iMac as she recovers from a broken ankle and dragged out an 8yr old budget laptop with half a gig of RAM to see if I can get a handle on the Arch way and go a little wabi sabi with the random collection of cables and computer equipment I have lying around.

I'm really impressed, and I've learned a lot. The Wiki and forum help is fantastic, thanks to all who particiapate.

I'd given up on this old laptop last year. Now it's propped up on a fan, plugged into a stereo with a keyboard, mouse & selection of usb drives. Using Awesome with luakit, ncmpcpp, mplayer, rtorrent, ranger, ristretto and a few other bits & bobs I've got a system I enjoy using & tweaking from something I was too embarassed to sell due to some dead keys, unresposive trackpad, sad sounding optical drive & general poor performance. This week it has mainly been making me smile.

#3379 2013-08-22 18:42:06

elimik31

Hi! I am a fifth semester undergraduate physics student from Germany. My experience with Linux started just about a year ago, when I installed Ubuntu on my computer with Windows 7, using a dual boot configuration. I didn't use it much though, which changed however with the beginning of the fourth semester about half a year ago, when we got a C++ programming course for physicists. Most of the PCs for physics students have openSuSe and I found out that programming is much more fun if you do it under gnu/linux. I learned the power of working with the terminal And many of the programs that I need for working in physics are also very comfortable to use under linux. Furthermore, I fell in love with emacs (recently I even started teaching myself some emacs lisp). Also, I started recognizing the value of free software.

I heard of Archlinux because I have computer scientist friends who are in the local Chaos Computer Club (CCC) and many of them use archlinux. I know that one of them is even a trusted user. When I got the old laptop of my father and had some free time, I decided to try out archlinux. After all, I was more and more discontent with ubuntu. I wanted to try out something new, something that would challenge me. I consider myself still just a linux beginner, but I wanted to learn something. I was encouraged by the awesome archlinux wiki and the great documentation (for example the beginner's guide). I am in love with good documentations. And as long as I would be able to surf the internet and to run emacs, I would be happy. And that's how it started.

I still have everything but an ideal configuration on my laptop. There are still problems. For example, suspend doesn't work on this laptop, it doesn't awake from it (I had the same issue with ubuntu on this laptop before). But I am happy with it, because I feel like it is MY laptop, how I decided it should be and not how anybody else did for me, just what I need. Btw, at the moment I use xfce4 a my DM. My desktop still runs on Ubuntu. However, if I have the time, I will change the distro there as well. However, to be honest, my desktop is less for experimenting and more for getting work done and for use as media center and for gaming. That's why I am still not sure whether I should really switch to arch or to keep and simple and switch to debian.

I am also quite fond if roguelikes. The ones I have played so far are TOME, ADOM, Brogue, DoomRL, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup and recently I fell in love with "Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead". It is available in the AUR under "cataclysm-git". It is still in early development, the source code is available on github. However, I haven't yet managed to get it to run under arch, there were some problems. I won't specifiy them now, I haven't invested a lot of time in it yet.

I love archlinux and I love how dedicated the community is, even though it's small compared to the large distros. That's why I thought I should contribute, too, in some way. I am not enough of a programmer to contribute packages, but maybe I can do something in the forums or help working on the wiki smile

#3380 2013-08-24 14:36:41

Thijxx
Banned

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, probably will have a ton of questions in the future. I use Arch on my Raspberry Pi and if I like it maybe on some other machines in the future as well.
My first impression of Arch is that it's great in it's lovely minimalistic way, I also like that there is a big community! And when I noticed there is no APT but there is PACMAN!! hahah, it gave me the lols.

On the other side; I must admit THE question on the registration page made me doubt to use Arch, it's kind of the holy grill of user unfriendliness to challenge new guys who seek help with something technicality they seek help about! Really the most sadistic registration form I've ever encountered.

Cheers!

Thijs

#3381 2013-08-25 11:05:40

statki_pomyj

Hi,

I'm a Debian refugee and have been using Arch for two days now. Hopefully it can cure my distro-hopping disease.

Regards,
Greg

#3382 2013-08-25 12:43:33

drcouzelis
Website

statki_pomyj wrote:

I'm a Debian refugee and have been using Arch for two days now. Hopefully it can cure my distro-hopping disease.

"Arch Linux: Good for what ails ya" big_smile

#3383 2013-08-25 13:35:51

WonderWoofy

statki_pomyj wrote:

It cured me to the point where I actually tried to start distro-hopping again, but quickly found that I was just far too spoiled with awesomeness here.

#3384 2013-08-26 11:15:06

localhostabc

Hello :-)

Last edited by localhostabc (2013-08-26 11:16:02)

#3385 2013-08-26 17:56:56

TheTapsa

Hello.

I've been meaning to do this a long time, but it took me months to finally get to it.
I use linux practically every day, mostly debians, but I started with gentoo (Yeah, talk about learning curve.), and have recently started moving towards arch mostly because of RasPi and my server/virtualization experiment.

#3386 2013-08-27 12:30:42

christov84

Hey Everyone

A mate of mine got me onto Arch and gotta say the wiki is great! One thing however the Multiboot sections are a bit confusing particulary around the Grub/Uefi sections and how multiple articles tackle the multiboot problem but slightly differently.

day to day I use debian for my file server and planning to make my terminals/desktops Arch. Love the lightweightedness of Arch.

Chris

Last edited by christov84 (2013-08-27 13:21:05)

#3387 2013-08-27 18:40:51

dgz

I've been using CrunchBang and Debian with Openbox (also briefly Gnome3 and Awesome) for the past two years and needed to scratch that itch for something more raw. I'm using Arch with echinus wm now and running a low key system is hundreds of times easier and more streamlined. I especially like how easy it is to get obscure packages running, whereas with Debian a lot of things would be off limits.

#3388 2013-08-27 21:03:47

wesleyac

Hello!

I'm a high school student.  I've been intrested in FOSS and programming since I got the first computer of my own recently (i.e. not one that I shared.)  I quickly installed ubuntu, liked it more than windows, but not a lot more, distro hopped a bit, and ended up at debian for a while, until the "free software" the point of unuseibility drove me insane (wifi drivers, I'm lookng at you.)

I tried Arch at one of my friend's recomendations, and have been pleased with it's customizability.

Currently this is my setup:

Distro: Arch (Dual booting with WinXP, but I never boot into it.)
WM: Awesome
DE: wait, why would I need a DE? tongue

#3389 2013-08-27 23:18:11

Matto80

Hello everyone!
I'm Matt. Brand new to Arch and pretty new to NIX-y type stuffs in general tho lovin it!
I've installed Arch on a mid 2009 Macbook Pro 5,5 tho I'm not quite there yet - struggling with network connections - even eth0!
Anyway I found my way here via Crunchbang and have been having a lot of fun learning linux.
I will probably ask some questions and if I can help anybody too I would be very willing.

talk to you soon wiki

#3390 2013-08-28 14:09:14

christov84

wesleyac wrote:

Hello!

I'm a high school student.  I've been intrested in FOSS and programming since I got the first computer of my own recently (i.e. not one that I shared.)  I quickly installed ubuntu, liked it more than windows, but not a lot more, distro hopped a bit, and ended up at debian for a while, until the "free software" the point of unuseibility drove me insane (wifi drivers, I'm lookng at you.)

I tried Arch at one of my friend's recomendations, and have been pleased with it's customizability.

Currently this is my setup:

Distro: Arch (Dual booting with WinXP, but I never boot into it.)
WM: Awesome
DE: wait, why would I need a DE? tongue

Hey man! good to see High Schoolers learning things apart from .NET and C#.

Chris

#3391 2013-08-29 00:33:23

wesleyac

christov84 wrote:

Hey man! good to see High Schoolers learning things apart from .NET and C#.

It's funny, because the only things I learned in the 2 computer classes the my high school offers were PBASIC, QBASIC, and a strange C variant called Ch.

Here's the list of stuff I learned on my own, just from expeirimenting with linux:

Java
C
Got better at Lua, but I already knew some beforehand
How to use ViM
How so setup a linux as a high performance server (Thanks, Raspberry Pi big_smile )
etc.

.NET and C# would be refreshing compared to what classed are offered at my school tongue

#3392 2013-08-29 03:04:54

ashnbclarke

Awesome Wiki's ...

Last edited by ashnbclarke (2013-09-05 11:46:51)

#3393 2013-08-30 07:19:21

ihermit
Website

ok, that was a learning experience!!

I got x11, xfce4 and a working net connection, no web browser just yet. I'll probable go with seamonkey. Then on to LAMP and a good editor...like geany. That's it! No more going through a four hour update just to find out I get to go back and do it again.

My History:
1st- SuSE 6 back in 2000 or so. (I really thought I was the snat. Gave up smoking Windows around that time. Really bad for your health.)
2nd- RH 8.9 like 2003 or something (I was strutin like a peacock)
3rd- SUSE 9 around 2003-2004. Stuck w/ SuSE until v12.1 (That distro really went down hill. Close to unusable.)
4th- Just about anything and everything. Even a little FreeBSD.
5th- Slackware 13.37 through 14.0. (I'll never say anything bad about Slackware. Heck of a system.)
6th- Um? What's the name of this site again?

and Linux still makes me feel like a newbie everyday!

This distro is pretty tight from what I've seen so far. Two thumbs up!

JohnP

#3394 2013-08-30 17:13:16

TIMVAK

Hi,

My name is Tim,

I've been floating around on win (barf),osx and ubuntu, but they never satisfied me... so now is time for a real distro and it's Arch wink
Been doing some research lately and on every inquiry Arch pop't up.

Looking forward on learning a whole lot about Arch linux in the coming time big_smile

and dev's and contributors thanks for all your hard work!!!

#3395 2013-08-31 17:04:41

techy121592

Hey fellow newbie archers,
I am new to Arch Linux. I have had it installed on my computer for a week or so, but it is by far my favorite Linux systems yet. I found Gentoo way too tedious to set up, while this was a lot easier to set up. Lately I have been playing with PlayOnLinux because I accidently formatted my windows harddrive, normally I remember to disconnect it when I install a new Linux so that this one happen. lol. I found that I can get really close to my Windows(I know I shouldn't say that name) performance for League of Legends and GW2(the only 2 reasons I have reluctant to leave that hell hole,) by using cpupower and setting it to performance mode. This allows you to use 100% of the CPU instead of the default 95% that ondemand gives you.
I am also a fellow developer and I plan to attempt to develop for Linux, so I would like to say hi to the other developers and warn you that I will probably be asking for help. I have successfully dabbled in it starting 2 or 3 years ago, I have been playing with Linux just as an OS for longer but couldn't find the right Linux. I think I have now.
Well I will see you around on the boards,
Techy

#3396 2013-09-01 06:43:55

ParanoidSP

Hi!
I'm Karthikeya , a third year undergrad from Chennai, India.
I've been using various linux distros since a couple of years, and found my way to Arch.
I'm passionate about shell scripting, obsessive configuration and redundant backups.

Last edited by ParanoidSP (2013-09-01 06:44:25)

#3397 2013-09-01 07:32:13

Bbit

Hi ppl

I'm new to Arch and a newb to linux, I've tried a few other distros but I'm to indecisive <<distrohopper....anyway even though I'm new-ish to linux i thought i would just throw myself into arch lol.

yeh i'm a newb, so how hard is gentoo?

#3398 2013-09-01 07:35:26

defcon

Welcome wink

Registed Linux User 608596

#3399 2013-09-01 07:49:52

Bbit

defcon wrote:

Welcome wink

thanks big_smile

yeh i'm a newb, so how hard is gentoo?

#3400 2013-09-01 18:59:43

aaditya

Hi, I am Aaditya.

I am using Manjaro, an arch based distro, for about 2 months now.
Would like to express my appreciation for the Arch Wiki, simply outstanding! smile
And to the Arch Way, things really work here without too much fuss unlike Debian with which I currently dual boot.
Was a distrohopper for a while, but now I have settled down to using only two distros- Arch and Debian.
Thanks to the devs and community for making a superb Distro and Wiki!
Will stick around and try to contribute smile

Board footer