You are not logged in.

#551 2013-08-31 01:34:48

redDEADresolve

Re: infinality-bundle: good looking fonts made (even) easier

redDEADresolve wrote:

I keep getting this error

error: failed retrieving file 'infinality-bundle.db' from ibn.net6I 3.net : Connection timed out after 10001 milliseconds
error: failed to update infinality-bundle (download library error)

what am I doing wrong? My desktop is working great.

Days later and I still cannot connect and update.

Any ideas on what I can do?

#552 2013-08-31 01:40:23

WonderWoofy

Download from dropbox like is mentioned several times by bohoomil in this thread?

#553 2013-09-01 12:20:00

lunarjar

bohoomil What about using Windows 8.1 fonts? Changes here http://www.istartedsomething.com/201306 … -standard/

Iso here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind … d?ref=msdn

Also why did you say we don't need to convert cambria ttc to ttf?

P.S Thanks for this amazing package! wink

Last edited by lunarjar (2013-09-01 14:32:14)

#554 2013-09-01 16:01:53

bohoomil
Website

1. Use them if you wish: the experience is truly awesome.
2. It seems to be a redundant step: TTC files should work for you just like multiple TTFs. Did you experience any problems with TTCs?
3. You are most welcome. smile

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#555 2013-09-01 18:19:28

donniezazen
Website

truly awesome Did they add new fonts to 8.1 or just better rendering. Any particular font worth going through hassle of extracting fonts off a 4GB file?

#556 2013-09-01 18:24:04

lunarjar

A small bug I noticed, in google+ hangouts the font is wobbling. Any ideas to why?

#557 2013-09-01 18:56:39

bohoomil
Website

@donniezazen: That's mostly about improved rendering and a myriad of details that make some of the Win 8.1 fonts look cleaner to me. However, if you are content with what you have and haven't noticed anything critical, the upgrade may not be what you really need.

@lunarjar: Unfortunately, I don't use Google+. I tested it some time ago and realized that the default family used was Roboto. It indeed didn't look as nice as Droid Sans. However, replacing Roboto with Droid appeared to be problematic since the former was used in WOFF format, so after experimenting with it I eventually decided to leave it for a while. The good news is that freetype2 will soon come with native WOFF support which, I believe, should resolve a few issues.

If you don't mind, please create a screenshot demonstrating the problem and submit a link to it just in case someone is going to offer a working solution.

#558 2013-09-01 19:38:44

lunarjar

I made a video  with the wobbly text problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGaDh_J7lqw

#559 2013-09-01 21:26:59

bohoomil
Website

Did you try using the stock fontconfig/freetype2/cairo? If so, did you observe a similar behaviour? It may as well be an issue with the video driver, mesa or cairo stuff, IMHO.

#560 2013-09-01 22:31:03

lunarjar

I just removed you patches and the wobbling stopped, so probably not a video driver problem(I'm on intel hd3000).

Tried ubuntu font patches also no wobble.

Last edited by lunarjar (2013-09-01 22:44:00)

#561 2013-09-01 22:49:01

Ledti
Website

lunarjar wrote:

I just removed you patches and the wobbling stopped, so probably not a video driver problem(I'm on intel hd3000).

Tried ubuntu font patches also no wobble.

I actually meant to report this awhile ago. I think it's one of the infinality options which aligns the letters, and it's happening because some effect is being added to the text. Hovering, glowing, etc. But it only happens at certain font sizes as far as I can tell. For example, the 'r' moves back and then forth every time I hover over hyperlinks at http://jekyllrb.com/

Last edited by Ledti (2013-09-01 22:49:34)

#562 2013-09-01 23:48:28

lunarjar

jekyllrb.com moving letter "r" confirmed.

Another thing I noticed:
It moves in google-chrome-dev, but doesn't move in firefox.

Yet another update:
If you turn off hardware acceleration(last option in chrome settings) it doesn't wobble.

Last edited by lunarjar (2013-09-02 00:03:29)

#563 2013-09-02 00:51:00

bohoomil
Website

Thanks for explaining the thing further. I use HD4000 with sna and haven't observed anything like that. What did happen at times had it roots in webkit bugs (my main browser is dwb); Firefox has never let me notice anything you have mentioned (I always turn off hardware acceleration in browsers, though). Chromium is known not to honor fontconfig settings properly; however, this shouldn't have much to do with infinality patches. Anyway, I think you may experiment with infinality settings and see if tweaking particular values change anything. I'm not sure about this but it's always worth checking out.

#564 2013-09-02 01:46:56

tedbell

A fontconfig update messed me fonts up a little today. The fonts appear with less anti-aliasing and the letters are spaced together too close. Same thing happens every update. I added the repos and installed the pre-configured infinality-bundle packages but the problem persists.

#565 2013-09-02 01:59:48

WonderWoofy

Interestingly, my fonts continue to look better and better.  Though I have what sounds like similar HW to what bohoomil runs (Intel HD4000), so maybe that has something to do with the consistency I enjoy.

So I havne't said this in a while, so I think it is due: Thanks again for these amazing configurations/packages bohoomil!

#566 2013-09-02 03:07:25

Crozepp

I want to thank you sincerely too bohoomil!

I'm a KDE user and everything looks beautiful and consistent, even Firefox fonts looks great and well integrated with Qt. In Firefox I'm using Arimo for sans-serif, Cousine for mono and Tino for Serif and forcing the sites to use them. Amazing.

For the desktop ubuntu light 9  (ubuntu font family looks gorgeous) and cousine for terminal.

I think this work should be the default on every distro and DE. Kudos!

#567 2013-09-02 09:23:06

Ledti
Website

I was able to remove the wobbling by changing the following:

export INFINALITY_FT_STEM_ALIGNMENT_STRENGTH="0"
export INFINALITY_FT_STEM_FITTING_STRENGTH="0"

Seemed to do it, but then I did...

export INFINALITY_FT_STEM_SNAPPING_SLIDING_SCALE="0"

... for good measure. I haven't really noticed any difference in quality for the fonts... but then again I'm tired, so maybe I'm just not seeing it.

#568 2013-09-02 09:36:45

lunarjar

bohoomil is gtkrc2 and gtkrc3 require modification? (I'm using i3-wm). Could you please share those two files?

Ledti which file did you modify?

#569 2013-09-02 09:52:27

bohoomil
Website

@lunarjar: the file is /etc/profile.d/infinality-settings.sh. I am going to test Ledti's suggestion myself to see how it works for me (after 10 minutes or so things look fine). More testing is welcome, of course. smile

I don't modify Gtk+ settings after font lib updates. Here's what I've been using:

$ cat ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini

[Settings]
gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme = false
gtk-theme-name = FaienceMod
gtk-icon-theme-name = lubuntu
gtk-fallback-icon-theme = elementary
gtk-font-name = Lucida Grande 8
gtk-cursor-theme-name = Neutral++
gtk-cursor-theme-size = 0
gtk-toolbar-style = GTK_TOOLBAR_ICONS
gtk-icon-sizes = panel-menu=16,16:panel=16,16:gtk-menu=16,16:gtk-large-toolbar=16,16:gtk-small-toolbar=16,16:gtk-button=16,16
gtk-button-images = 1
gtk-menu-images = 1
gtk-enable-event-sounds = 0
gtk-enable-input-feedback-sounds = 0
gtk-xft-antialias = 1
gtk-xft-hinting = 1
gtk-xft-hintstyle = hintfull
gtk-xft-rgba = (null)
$ cat ~/.gtkrc-2.0

gtk-font-name = "Lucida Grande Regular 8"
gtk-theme-name = "MurrinaTangoDayMod"
gtk-icon-theme-name = "lubuntu"
gtk-fallback-icon-theme = "elementary"
gtk-icon-sizes = "panel-menu=16,16:panel=16,16:gtk-button=22,22:gtk-large-toolbar=22,22"
gtk-cursor-theme-name = "Neutral++"
gtk-cursor-theme-size = 32
gtk-toolbar-style = GTK_TOOLBAR_ICONS
gtk-toolbar-icon-size = GTK_ICON_SIZE_SMALL_TOOLBAR
gtk-button-images = 1
gtk-menu-images = 1
$ cat ~/.config/x-defaults/Xresources

Xft.antialias:  1
Xft.autohint:   0
Xft.dpi:        96
Xft.hinting:    1
Xft.hintstyle:  hintslight
Xft.lcdfilter:  lcddefault
Xft.rgba:       rgb

Edit: You may also try changing this:

export INFINALITY_FT_FRINGE_FILTER_STRENGTH="70"

in order to increase sharpness a bit.

Last edited by bohoomil (2013-09-02 10:04:36)

#570 2013-09-02 10:18:18

lunarjar

Why do you have different settings in Xresources and gtk-3.0? hintslight vs hintfull, rgba(null)

Concerning wobbly letters:

After changing to this

The "r" on jekyllrb website stopped moving, but google+ hangout still wobbly.

Fixed the wobble.

Sadly I find that the quality overall degraded, so I'm going back to defaults with HW acceleration turned off.

Thanks bohoomil and Ledti

Last edited by lunarjar (2013-09-02 10:58:40)

#571 2013-09-02 12:05:39

bohoomil
Website

lunarjar wrote:

Why do you have different settings in Xresources and gtk-3.0? hintslight vs hintfull, rgba(null)

Switching to hintslight had a totally different optical effect in Gtk+ v.3 and Gtk+ v.2. It's bizarre, I know, but for some reason both toolkits required different treatment to look (almost) the same.

Anyway, thank you for testing and contributing your time. smile

#572 2013-09-02 21:54:03

Ledti
Website

Now that I'm awake...

I've uploaded a file here which contains two screenshots. If you use an image viewer like sxiv in fullscreen-mode (f key) with the bar turned off (b key), and you hit space/backspace, you can really notice the differences between the two. Without 'stem' the fonts seem more uniform and I prefer it that way, but I can understand someone liking the current default better.

For clarification, the comparison is between (1_no_stem.png):

And the current default in the infinality-bundle (2_with_stem.png):

export INFINALITY_FT_STEM_ALIGNMENT_STRENGTH="100"
export INFINALITY_FT_STEM_FITTING_STRENGTH="100"
export INFINALITY_FT_STEM_SNAPPING_SLIDING_SCALE="100"

The font used in the screenshots is Source Sans Pro.

#573 2013-09-02 23:22:59

WonderWoofy

Despite the fact that I am not experiencing these problems, I have decided to give this a go to see how it affects those of us who might still be enjoying great fonts.  I have to say, that I actually think that from a few minutes of web browsing and a bit of terminal work (termite-git), I think that things might actually look slightly better.  They certainly don't look any worse…

If this helps others solve an issue, I would put my vote in for having this change included in the default infinality-settings.sh.

#574 2013-09-03 05:42:35

bohoomil
Website

There is a little side effect: fonts become fuzzier and lose clarity (Arial is my default sans face). Besides, the FT_STEM parameter is meant to control the way 'S' and 'Z' are displayed: now that it is turned off, 'S' looks 'bolder' in the middle, which is not exactly what I want it to look like. As I said, I'm going to test the proposed settings and see how they can be fine tuned to preserve the original appearance. The first thing Ledti can test is setting lower values for the three variables instead of going immediately down to zero. Find the threshold at which the issue is gone (start with multiples of twenty, and then gradually narrow down the range until you get visually what you want). Since I can't reproduce the problem, I would really appreciate your assistance in this point. smile

If there is no way finding the golden mean--which I doubt--we can simply put a note in the Wiki explaining how the issue can be resolved. That's what customization is for, after all. wink

#575 2013-09-03 06:51:37

Ledti
Website

bohoomil wrote:

There is a little side effect: fonts become fuzzier and lose clarity (Arial is my default sans face). Besides, the FT_STEM parameter is meant to control the way 'S' and 'Z' are displayed: now that it is turned off, 'S' looks 'bolder' in the middle, which is not exactly what I want it to look like. As I said, I'm going to test the proposed settings and see how they can be fine tuned to preserve the original appearance. The first thing Ledti can test is setting lower values for the three variables instead of going immediately down to zero. Find the threshold at which the issue is gone (start with multiples of twenty, and then gradually narrow down the range until you get visually what you want). Since I can't reproduce the problem, I would really appreciate your assistance in this point. smile

If there is no way finding the golden mean--which I doubt--we can simply put a note in the Wiki explaining how the issue can be resolved. That's what customization is for, after all. wink

Oh, the default should probably be left as it currently is. I just wanted to present the differences in an easy to see way as you mentioned before that you couldn't really tell what changed either. If I set:

export INFINALITY_FT_STEM_ALIGNMENT_STRENGTH="10"
export INFINALITY_FT_STEM_FITTING_STRENGTH="10"
export INFINALITY_FT_AUTOHINT_SNAP_STEM_HEIGHT="0"

... I personally don't notice any wobble/stretching effects anymore.

I'll do some more testing to see if I can narrow down when/where/why it happens.

Edit: Okay, it definitely only happens in Chromium. I tested a few other browsers (firefox, midori) and didn't notice any stretching/wobbling. It can be fairly random at times, and disabling hardware acceleration in Chromium doesn't entirely remove the problem if you know where to look. Since this is a case of one specific application behaving badly, I would recommend that the current defaults remain. Like you suggested, a note on the wiki page would probably be best.

Edit2: I actually did start to notice some shuffling and I edited the minimum *STEM* settings in the this post to reflect the needed changes. AUTOHINT_SNAP_STEM_HEIGHT has to be set to 0. Though at this point I'm not confident in saying that it still won't happen. In my opinion, the recommendation on the wiki page for Chromium users if they notice any wobbling/shuffling/stretching of letters, should be to set all three *STEM* options to "0".

Last edited by Ledti (2013-09-03 07:46:16)

Board footer