You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-17 12:10:27

mindbound

External audio set detection issues on Alienware M17x R4

I can't seem to get working the automatic detection of headphones or external speakers being plugged in (i.e. sound output doesn't switch to headphones and remains on the built-in speakers) on my M17x R4 laptop (Arch Linux x64, kernel v3.8.7-1 at the time of writing this). As far as I understand, the problem might be with incorrect parameters being passed to snd_hda_intel (mine are options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=alienware) but I can't seem to find any answers as to what the correct ones may be and perhaps I'm thinking in the wrong direction to begin with. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. hints, or tips.

#2 2013-05-22 19:55:03

johni

Re: External audio set detection issues on Alienware M17x R4

Try the latest 3.9.3-1-ARCH kernel.  A lot if improvements were added to the hda-intel driver in 3.9, and it does a much better job of autodetecting the models.   I have an M17xR3, and it is working great (though I did have to go in alsamixer and turn up the volume from 0 on headphone and speaker mixers).
I was able to remove all module parameters after the 3.9 update, and both headphone jacks work properly now, muting the speaker when plugged in.

If you don't want to go to 3.9 yet, previously I had these module parameters working in the M17xR3 (for rear headphone jack only):

options snd-hda-intel model=dell-eq

Hopefully either 3.9 or this option will help.

#3 2013-05-23 09:12:26

Cthulhu82

I have a M17xR4 too and the same problem with kernel 3.9 (I tested the 3.9.3, and the problem is still here).
First, I discovered that the headphones were muted in alsa, as Johni said. I unmuted them with alsa mixer and then they worked again. But now I'm facing another problem : the sound plays by both the headphones and my HDMI screen (which have speakers).

I don't know which one of pulseaudio or alsa mixed up the two, and lack time to make tests this week. I will dig in it this week-end, and try the snd-hda-intel option you're suggesting.
If anyone find a solution before, I will be most happy big_smile.

Last edited by Cthulhu82 (2013-05-23 09:12:44)

« En essayant continuellement, on finit par réussir.
Donc plus ça rate, plus ça a de chance de marcher. »
Devise Shadock

#4 2013-05-31 22:05:05

ydrolake

Subscribing to this thread. I've the same laptop(r4) and the same problem with other distros. I haven't yet had the time to test it with Arch. I will post here if I can make it work. Please do the same if you find a solution. Cheers.

#5 2013-08-20 06:19:30

sudoExistence

I am having this exact same problem with my M17x R4 and haven't been able to find a solution. Regardless of model set the card will not show headphones in the mixer. However, if I plug in headphones, in the gnome sound settings the output switches to headphones, yet all sound still comes out of the speakers. I've researched for days trying to find a solution, heck, even on the ALSA page in the latest changelog they state improved compatibility with CA0132 in the latest update but I still get no headphone jack sound. Hopefully someone comes up with a fix.

My alsa-info is here: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=e50e1 … 37d178d801

#6 2013-08-23 17:39:54

robbiedobbie

I have the same laptop, but I do have the middle audio plug working. The trick is going into the alsamixer, showing all controls. Then unmute the HP/Speaker and HP/Speaker Auto Detect entries. I do have the problem that when I plug in the headset, the audio is switched to headset in pulseaudio, but if I switch it back to speakers manually, my sound works through the headset.

Hopefully this helps you guys

#7 2013-08-23 20:36:31

sudoExistence

What's interesting is until an update a few days ago the HP/Speaker and HP/Speaker Auto Detect entries simply weren't present in my alsa mixer. After I activated them the middle jack was working fine for a time, but now I am having the problem that the middle jack works, but is very quiet and sound coming from it is very tinny and terrible sounding. I've tried several modifications to pulseaudio and alsa config files, but to no avail. So I reverted them all. If you also had tinny sound at any point and fixed it, let us know please.

#8 2013-08-24 08:13:09

robbiedobbie

Hmm, those entries were in alsa 1,5 months ago on my laptop. About the quit and terrible sounding sound. I do recall having those problems, however I'm not completely sure how I solved them. First of all check your mixers in pulseaudio (You were using pulseaudio right? Atleast, this is default in gnome...). Also, please check that gnome did not switch the audio to headset (you can see this in pavucontrol). If it did, switch it back to speakers, since the soundcard makes the switch, not pulseaudio. Pulseaudio switches to the Speaker Channel, which is not meant for audio output.

Last edited by robbiedobbie (2013-08-24 08:59:34)

#9 2013-08-28 23:40:23

sudoExistence

robbiedobbie wrote:

Hmm, those entries were in alsa 1,5 months ago on my laptop. About the quit and terrible sounding sound. I do recall having those problems, however I'm not completely sure how I solved them. First of all check your mixers in pulseaudio (You were using pulseaudio right? At least, this is default in gnome...). Also, please check that gnome did not switch the audio to headset (you can see this in pavucontrol). If it did, switch it back to speakers, since the soundcard makes the switch, not pulseaudio. Pulseaudio switches to the Speaker Channel, which is not meant for audio output.

If by check the mixers in pulse audio you mean check pavucontrol and alsamixer, the mixers are set properly, and in pavucontrol under the output devices tab the built in audio analog stereo is set to headphones, but even if I set it to speakers the audio is still very quiet and barely audible at 100%. Do I need to mess with the configuration tab?

#10 2013-09-04 04:55:36

robbiedobbie

Hmm, I never had to do that.

Actually, I reinstalled my laptop last week. The only thing I had to do, was install arch base, install alsa, install xfce, install pulse-audio, unmute speaker switches in alsa. Everything just works (with middle plug), so I really don't understand how I can have it that way, while you are having problems... Do you have some other specific audio packages which could interfere?

#11 2013-09-04 08:08:37

sudoExistence

Actually, with the latest upgrade I performed yesterday the sound was fixed. I'm going to assume it was a kernel thing, as there was a kernel update to 3.10.10-1 in there, and I'm pretty sure it was initially working with 3.10.8 (May have been 3.10.7, I don't really remember).

It's nice to be able to hear things from the headphone jack now smile

Last edited by sudoExistence (2013-09-04 08:09:02)

Board footer