You are not logged in.

#1 2004-01-28 19:11:17

beniro

Question: When will the 2.6 kernel become the Arch default?

When will the 2.6 kernel become the Arch default?  I understand it won't be default for Arch 0.6?  Or for 0.6 will there be an option for the 2.4 and the 2.6 kernels?  OR will we wait till 0.7?

What's the plan?

#2 2004-01-28 19:54:46

sarah31
Website

Re: Question: When will the 2.6 kernel become the Arch default?

when i last heard you would have the option in 0.6 but ithink defualt will still be 2.4.xx

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-01-29 09:30:06

torindan

And how long do we have to wait until 0.6 is oficially released?

I mean full set of ISOs including Extra?

#4 2004-01-29 16:03:05

sarah31
Website

there is already a 2.6.1 kernel package in the current repository. it may not be the default kernel because it does have some device support issues and as such would eliminate too many potential users. the plan was to offer the choice (this may have changed as i never talk to developers).

extra and unstable will never be put  on an iso. arch tries to be a single install cd which contains all that you need to get "basic" things set up. once one has their network connection wiorking then they can customize as much as they want.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2004-01-29 19:28:49

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Close Sarah.  It's true that 2.6 won't be forced on anyone for quite some time.  But extra will be a seperate, package-only cd set.  Just for people who don't have a lot of bandwidth... but... a lot of money...?  This was decided because kde and gnome were moved to extra and we figured people would complain a lot.  That cd set will likely be out the same time as 0.6.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#6 2004-01-29 21:19:06

sarah31
Website

Xentac wrote:

But extra will be a seperate, package-only cd set.

makes sense to me but will there be the capability to install packages from this disc at the same time as one would install. if not i could see how having the DE's on this disc and maybe a few of the larger packages but with the speed that new versions are released of some of the extra stuff and the size it may not be all that advantageous.  or will this disc be frequently upgraded?

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#7 2004-01-29 21:26:15

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Any installing off the extra cd will be by hand.

I don't know how often it will be released, most likely as often as we do releases.  It might change though.  Thing is, if you're buying a cd that's not full, you're just wasting space wink  If they're downloading an iso that has only a few packages on it, why not just download the packages over the internet?  Am I making any sense?  I do agree that once you make a cd it's already obsolete, but that's what people ask for.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#8 2004-01-30 05:13:04

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Xentac wrote:

Any installing off the extra cd will be by hand.

I suggest to add the /arch/setup script from the CD installer. When the packages are divided in categories, its easier to know what are available and faster to install in one go. It may not be used for a second round when not knowing what are already installed (if its not modified to detect existing packages) but still it will be helpful.

PS.
What if we modify the setup script similar to pcm?
http://amlug.net/new-projects/al-pcm/pcm.exp.html

Markku

Board footer