You are not logged in.

#1326 2013-08-31 18:50:01

F34R

Re: monsterwm! ~ yet another tiny wm

Some way , already happend than before say. Only show the dowload speed .

Downloading

ERdaAaUyXU03

Idle

m9gmww6XHxvm

I tested in dwm , remaing time showed correctly btw the torrent name doesn't. (transmission-cli and transmission-remote-cli the interface , and started via transmission-daemon in xinitrc. Yeah I know other way systemd but config file not loaded my own just downloading files into /var/lib/transmission )

Last edited by F34R (2013-08-31 18:53:19)

#1327 2013-09-02 11:05:40

c00kiemon5ter
Website

The code you showed gets the download speed of all torrents as a sum and prints that.

To get the torrent name(s) you'd need more that what you had there,
and then there are questions like:
"do you want to display all torrents (there might be more that one) ?"
"what should the display/list format be ?"
etc

without more info I don't know how to help you ..

.:[ git me! ] :.

#1328 2013-09-02 12:56:11

fabledpig

Hi guys!

My problem is not being able to play TF 2 (or other source engine based games) with native steam client in fullscreen mode. The game launches in 640x480 resolution. I know I can play it with -windowed option, but it's not a solution, I think. The games work great in AwesomeWM, but I love using monsterwm smile

#1329 2013-09-03 08:57:03

bloom
Website

F34R wrote:
dmenu_run -f -i -l 12 -p 'lolicomplex' -nb #101010 -sb #7D3022 -sf #808080 -fn 'terminus2'

btw i run dmenu.sh say

usage: dmenu [-b] [-f] [-i] [-g] [-l lines] [-p prompt] [-fn font]         
             [-nb color] [-nf color] [-sb color] [-sf color] [-si index] [-is size] [-v]

The above command is equivalent to:

dmenu_run -f -i -l 12 -p 'lolicomplex' -nb 

gh · da · ds

#1330 2013-09-03 15:25:57

F34R

c00kiemon5ter wrote:

The code you showed gets the download speed of all torrents as a sum and prints that.

To get the torrent name(s) you'd need more that what you had there,
and then there are questions like:
"do you want to display all torrents (there might be more that one) ?"
"what should the display/list format be ?"
etc

without more info I don't know how to help you ..

I want on display only one torrent running. transmission-remote -l contain the remaning time and torrent name , and i don't know the switch what is show both.

#1331 2013-09-06 19:32:43

Unia
Website

Hey C00kie,

For my own window manager (which is, as you probably know, based on MonsterWM) I'm looking into having a client on multiple desktops. A search showed up that you have once looked into this and I was wondering if you still have this code around somewhere? AFAIK it's going to take some pretty deep changes so if you still have something laying around it will make it easier for me wink

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#1332 2013-09-06 22:05:30

kuraku

@cookie
Any news on monsterwm development? Will there be any updates from now on and, if not, can we count on you to fix any new bugs that might be found in monsterwm?

Thank you in advance smile

#1333 2013-09-07 00:43:14

c00kiemon5ter
Website

F34R wrote:

want on display only one torrent running. transmission-remote -l contain the remaning time and torrent name , and i don't know the switch what is show both.

change the torrent status part from the previous post to:

# torrent status
torrent_status="$(transmission-remote -l | awk '$2!="100%"&&$5~/^[[:digit:]]+$/{t=$5" "$6;s=$(11);for(i=12; i<=NF; ++i)s=s" "$i;exit}END{if(s)print t" :: "s}')"
[ -z "$torrent_status" ] && torrent_status="Idle"
Unia wrote:

For my own window manager (which is, as you probably know, based on MonsterWM) I'm looking into having a client on multiple desktops. A search showed up that you have once looked into this and I was wondering if you still have this code around somewhere? AFAIK it's going to take some pretty deep changes so if you still have something laying around it will make it easier for me wink

I don't, but I think I remember the pieces. What you want to do is duplicate a client and have it on each desktop's window list that you want it to be shown.
From the top of my head, what changes:
1. when removing a client or when a client is killed, you need to check every desktop if it contains that client and remove it from that dekstop's list.
2. when moving a client to another desktop, you must check if the new desktop already has a duplicate of that client, to avoid having the same client twice on the same desktop ..
3. urgent hints and such notifications might be shown in every desktop
4. fullscreen state; one desktop might have the client as fullscreen, the other not ..

wintoclient() function - one the most used ones - would most probably change or should be replaced by a new but similar one, on certain places

kuraku wrote:

@cookie
Any news on monsterwm development? Will there be any updates from now on and, if not, can we count on you to fix any new bugs that might be found in monsterwm?

hey kuraky wink Things are quite for now; I do keep using monsterwm and will keep fixing bugs found, as time allows.
I still haven't backported the nmaster changes from my experiments with the new wm I was working on, and I really should.
These changes would make the stack() function a lot simpler and more logical to follow and fix nmaster's master's area "double" borders.
Other than that, I think some more atoms need to be supported to have Java-based apps work correctly. I would need to recheck what
happens with wmname LG3D and setting _JAVA_AWT_WM_NONREPARENTING with both jdk/jre-6 and (open)jdk/jre-7
Some more info about java, here: https://github.com/baskerville/bspwm/issues/28
This might get things like games through steam to also behave correctly.

#1334 2013-09-07 13:35:09

F34R

@c00kiemon5ter

Million thanks for you , work as well pretty good. wink

#1335 2013-09-07 17:02:15

Unia
Website

c00kiemon5ter wrote:

I don't, but I think I remember the pieces. What you want to do is duplicate a client and have it on each desktop's window list that you want it to be shown.
1. when removing a client or when a client is killed, you need to check every desktop if it contains that client and remove it from that dekstop's list.
2. when moving a client to another desktop, you must check if the new desktop already has a duplicate of that client, to avoid having the same client twice on the same desktop ..
4. fullscreen state; one desktop might have the client as fullscreen, the other not ..

wintoclient() function - one the most used ones - would most probably change or should be replaced by a new but similar one, on certain places

Thanks. Why did it never make it to MonsterWM?

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#1336 2013-09-08 07:47:37

xTouchMe

@F34R
Have you ever made japanese glyphs display on bar?
I believe I have the same problem (along with bar not updating if a window title has undisplayable glyph like japanese characters), and I would like to know if you have resolved this? smile

#1337 2013-09-08 10:45:21

F34R

xTouchMe wrote:

@F34R
Have you ever made japanese glyphs display on bar?
I believe I have the same problem (along with bar not updating if a window title has undisplayable glyph like japanese characters), and I would like to know if you have resolved this? smile

My problem not solved yet , but not necessary needed.

this glyph in terminal with terminus font

fzRaLYX.png

here is the bar notify

61p3CeZ.png

By way not answerd my question more than two font in lemonboy bar developed ?

#1338 2013-09-08 12:57:39

theGunslinger

Unia wrote:
c00kiemon5ter wrote:

Then it would be like dwm, tags were never meant in monsterwm if I'm not mistaken?

#1339 2013-09-08 13:03:58

Unia
Website

"On the surface" tagging is like virtual desktops, but when you go more in-depth it is nothing alike. Having a client visible on mutltiple desktops does not make it tagging.

#1340 2013-09-08 14:20:15

xTouchMe

Is there a way on to have a hotkey without any modifiers on config.h?

#1341 2013-09-08 15:30:06

sekret

I've been taking a look at monsterwm recently and I have to say it's very nice. I'm not sure if it can replace dwm for me, because I use the tagging possibilities quite frequently.

The only thing stopping me from using monsterwm is one issue I'm having, I think this is a bug:
First of all, I have a QWERTZ keyboard, the issue looks to me like it might not be present with a QWERTY keyboard, but I'm not sure.
I use lolictrl, which I want to be bound to MOD+y. In dwm this works as expected, lolictrl runs correctly (dmenu shows up with the latest clipboard entries). Using MOD+y in monsterwm doesn't seem to work. Changing it to e.g. MOD+x makes it work again. Strangely enough, MOD+z also doesn't work. That makes me assume, that it might not be a problem with QWERTY keyboards.
Changing it to MOD+0x79 doesn't change the fact, that the combination isn't / the combinations aren't "caught" by monsterwm.

To be more precise:

static const char *lolictrl[] = { "lolictrl", NULL };
static Key keys[] = {
{  MOD4,             0x79,          spawn,             {.com = lolictrl}},
//{  MOD4,             XK_y,          spawn,             {.com = lolictrl}},
//{  MOD4,             XK_z,          spawn,             {.com = lolictrl}},
}

None of those do anything!

I'm not sure if you c00kiemon5ter can confirm this behavior, since you might have a different keyboard (in case it actually depends on the layout). So in case you don't know what causes this, what should I do to provide more informations?

Last edited by sekret (2013-09-08 15:31:33)

#1342 2013-09-08 15:33:32

Unia
Website

xTouchMe wrote:

{  0,                XK_Print,         spawn,          {.com = scrot}},

That's one of the lines I have in my config.h

#1343 2013-09-08 15:37:38

Neuromatic

xTouchMe wrote:

xbindkeys or sxhkd.

But why you would use this, if monsterwm brings a possibility to set keybindings?

/* No Comment */

#1344 2013-09-08 15:53:18

c00kiemon5ter
Website

Unia wrote:

not sure tongue maybe the code increase and complexity? I really don't remember, but afair I had some problem that was annoying.

@sekret, I assume QWERTZ is a german-layout keyboard ? try adding this to your ~/.xinitrc

setxkbmap de # change the keyboard layout
exe start_monsterwm.sh # or whatever you use to start monsterwm
Neuromatic wrote:
xTouchMe wrote:

xbindkeys or sxhkd.

But why you would use this, if monsterwm brings a possibility to set keybindings?

he wants to have a keybind on a key, without a modifier (Ctrl/shift/alt/win-key/etc)

Unia wrote:
xTouchMe wrote:

{  0,                XK_Print,         spawn,          {.com = scrot}},

That's one of the lines I have in my config.h

yep, that would do it, using 0 as a "no-modifier" value

#1345 2013-09-08 16:17:46

xTouchMe

Thanks! That worked

I could've sworn NULL was #defined as 0 somewhere
was I wrong...

#1346 2013-09-08 16:18:36

sekret

c00kiemon5ter wrote:

@sekret, I assume QWERTZ is a german-layout keyboard ? try adding this to your ~/.xinitrc

setxkbmap de # change the keyboard layout
exe start_monsterwm.sh # or whatever you use to start monsterwm

Nice, that solves it, thanks.

Now I have another question big_smile :
I use the xinerama branch of monsterwm, so I'm looking for a bar which is aware of xinerama. Could you suggest one? I tried all those mentioned in the README, but they all don't like multiple monitors and treat them as one monitor.

Last edited by sekret (2013-09-08 16:20:42)

#1347 2013-09-10 20:14:10

fabledpig

Hi!

How can I add a rule to open every window having no specified rule on a specified desktop?

With DWM one can do this:
{ NULL,     NULL,       NULL,       1 << 3,            False,        -1 },

Plus one has to change a line dwm.c and it works like a charm.

Is this possible with monsterwm?

#1348 2013-09-10 22:04:52

c00kiemon5ter
Website

@fabledpig
depending on the branch, around line 705 to 795, try this:

if (strstr(ch.res_class, rules[i].class) || strstr(ch.res_name, rules[i].class)) {    // change this to the following:
if (!rules[i].class || strstr(ch.res_class, rules[i].class) || strstr(ch.res_name, rules[i].class)) {

now a NULL class will mean that the rule applies to all windows

@sekret
there had been some discussion on modifying bar to work with xinerama
there is an open issue (to which I had replied but never got time to work on it)
sooo, no, I don't know of such a statusbar.
Not sure that's what you want, but just FYI you may like that bar can set its
width, so you can fit it on one screen.

#1349 2013-09-17 18:15:41

firecat53
Website

Hey c00kie...I don't know if you still receive notifications for this 'bar' issue with stlarch font icons that I had a while back. It seems to have reappeared with the most recent changes to 'bar'. Wondering if you had any thoughts about it?

Thanks!
Scott

Last edited by firecat53 (2013-09-17 18:17:19)

#1350 2013-09-18 19:21:52

F34R

C00kie

how i configure this bar style ?

Board footer