You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-10 17:37:29

davidjosepha

ncmpcpp tag editor working inconsistently

I've been using ncmpcpp's tag editor, and I've been having some issues.

First, for some songs, when I put a full date string into the year field, it shortens it to 4 digits when I save it (eg 2012-04-15 -> 2012). At first, I figured ncmpcpp just didn't support saving full date strings, but I've tried it with some other files and it works. I have yet to find a pattern (eg works for FLAC but not mp3, or vice versa).

Second, when I try to change the Album Artist field, instead of changing it, it usually adds a new Album Artist. For example, I tried to change the album artist from "Run The Jewels" to "Run the Jewels", and after saving, it changed to "Run The Jewels, Run the Jewels", and it started showing both under "Run the Jewels" and "Run The Jewels". If I try to set the Album Artist tag to "", it saves to "Run The Jewels" again. I think this problem has happened every time I've tried changing the Album Artist, so this might be universal, but it's possible it's only for some files like the Year thing is.

Lastly, sometimes when I try to change the track number from, for example, 01 to 01/14, it reverts back to 01.

So, does anyone have any idea why this is/how to fix it? I've looked in the source code and didn't see anything that cuts the Year string down to 4 digits, so I was thinking maybe something is up with my files? I've had no trouble editing any of these fields when in Foobar when I used Windows.

Last edited by davidjosepha (2013-09-10 17:39:54)

#2 2013-09-10 21:53:15

Rasi
Website

Re: ncmpcpp tag editor working inconsistently

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#3 2013-09-10 21:56:50

davidjosepha

Exceptionally helpful. I tried to register for the tracker earlier but never received a confirmation email, so I do not know how to proceed.

I found the reason for some of my problems, the album artist one at least. FLAC apparently has no official stance on which tag to use for album artist, "albumartist" or "album artist". It would appear that ncmpcpp (or mpd) uses "album artist", whereas most of my tags are in "albumartist", and so ncmpcpp is displaying both tags but is only writing to one.

#4 2013-09-10 22:25:50

Rasi
Website

It would appear that ncmpcpp (or mpd) uses "album artist", whereas most of my tags are in "albumartist", and so ncmpcpp is displaying both tags but is only writing to one.

mpd uses both. I know it, because i implemented the missing one tongue
http://git.musicpd.org/cgit/master/mpd. … b8b88ab0ef

by the way: ncmpcpp uses taglib for tagging. and that one also maps both fields:
https://github.com/eisnerd/taglib/commi … adff767062

So all in all it sounds like a bug in ncmpcpp. But it really belongs to the bug tracker. Sure the mail did not disappear in your spam folder? normally it should arrive instantly

Last edited by Rasi (2013-09-10 22:32:53)

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#5 2013-09-10 22:51:54

davidjosepha

Rasi wrote:

It would appear that ncmpcpp (or mpd) uses "album artist", whereas most of my tags are in "albumartist", and so ncmpcpp is displaying both tags but is only writing to one.

mpd uses both. I know it, because i implemented the missing one tongue
http://git.musicpd.org/cgit/master/mpd. … b8b88ab0ef

by the way: ncmpcpp uses taglib for tagging. and that one also maps both fields:
https://github.com/eisnerd/taglib/commi … adff767062

Ooh haha well I guess someone had thought of this already wink

Rasi wrote:

So all in all it sounds like a bug in ncmpcpp. But it really belongs to the bug tracker. Sure the mail did not disappear in your spam folder? normally it should arrive instantly

Yep, no email, nowhere in my trash or spam filters. I tried resetting my password (so I'd get another email) but didn't get anything from that either, and I made absolute sure everything was typed right.

#6 2013-09-10 23:05:21

Rasi
Website

just as a sidenote: mpd is totally unrelated to this issue. the whole tagging thing is done without mpd. talib reads the files tags and also writes them. (which is why you have to enter a path to your music in ncmpcpps config, so ncmpcpp can forward the path/filename to taglib)

Douglas Adams

#7 2013-09-10 23:06:02

progandy

First, for some songs, when I put a full date string into the year field, it shortens it to 4 digits when I save it (eg 2012-04-15 -> 2012). At first, I figured ncmpcpp just didn't support saving full date strings, but I've tried it with some other files and it works. I have yet to find a pattern (eg works for FLAC but not mp3, or vice versa).

It might depend on the version of the ID3 tags. Could it be that some are only version 1 and ncmpcpp does not add the new version?

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#8 2013-09-10 23:27:41

davidjosepha

progandy wrote:

It might depend on the version of the ID3 tags. Could it be that some are only version 1 and ncmpcpp does not add the new version?

Almost all of my music is FLAC, which uses the vorbis tags (I think) instead of ID3, so I don't think that's what it is.

#9 2013-10-31 14:48:50

Jellicent

I'm having a very similar problem. When trying to change any of the metadata of my songs (which are mp3 though) they become Chinese. Which is pretty funny. And at the same time it is not...

Editing the metadata with easytag for example is not a problem though. I have to delete the database of mpd to properly update it though.

#10 2013-11-29 20:37:06

Oficial

I think i'm having a similar problem but, in my case, delete the database do not work. I dont know when exactly this begin to occur. I always edit my collections using the ncmpcpp's tag editor. Someone else have any other ideas ?

Last edited by Oficial (2013-11-29 20:58:35)

#11 2013-11-29 20:40:43

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Bug in taglib...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#12 2013-11-30 13:18:09

BabyDoc

Concerning the Chinese Character problem: https://github.com/taglib/taglib/issues/306.

#13 2013-11-30 13:37:50

Jellicent

BabyDoc wrote:

Concerning the Chinese Character problem: https://github.com/taglib/taglib/issues/306.

Yeah, actually saving, editing them again (but only pressing enter, not actually changing anything), saving helps.
It's weird. And funny.

Board footer