You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-10 19:00:36

vadember

How can i get back LXDM to start automaticaly?

Off,
sorry for my english
On

i have removed KDE and installed LXDE, but LXDM don't start. I have the consol as first session, there i can login and starting LXDM (systemctl start lxdm.service), and there i can login in LXDE.
I don't no what can i do. I am new with Arch.
lxdm.service is enabled (systemctl enable lxdm.service) but is dead...
Can i remove some config.files and generet new ones? or maybe is something wrong after removing KDE, some important files dissappear?

#2 2013-09-10 19:02:56

karol
Archivist

Re: How can i get back LXDM to start automaticaly?

LXDM is kinda broken. Have you tried using something else, like slim?
https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail … 25391.html

#3 2013-09-10 19:13:48

vadember

# pacman -S slim
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Packages (1): slim-1.3.5-3

Total Installed Size:   0.37 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                     [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                   [######################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                        [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                  [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                [######################] 100%
(1/1) installing slim                              [######################] 100%
[root@...]# systemctl disable lxdm.service
[root@...]# systemctl enable slim.service
Failed to issue method call: File exists

...but i try to restart... maybe works...

#4 2013-09-10 19:24:05

vadember

I have the same problem, manually i can start slim, but he don't want to start automatic.
I see there after the system name Arch... TTY1 and until i want to write in my password some processes works, something like system busy. Scan for ""...

#5 2013-09-10 20:04:58

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

You will need to disable lxdm.service, or else remove /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service manually. before you can enable slim.service. As far as I know, all display managers conflict with each other in this manner.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#6 2013-09-10 20:10:31

Raynman

vadember wrote:

Did you get the same error when you enabled lxdm.service? Then lxdm was not enabled. The enable command should symlink display-manager.service to the DM of your choice, but without --force, it will not overwrite existing symlinks. An alternative to using --force is to disable the previous DM first, as you tried here with lxdm, but I guess you never disabled kdm.service when you removed KDE.

You can check with

$ systemctl status display-manager.service

(or look at the symlink itself) but as long as you supply the --force flag, enabling a new DM should succeed.

Edit (slightly offtopic):

karol wrote:

Too bad that doesn't explain why LXDM is considered broken (there was something about vt1/vt7 in a recent update, but that didn't seem like a big deal). I haven't had any problems with it (unlike LightDM) and slim is just a little spartan.

Last edited by Raynman (2013-09-10 20:22:17)

#7 2013-09-11 05:32:51

donniezazen
Website

I might be wrong but I always disable a systemd file first, before I remove the package that owns it.

Last edited by donniezazen (2013-09-11 05:33:19)

#8 2013-09-11 07:02:23

satanselbow

Raynman wrote:
karol wrote:

Too bad that doesn't explain why LXDM is considered broken (there was something about vt1/vt7 in a recent update, but that didn't seem like a big deal). I haven't had any problems with it (unlike LightDM) and slim is just a little spartan.

As far as I am aware there is a minor err when using automatic login with lxdm - there is a workaround available, I believe. Otherwise it is stable and fully functional.

The switch to tty1 is common to both lightdm and lxdm in their recent updates - at a guess the rest (gdm / slim / kdm) etc will follow suit soon.

#9 2013-09-11 13:42:36

vadember

Raynman wrote:
vadember wrote:

Did you get the same error when you enabled lxdm.service? Then lxdm was not enabled. The enable command should symlink display-manager.service to the DM of your choice, but without --force, it will not overwrite existing symlinks. An alternative to using --force is to disable the previous DM first, as you tried here with lxdm, but I guess you never disabled kdm.service when you removed KDE.

You can check with

$ systemctl status display-manager.service

(or look at the symlink itself) but as long as you supply the --force flag, enabling a new DM should succeed.

Now its OK smile
the --force flag was the solution, because i have no stop the service before i removed KDE.

Thanks for everybody
...but now i have a new question, maybe is off-topic, but i have removed KDE because the desktop was unstable (sometimes the internet not start , other times, de icons works not) Maybe is an right/authority/access problem, because now with LXDE i have the same problem. If the internet start ( i use wifi with Wicd) the icons works no more, i can't do anything, but if the internet connection don't work automaticaly, i can use my shortcuts. For example now, my shortcuts works after booting the system, but i musted start the internet via terminal with wifi-menu...
Any idea?

Thanks a lot.

#10 2013-09-11 14:40:55

fsckd
Forum Fellow

vadember, please start a new thread for your network trouble. Thanks.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

Board footer