You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-01 18:50:40

joepotter

Cups kills my keyboard ??

Hello All,

I am new to Arch. I run Debian but I want to look at Arch. So far version 0.7.1 has been a bit of a trial, but I have googled up most of my problems so far.

Now, I have a stumper. If I have Arch start cups via the /etc/rc.conf file like the wiki says to do I lose the use of my keyboard when gdm starts up.

How in the name of GNU can cups kill off a keyboard? It is just a cheap old pc104 type that is working fine as I type this.

It works fine in Debian with cups also.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks.

PS: How do you get a little text editor in xfce that will spell check?

Edit: I got one KDE editor to spell check.

Regards, Joe

#2 2006-01-02 07:41:08

Mythoz

Re: Cups kills my keyboard ??

Now, I have a stumper. If I have Arch start cups via the /etc/rc.conf file like the wiki says to do I lose the use of my keyboard when gdm starts up.

How in the name of GNU can cups kill off a keyboard? It is just a cheap old pc104 type that is working fine as I type this.

It's not the fault of CUPS, but GDM. See here for a solution.

#3 2006-01-02 11:40:24

murkus

Mythoz wrote:

It's not the fault of CUPS, but GDM. See here for a solution.

I got this fixed by just moving gdm as last entry in deamons array in rc.conf. I didn't have to change anything in gdm.conf

.murkus

#4 2006-01-02 13:24:30

Mythoz

murkus wrote:

I got this fixed by just moving gdm as last entry in deamons array in rc.conf. I didn't have to change anything in gdm.conf

It depends on your system (harddrive and cpu speed etc) and daemons you are loading in rc.conf. Your solution used to work for me, too. But some day, after removing some entries from daemons list, I had this annoying keyboard lockups with gdm.

#5 2006-01-02 14:33:29

Moo-Crumpus

Move all time consuming daemons to the begin and gdm to the end of the daemon line will optimize a little. But it might be necessary to change gdm, like Mythoz said.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#6 2006-01-02 21:43:26

joepotter

I am glad to hear it was not just me. I must wear my Debian hat at work, but I will work on the issue as soon as I am at my box at home.

By the way, I want to set up a network printer Brother HL-2070N that works great with GNU/Linux. However I do not seem to be able to install all the drivers I am used to seeing when I go to install the printer via Cup's web interface.

Should I ask about that here or go to the area that mentions printing issues?

Thanks to all.

Regards, Joe

Regards, Joe

#7 2006-01-03 07:24:32

murkus

joepotter wrote:

I am glad to hear it was not just me. I must wear my Debian hat at work, but I will work on the issue as soon as I am at my box at home.

By the way, I want to set up a network printer Brother HL-2070N that works great with GNU/Linux. However I do not seem to be able to install all the drivers I am used to seeing when I go to install the printer via Cup's web interface.

Should I ask about that here or go to the area that mentions printing issues?

Thanks to all.

Regards, Joe

If I were you I'd make another post titled accordingly. People doesn't necessarily read all the posts.

.murkus

#8 2006-01-04 00:24:47

joepotter

Moo-Crumpus wrote:

Move all time consuming daemons to the begin and gdm to the end of the daemon line will optimize a little. But it might be necessary to change gdm, like Mythoz said.

The move was enough, no need to change GDM at this time. But, I will keep it in mind if things go wrong done the road.

Thanks.

Regards, Joe

Board footer