You are not logged in.

#1 2004-01-28 17:05:53

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Confused about building custom kernel

I've looked at the FAQ, the FAQ in the documentation, and this thread:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=149

I want to build the 2.6 kernel, probably using abs. I've run abs and copied the kernel26 package into /var/abs/local. Now, it sounds from the faq like I have to download the kernel to run make menuconfig or xconfig. But do I download it manually, or use abs somehow? If manually, where do I download to? and most importantly, if I download manually, will ABS have to download it too, in order to make the package? I'm real short on allocated dial-up time right now, and would like to avoid downloading the same files twice.

Or would I be better off installing the kernel separately from ABS?

This seems like a stupid question, but I won't know that for sure until I see how simple the answer is. :-D

Thanks,
Dusty

#2 2004-01-28 19:36:40

jlvsimoes
Website

Re: Confused about building custom kernel

i use for custum stuff abs/local  now just run makepkg it will donwload the kernel and start to build the kernel pkg you can cancel it with ctrl+c and cd src/linuxverion
the make  menuconfig  choose you opcions save . then cp the .config inside the /src/linuxversion to you custom kernel26 config file nest time you do a makepkg it will not donwload the kernel becouse its already on /var/cache/pacman/src and it will build a pkg with your one config

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GU/ d- s: a- C L U P+ L+++ E--- W+
N 0+ K- W-- !O !M V-- PS+ PE- V++ PGP T 5 Z+ R* TV+ B+
DI-- D- G-- e-- h! r++ z+ z*
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

#3 2004-01-28 21:07:34

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

#4 2004-01-30 11:44:59

robot5x

I'm trying to customise the kernel with abs too...bit confused tho.
I already installed the kernel26 with pacman but want to recompile it - I don't need most of that stuff.
I followed the instructions in the FAQ - run make menuconfig in /usr/src/linux* then copy the config file over to /var/abs/kernels/kernel26 then makepkg. However, I get the following error when I makepkg...
==> Validating source files with MD5sums
    linux-2.6.1.tar.bz2 ... Passed
    config ... FAILED
==> ERROR: One or more files did not pass the validity check!

Maybe I'm not putting the config file in the wrong place...or maybe I just made a crappy config:)
Any advice is much appreciated.

#5 2004-01-30 15:17:46

sarah31
Website

robot5x wrote:

I'm trying to customise the kernel with abs too...bit confused tho.
I already installed the kernel26 with pacman but want to recompile it - I don't need most of that stuff.
I followed the instructions in the FAQ - run make menuconfig in /usr/src/linux* then copy the config file over to /var/abs/kernels/kernel26 then makepkg. However, I get the following error when I makepkg...
==> Validating source files with MD5sums
    linux-2.6.1.tar.bz2 ... Passed
    config ... FAILED
==> ERROR: One or more files did not pass the validity check!

Maybe I'm not putting the config file in the wrong place...or maybe I just made a crappy config:)
Any advice is much appreciated.

you will have to edit the PKGBUILD and remove the md5sum that corresponds to the config file. ANY changes to source or build files that are md5summed with cause failure of the sum checking. read man makepkg to learn how to generate new ones.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#6 2004-01-30 16:28:34

robot5x

Thanks for your advice sarah31...
After reading the man pages it's quite straightforward - leanrt my lesson to use them first.
The kernel package is making right now, so we'll see how it does - I remember someone saying you have to reinstall alsa after a kernel build?? I know I'll have to do the nvidia module again, but I wans't sure about alsa...

#7 2004-01-30 17:59:46

sarah31
Website

alsa is in the 2.6 kernels now (as long as you enabled it). so i suppose you no longer need to worry about  the independent packages (as far as i know anyway)

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#8 2004-01-30 18:38:43

robot5x

well, my new kernel is up and running, thanks to your advice - just had a couple of questions, then I promise I'll shut up.

When I run /sbin/lilo it complains about devfs not being compiled in the kernel - even tho I DEFNIITELY did. I noticed that the devfs daemon is failing to start - when making the kernel config, you can select devfs support, then also to start it at boot-time. This is what I did, so maybe that is causing some problem for the daemon. Is it best not to select this therefore??

Second, I still have rc.conf set up to load the oss stuff like snd-pcm-oss etc. I no longer have them available to me. I looked out for them when making menuconfig but couldn't find them - can someone help me out with where I can set these up in kernel configuration menu?
Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance.

#9 2004-01-30 22:32:55

robot5x

sorry
I just realised what a stupid question that was...
it's too tempting to just ask intead of trying to figure out things for yourself sometimes, right??!

Board footer