You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-02 14:37:05

valmar

Plymouth, GDM and Gnome Shell

Dear All,

I would like to report a problem for which I already found a workaround, but that might point to something else being broken.

Essentially, I use the new Gnome 3.6 and hence the new gdm 3.6.1. I also use plymouth during boot.  This means that I was using the gdm-plymouth service as opposed to the gdm service to start gnome.

However, if I use gdm-plymouth, when I login and the gnome-shell process starts, it keeps a high CPU consumption, even peaking at 100% sometimes.

If instead I use the gdm service, this does not happen and the gnome shell works normally. I have no idea what is causing this, as I think that the only difference is that gdm-plymouth waits for gdm to start before killing plymouth.

Another thing I noticed is, irrespective of which service I use, when gdm starts I see the X cursor on the screen, but at the same time I see the tty text in the background. The cursor tells me that X is starting, but why is it "transparent" so that I can see the tty prompt below? This is also the only glitch in my smooth booting procedure, so fixing this would also make me estetically happy!

Thanks for you help

Valerio

#2 2012-11-02 21:47:17

rkwurth

Re: Plymouth, GDM and Gnome Shell

The glitch in your smooth booting procedure may be a feature... either way, I see it as well.

#3 2012-11-03 00:45:49

valmar

Uhm, I see in the Plymouth page on AUR:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=29184

that using gdm-plymouth is causing other problems. I have another box with Fedora running on it, and there the tty output does not appear in the background when gdm starts. I will try and copy the configuration from there. I think it is a matter of not starting tty until after gdm has started

Valerio

#4 2012-11-03 10:15:29

alessiofachechi

It happens to me too!! I saw in the "Details" section of gnome system settings that it doesn't use the intel driver for acceleration, but the software one.. Instead, if I use gdm.service the driver used is the intel one, so no CPU consumption.

The problem is that if I use gdm.service then plymouth never stops, the spinner loops infinitely and gdm never starts. And, if I boot deleting "quiet splash" from the kernel parameters, when gdm starts it has not the corrent position on the screen: it's shifted in the top and right directions.. I don't understand why.. It's also a fresh install of arch..

Alessio

#5 2012-11-03 18:10:05

rmujica

I also have this problem, I use gdm-plymouth service, after plymouth stops the animation, screen goes to black and shows some tty text and the X-style cursor. It waits a while and then it shows the GDM welcome screen.
I'm going to test now if this happens with lightdm-plymouth.

#6 2012-11-04 09:29:57

valmar

Dear All,

I have been comparing configuration files between my arch machine and my fedora box, especially regarding the tty output in the background. The only difference seems to be this After line:

In Arch:

After=systemd-user-sessions.service getty@tty.service plymouth-quit.service

In Fedora:

After=getty@tty.service plymouth-quit.service

However, this does not solve the problem for me...

Valerio

#7 2012-11-07 16:59:09

valmar

Dear All,

I switched to proprietary grpahic drivers. Now when I boot gdm starts, but plymouth is still running in the background (you can see it in all other ttys). Checking with systemctl, it seems that nothing calls plymouth-quit and so plymouth does not stop and plymout-quit-wait fails.

If I manually start plymouth-quit

systemctl start plymouth-quit.service

Everything is back to normal. Does anyone know what is supposed to be starting  plymouth-quit but doesn't?

Valerio

#8 2012-11-12 07:51:13

alessiofachechi

valmar wrote:

Dear All,
Does anyone know what is supposed to be starting  plymouth-quit but doesn't?

From gdm.service:

[Unit]
Description=GNOME Display Manager
Conflicts=getty@tty1.service plymouth-quit.service
After=systemd-user-sessions.service getty@tty1.service plymouth-quit.service

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/gdm
Restart=always
IgnoreSIGPIPE=no
BusName=org.gnome.DisplayManager

[Install]
Alias=display-manager.service

From gdm-plymouth.service:

Description=GNOME Display Manager
After=systemd-user-sessions.service

Conflicts=plymouth-quit.service
After=plymouth-quit.service

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/gdm -nodaemon
StandardOutput=syslog

[Install]
Alias=display-manager.service

So, gdm.service has the command "plymouth-quit.service".. So I don't understand why it never stops..

#9 2012-11-12 08:36:38

lmello

I'm also having this issue. Using plymouth (stable) from AUR makes my computer slow and plus, still doesn't give a completely smooth transition to GDM. The plymouth-git package doesn't work. It's a shame because the 'spinner' theme is simple and beautiful IMHO. So I'm not using plymouth for now. Upon startup I managed to get a 'clean' boot by setting:

MaxLevelConsole=emerg

On /etc/systemd/journald.conf.

Fundamental Axiom of the Universe (aka Murphy's Law): Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.
First Digital Deduction: Nothing obeys Murphy's Law so well as computers.
Second Digital Deduction: Everything go wrong at least once.
Third Digital Deduction: Things go wrong even when there's absolutely no possibility of anything go wrong.

#10 2012-11-21 23:57:01

Kivutar
Website

I'm also interested in having the smooth transition. Have you read this post? http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/p … 00126.html

#11 2013-02-08 23:02:11

lmello

Ok now the latest plymouth-git works but... GDM doesn't start.

Fundamental Axiom of the Universe (aka Murphy's Law): Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.
First Digital Deduction: Nothing obeys Murphy's Law so well as computers.
Second Digital Deduction: Everything go wrong at least once.
Third Digital Deduction: Things go wrong even when there's absolutely no possibility of anything go wrong.

#12 2013-09-12 05:20:04

bsujja

I use plymouth package from AUR with GDM and Nvidia proprietary driver. I had the same problem, i.e. plymouth not quiting when GDM starts. My workaround is to add this code in /etc/gdm/Init/Default

/usr/bin/killall plymouthd

EDIT:
I change the code to below, and it works more smoothly:

/usr/bin/plymouth --quit

Add it at the top after the comment lines.

Last edited by bsujja (2013-09-12 10:50:02)

Board footer