You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-07 20:56:18

youngunix
Website

[SOLVED: clear CMOS] Reboot when resuming from sleep mode!

Hello all,

System Specs(Desktop): 

uname: Linux 3.10.10-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
GPU: nVidia GTX-550 Ti - Drivers: 325.15 

The sleep and hibernate modes work as they should. But lately whenever I tap a key or press the power button to wake the pc from using either of the suspend modes, it reboots instead of turning on(hardware) and prompting with the loging screen like my laptop does.
I've check the wiki and searched the forums but nothing is close to what I'm experiencing.

Any help or links to something I might missed is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by youngunix (2013-09-15 03:33:48)

"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity." --Dennis Ritchie-- RIP

#2 2013-09-07 21:00:35

WonderWoofy

Re: [SOLVED: clear CMOS] Reboot when resuming from sleep mode!

Checking the wiki and searching the forums is a great start.  But if it is problem with your machine, wouldn't it be good to check to see if it is trying to tell you anything?  Maybe looking in your own logs might have something telling…

#3 2013-09-07 21:05:51

youngunix
Website

That's exactly what I'm working on and investigating as we post:

$ systemctl | grep -i failed ===> got nothing
# 
$ systemctl status systemd-modules-load
systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static)
   Active: inactive (dead)
          start condition failed at Sat 2013-09-07 12:33:21 CDT; 2h 47min ago
     Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
           man:modules-load.d(5)

"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity." --Dennis Ritchie-- RIP

#4 2013-09-07 21:13:06

WonderWoofy

systemctl is the dbus interface to systemd.  I am suggesting you look at your logs.  In the default configuration, Arch Linux uses the systemd journal and makes it persistent with the creation of /var/log/journal.  Unless you have changed this, that is where you should be looking.

BTW, for future reference, this is the kind of information you should have investigated before you posted here.

#5 2013-09-07 21:17:32

youngunix
Website

Digging in /var/log/journal using journalctl came up with nothing.

#6 2013-09-08 01:25:36

cfr

How did you dig exactly? Those files are in binary format so usually you would examine them with journalctl. man journalctl for details.

EDIT: Also, how are you suspending/sleeping? And you say "lately" - did it used to work? Did anything change around the time it stopped working (e.g. upgrades or whatever)?

Last edited by cfr (2013-09-08 01:27:51)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#7 2013-09-14 03:25:20

youngunix
Website

Sorry for the delayed reply, had some issues to deal with.
When reading journal logs, I use the following:

# journalctl -a -l
# journalctl -k -b -1

When reading other logs(ex: xorg), I use KSystemLog.

I use "sleep" button from KMenu(application menu).
Yes! "lately" it's been happeneing on every OS that use with this hardware. It used to be when I just tap the space bar or power button and the login screen shows up. Now, it does a complete reboot as if it was powered off.
I am suspecting the latest NVIDIA drivers updated. Still looking into it.

Last edited by youngunix (2013-09-14 03:30:36)

#8 2013-09-14 13:06:17

cfr

What does "every OS" include? Just thinking if it includes something like Windows, say, that would point to something rather different than if the problem only manifests in Linux.

Have you seen if the problem occurs if you use the nouveau drivers?

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#9 2013-09-14 18:22:26

mapintar

I have similar problem for several month. No solution. But, when I clean CMOS for try solve another bug problem is solved. Try it.

#10 2013-09-15 03:08:53

youngunix
Website

cfr wrote:

What does "every OS" include? Just thinking if it includes something like Windows, say, that would point to something rather different than if the problem only manifests in Linux.

I'm sorry dude, but there is something wrong with you!! In every thread, you just ask or make lame @$$ statements.

#11 2013-09-15 03:32:39

youngunix
Website

mapintar wrote:

I have similar problem for several month. No solution. But, when I clean CMOS for try solve another bug problem is solved. Try it.

After hours of trying every possible trick(I even hacked some config files) and never thought CMOS would have something to do with this.

THANK YOU, YOU ARE AWESOME.

#12 2013-09-15 03:44:53

WonderWoofy

youngunix wrote:
cfr wrote:

I'm sorry dude, but there is something wrong with you!! In every thread, you just ask or make lame @$$ statements.

cfr is a regular presence around here and helps quite a lot of people.  He was trying to get clarification so that your problem could be further debugged.  You may think that his statements are "lame ass" but you attitude is "asshole".  Don't come here looking for help and then tell those trying to help you that their help sucks.  If that is how you show your appreciation for support, you should go elsewhere.

#13 2013-09-15 04:34:40

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

youngunix wrote:
cfr wrote:

Please read the Forum Etiquette, pay special attention to the clause about respecting other users: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ther_Users

Comments like the above are unwelcome and will just earn you a ban.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer