You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-15 19:46:18

andrecamargo

Modem Manager Crash the system

I start up the system and just after conect to my home netork via wireless the system crash: i can`t open any program, none of them.

Journalctl returns:

-- Logs begin at Qui 2013-08-29 05:50:19 BRT, end at Dom 2013-09-15 16:41:01 BRT. --
Set 15 16:39:00 thinpletinot01 systemd[1]: Time has been changed
Set 15 16:39:00 thinpletinot01 sudo[1257]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Set 15 16:40:14 thinpletinot01 dbus-daemon[398]: dbus[398]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.ModemM
Set 15 16:40:14 thinpletinot01 dbus[398]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.ModemManager1' unit='dbu
Set 15 16:40:14 thinpletinot01 dbus[398]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.ser
Set 15 16:40:14 thinpletinot01 dbus-daemon[398]: dbus[398]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop
Set 15 16:40:34 thinpletinot01 systemd[1]: Starting Cleanup of Temporary Directories...
Set 15 16:40:34 thinpletinot01 systemd[1]: Started Cleanup of Temporary Directories.
Set 15 16:41:01 thinpletinot01 su[1333]: (to andrecamargo) andrecamargo on none

Systemctl returns:

dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service
   Loaded: error (Reason: No such file or directory)
   Active: inactive (dead)

Someone can help-me please?

Last edited by andrecamargo (2013-09-16 12:28:41)

#2 2013-09-15 20:46:42

WonderWoofy

Re: Modem Manager Crash the system

I figured since I absolutely positively do not for any reason need modemmanager, I simply rebuilt the package without the dependency.  It might work to simply mask the service file as well.

BTW, you need to use code blocks for output like that.  Please go back and fix your post.  To see hwo to do things like code blocks and more follow the 'BBCode' tag below the text input box.

#3 2013-09-16 12:32:07

andrecamargo

Edited the post with code blocks.

WonderWoofy wrote:

I figured since I absolutely positively do not for any reason need modemmanager, I simply rebuilt the package without the dependency.  It might work to simply mask the service file as well.

The system worked perfectly, but in some time the erro appeared and now my system is broken. I don't want to make my own packages. because i don't want to mess deep in system, in a way that if appears a problem, i could fix it without much work. I don't have advanced knowledge in Linux

Last edited by andrecamargo (2013-09-16 12:47:23)

#4 2013-09-16 17:26:53

WonderWoofy

It sounds as though you might have problems unrelated to the modemmanager.  I'm not sure if you are implying that you tried to mask modemmanager or not and that it worked for a bit.  But when you say "in some time the erro appeared" I have no idea what you are talking about.  What error?  You haven't acutally posted an error at all or even indicated what this apparent "erro" might have said.

So if you did in fact mask the modemmanager service and the proplem persists… then it has nothing to do with modemmanager.  I think maybe you should try to debug your connection in general.  Can you connect manually by using wpa_supplicant/wpa_passphrase and dhcpcd (or dhclient) directly?  If so, then that is good, but if not you should post any output you are given during that process.

#5 2013-09-16 17:38:48

andrecamargo

I'm talking about this erro: i can`t open any program, none of them.

I try to open konsole and the system returns:

kdeinit can't lauch /usr/bin/konsole

by example.
All others programs don't open and some don't give even a warning, like firefox

when i boot, before the networkmanager connects to my wifi, the system works perfectly, but after the networkmanager connects the system crash and i can`t open any program

I only installed arch-linux, xorg, kde, LAMP with myphpmyadmin, some KDE Programs, like amarok, firefox...

For each instalation i used the arch-wiki and follow every instruction.

In the journal and systemctl i only foud this msgs above, if you need more info for the logs i can put in code here.

Than you

Last edited by andrecamargo (2013-09-16 17:53:30)

#6 2013-09-16 23:08:17

WonderWoofy

Soooo… if you really think it is something to do with network manager (and modemmanager specifically) then have you tried connecting with something different like I suggested before?

#7 2013-09-17 15:54:47

andrecamargo

WonderWoofy wrote:

Soooo… if you really think it is something to do with network manager (and modemmanager specifically) then have you tried connecting with something different like I suggested before?

Tring wpa_supplicant the system works perfectly.

Step by step:

• Stop Networkmanager service with systemctl

• Run wpa_supplicant with the same interface and conected to the same wifi.

• Use dhcpcd to release an ip (dinamic ip)

• Try to open firefox, dolphin, konsole (the programs that i can`t open when conect by netwrokmanager)

everything works as the normal.
Journalctl report no erros.

Edit:

• I use abnt2 for my keyboard layout, but after this erro become alive the layout changed for something else, and my keyboard layout back to english.

• synaptiKs (touchpad config for kde) wont work for a bug with python ( i look for internet and get many people with same problem and doing some tests i get the same results) and after this erro the synaptiKs is working again.

Last edited by andrecamargo (2013-09-17 16:09:54)

#8 2013-09-17 17:29:43

WonderWoofy

Okay, your edit stuff is irrelevant to this particular problem.  You should focus on one thing at a time.

So I am still not entirely sure if you tried masking modemmanager.service before… if so, then this still caused the problem?  If not, then try that.

Modemmanager is also activated via dbus.  So there is a file /etc/dbus/system.d/org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.conf that I think activates the service when NetworkManager is started.  You might be able to stop the modemmanager from being started by eliminating this file.  But unfortunately, this file is not in the backup array of the package, so when the package gets updated, this file will reappear.

Honestly, I think you should learn how to build your own package.  Using the Arch Build System is really no different than using the AUR.  That is, if you aren't using some crap like yaourt.  Using an AUR helper is fine, so long as you know what that entails and how to do things manually.  In the event that you run into problems when using an AUR helper, it is always good to know how to manually build the packages so that you can debug the situation.

Building a custom networkmanager package to not include the modemmanager support is as simple as removing a one line from the ./configure line and one word/package from the depends array.  It is not an incredibly large package, so it builds in a minute or so on my machine.

I think the other sane alternative would be to simply try another network management application.  Wicd I think would be a good alternative, as it also provides a nice taskbar icon in the wicd-gtk package.  Though I use network manager from time to time, I started with wicd.  It is much easier to use, and doesn't try to throw every feature possible into the mix.

#9 2013-09-17 17:57:11

andrecamargo

WonderWoofy wrote:

Okay, your edit stuff is irrelevant to this particular problem.  You should focus on one thing at a time.

So I am still not entirely sure if you tried masking modemmanager.service before… if so, then this still caused the problem?  If not, then try that.

The problem with the layout was resolved. i have removed the .kde folder, and i forgot about it.

What dou you mean with masking? Desactivate the modemmanager service with systemctl? i tried, but returns the erro: file not found.

WonderWoofy wrote:

Modemmanager is also activated via dbus.  So there is a file /etc/dbus/system.d/org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.conf that I think activates the service when NetworkManager is started.  You might be able to stop the modemmanager from being started by eliminating this file.  But unfortunately, this file is not in the backup array of the package, so when the package gets updated, this file will reappear.

I tried this, and it's connected and working as normal, but i connected to wireless in work, not the same wifi. so i don't know if really worked.

Edit:
Don't work, after doing that the system crash. Tur off alone, saing that is no power in battery (but the battery was full), and after reboot detects another monitor (that don't exists) and now is complain about avahi (same erro that modemmanager) kmix stop to working.

Last edited by andrecamargo (2013-09-17 18:14:31)

Board footer