You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-20 08:40:03

thepadawan42
Website

[SOLVED] KDE black screen on resume after suspend

Yesterday I wasted the day investigating this and at the end the problem was not suspending the computer but the KDE lock screen as explained here. I thought to open a new thread so other people would not wasted their time looking into the wrong issue as I did.

Anyway, this is what happens, when KDE resumes, it only displays a black screen and the mouse pointer. The problem appears only when the system suspends through KDE (through the menu, the global shortcut or closing the laptop lid), suspending the system directly through systemd (systemctl suspend) or dbus (qdbus --system org.freedesktop.login1 /org/freedesktop/login1 org.freedesktop.login1.Manager.Suspend true) works fine.

The way to recover is to kill kdm (ctrl+atl+backspace) or to restart kdm (switch to a terminal and execute systemctl restart kdm) .

As explained in the post #12 of this thread,  if you use a transparent widget style (I use Oxygen Transparent) you have to add the lock screen to the background opacity exception list, for that go to:
System Settings ->   Application Appearance ->  Style -> Applications -> Configure … (to the right of 'Widget style') ->  General -> Exceptions...
And select  both "kscreenlocker" and "kscreenlocker_greet", if they do not exist add them through the 'Add' button.

Last edited by thepadawan42 (2013-07-20 08:43:33)

#2 2013-07-30 21:00:49

quarkup
Website

Re: [SOLVED] KDE black screen on resume after suspend

Hello.

Thanks for the help, I was not finding the solution even in the forums until I have reached this topic. (bumping)

A +1 button would be awesome for marking topics like this one.

If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

#3 2013-09-02 21:39:40

milomilo

Hi,

I am also having this issue. After resuming from suspend-mode, I get a black screen with a mouse-cursor. I can follow you instructions up until "-> General". I don't see an "Exceptions"-button/area where I can select the kscreenlocker exceptions. Can you help?

#4 2013-09-19 14:11:32

thepadawan42
Website

Sorry, I have been away for a while. Could you take a snapshot of your screen?
This is what it is shown in mine http://picpaste.com/1320076.png

I am using KDE 4.11.1

#5 2013-09-28 15:18:19

milomilo

Hi,

I am also using 4.11.1. Here is the snapshot, though I am using Oxygen default style.

http://picpaste.com/snapshot1-mQLFw9w7.png

#6 2013-10-13 08:58:13

thepadawan42
Website

It could be a different problem; the issue affecting me was related to the transparency of the theme but yours is the regular oxygen. Try to disable the locking screen to see if it is the locking program causing it.

Board footer