You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-19 22:41:05

blankwall

Help installing BlackArch

So I am looking to add a nice array of security packages so I decided to give BlackArch a go. Unfortunately ever command run by it gives me a different error. Just looking to see if anyone else has an error like this.

The install instructions are clear except for this part:

When installing using the blackarch install script, please make sure the following repositories are enabled: core extra community multilib and lastly make sure to synchronize your pacman database with pacman -Sy or be fully up-to-date with your packages with pacman -Syu

What does it mean when it says ensure the repositories are enabled?

Here are the errors I am getting when running the build script:

==> ERROR: Cannot find the strip binary required for object file stripping.
==> ERROR: Cannot find the fakeroot binary required for building as non-root user.
==> ERROR: Cannot find the fakeroot binary required for building as non-root user.

Any help is appreciated.

#2 2013-06-19 22:45:55

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Help installing BlackArch

(edit: removed some incorrect assessments)

EDIT: I just looked at some of your previous posts: it looks like you have in fact installed a 'true' archlinux system to start with, right? What is the output of the following

which strip
pac -Qs binutils

Last edited by Trilby (2013-06-30 17:29:37)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2013-06-19 22:46:34

progandy

You'll have to install the groups base, base-devel and multilib-devel if you want to build mulitlib packages from source (with makepkg and PKGBUILDs)

Last edited by progandy (2013-06-19 22:47:41)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#4 2013-06-19 22:48:51

blankwall

Yes this is a true Arch isntall. I have been updating every 2 days or so at this point. 

Here is the output. Clearly seems I am missing whatever is needed.

[blankwall@blankwall ~]$ which strip
which: no strip in (/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin/core_perl)
[blankwall@blankwall ~]$ pac -Qs binutils
bash: pac: command not found
[blankwall@blankwall ~]$

Last edited by blankwall (2013-06-19 22:51:11)

#5 2013-06-19 22:51:08

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Sorry blankwall, I may have been going on too quick a reaction. (edit: happily BlackArch's maintainer [see below] has remedied all the quirks I had reacted to, so this post became irrelevant).

Last edited by Trilby (2013-06-30 17:30:33)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2013-06-20 19:56:20

opt1mus
Website

It's not just advice, looking at the github repo; the install shell script contains pacman -Sy.

-- edit below --

I don't use these scripts at all, but took it off my own back to email codemunchies about this, recommending a change re: unsupported pacman usage.

Last edited by opt1mus (2013-06-20 20:42:02)

#7 2013-06-25 20:25:09

codemunkii
Website

I have a software development/infosec background, by no means an ArchLinux expert.  When I started this project I was fairly new to ArchLinux (and I'm still learning a lot), but enjoyed using it's minimalist style so much I wanted to bring a pentest toolset to it.  That being said I made a lot of mistakes in the execution.  The "full install" script should probably only be run on a new clean system as it could potentially break an already configured system, but also included the option to download and makepkg individual tools as the user sees fit.  To be honest it would've been easier on everyone to just put it all on the AUR.  I should've never stored all the source code on my server making it more difficult to keep packages up to date, I should've never written a script to install a full blown set of tools via makepkg, I should've never modified the core XFCE menu file, better to create a new file in the user's home path (more potential for breaking a system), and many other mistakes.

That being said, with all this experience and feedback from the ArchLinux community, BlackArch is taking a much different approach.  I'll still retain the github repository for those that want to manage their own or build their own, but the source code links in the PKGBUILD files will pull straight from the developers, and all the packages that are not already available on the AUR I'll push up.  All packages will be in a repository that can be used to install each tool, and a script that will bulk install all the tools from the repository (should the user choose to).

One thing I will say, the ArchLinux community is far more forgiving than I give it credit for, and I do appreciate any and all criticism/feedback.

@blankwall, if you want to give it a try download the VM from the BlackArch website download link and give that a try, and stay tuned for a much improved BlackArch.

#8 2013-06-30 17:05:58

codemunkii
Website

Long gone are the days of a shell install script, BlackArch linux is now a pacman repository.  I appreciate the emails and messages, all feedback is helping to shape the project.

List of available packages: blackarch package list

Maybe I should create groups to make it easier for users to bulk-install?  Any ideas?

Last edited by codemunkii (2013-06-30 17:08:08)

#9 2013-09-20 03:43:28

rsplenum

how to create a blackarch tools menu in kde ?

#10 2013-09-20 11:39:30

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

rsplenum wrote:

how to create a blackarch tools menu in kde ?

Please don't necrobump unrelated threads, also we don't generally provide support for arch derivates. You should go to the forum/irc/whatever of blackarch.

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2013-09-20 11:40:53)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#11 2013-09-20 11:51:28

karol
Archivist

I'm not sure if we can call BlackArch an Arch derivative: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BlackArch

#12 2013-09-20 11:55:47

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

His problem is still directly related to the blackarch project, and not really to arch itself.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#13 2013-09-20 12:41:01

Awebb

I think this should be handled similar to Xyne's repository and respective threads. The project's goal seems to be compiling additional software for a specific group of tasks. I did not do a complete scan of the package list, but none of those packages looks particularly familiar, so I'd guess (if that was the case), that it does not really collide with vanilla Arch packages most of the time, so we can give it as much attention as we would to an AUR help related thread. In addition, the project lead seems to deal with this thread personally, so in my book, this one goes below the "other distribution" threshold.

EDIT: Then again, if there is an IRC channel, hell, why not ask their first, indeed.

Last edited by Awebb (2013-09-20 12:42:27)

#14 2013-09-20 13:37:32

karol
Archivist

If there's some info missing, is outdated or incomplete, please add it to the wiki article.
I copied the description from their github page https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?ti … did=272608 but I'm not familiar with the project, so I might have gotten something wrong.

#15 2013-09-20 17:42:53

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

We do help with many software packages that can be added on top of arch.  If we (forum) only supported a base arch install, all WM/DE/X11 questions would be off limits.

That said, "installation" probably isn't the right forum for this.  I'm not sure it Networking (as that's the point of many of the tools in Black Arch - I think) or Applications, or AUR.

#16 2013-09-20 18:17:56

ewaller
Administrator

Trilby is (as usual) correct.. Moving to AUR

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer