You are not logged in.

#3426 2013-09-13 12:56:10

WinterIsComing

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Been using ArchLinux for around one year. I have enjoyed using Arch and desire to learn more by being a part of a community that sees to support this wonderful distro.

Nice to meet you all.  o/

▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
-=] W i n t e r  I s  C o m i n g [=-

Github | deviantART

#3427 2013-09-13 14:51:41

gconz

Hello Arch.  I am brand new to the forums and look forward to participating actively.  Though not new to Linux, I had been a regular Mac and Windows user, for both work and home.  I am a programmer (18 years) and intend to switch to linux, well, for the rest of my days.  My long-term goal is do software engineering for non-profit  organizations utilizing OSS (as they are usually serverely cost constrained).  Over the past month, I have experimented with almost every non-obscure distro out there and have settled with Arch due to its philosophy and level of control.  I am really excited about the community as well, which was also a significant determining factor for my choice of Arch.

#3428 2013-09-13 16:17:29

timde9

Hello everyone, the name is Tim and I am using arch primarily as a game OS.  However I decided to learn how to use arch because I want to learn more about coding in general and have also used arch to start learning a little bit of the C programming language.  Hopefully this will lead to a better understanding of computers and how they really work in the future.  I would like to be able to contribute back to the open community that has given me so much over the years.

#3429 2013-09-13 20:34:34

MatejLach
Website

timde9 wrote:

Hello everyone, the name is Tim and I am using arch primarily as a game OS.

Wow! How times are changing...

#3430 2013-09-14 04:44:33

x33a
Forum Fellow

MatejLach wrote:
timde9 wrote:

Hello everyone, the name is Tim and I am using arch primarily as a game OS.

Wow! How times are changing...

lol

Thanks to steam, I guess.

#3431 2013-09-17 19:09:55

charly1811
Website

Hello Arch Users ! I am Charles, 18 Years Old and I am new to Linux. I have choosen Arch Linux because i noticed that other Distros are to assisted (Ubuntu) but with Arch when my system has a problem, I solve it Alone and this is that philosophy that i Like . I use Arch since 3 Months and it work like a charm . Thank you developers and community for this Master Piece !

#3432 2013-09-17 20:21:45

kranuu

Hello.

I used Arch Linux few years ago.
Now I have problem with fresh install, so I'm counting on yours help smile
Unfortunately my english is poor sad

#3433 2013-09-17 20:47:23

Jellicent

Hello there! After a 20-year long usage of Windows (okay, probably rather 10, since I didn't use a PC from age 1 on...) I was pretty much fed up with all the bugs and inability to make even fonts work properly when it came down to foreign languages. Switched to FreeBSD with 0 knowledge. After half a year I switched to Arch because it was just a tad easier to manage imo. And it wasn't as time consuming keeping it up to date. So.. here I am, happy to learn some more. big_smile
Guess I've been on Arch for 4 days now.. and counting.

#3434 2013-09-18 06:59:51

aldoiljazi

helloo, i am aldo iljazi, 21 years old from greece. tried arch linux two years ago i really liked it, so now i am back, with a few difficulties, but i am counting on the community. big_smile

#3435 2013-09-18 08:29:36

morbidj

Hello Arch user base / community.. I just wanted introduce myself and show gratitude towards this awesome group that supports the Arch distro.. My name is James and I reside in the Rocky Mountains, Mile High Denver Colorado.. Go!!!! Broncos...

Im running Arch on my tablet/convertible Dell Duo Inspiron 1090... I have replaced the standard 320GB 7200 RPM platter hard drive with and Intel 320 160GB SSD and also replaced the broadcom bluetooth/wifi module with an Intel 6200 Draft N. The two upgrades have substantially improved the hardware performance of this machine and Arch Linux is just the cherry on top!

Only hang up I had was with the Broadcom Crystahd device.. After countless trial and error attempts I have achieved a usable system that that rivals all other distro's I have tried in the past in terms of functionality and performance.

Looking forward to contributing and participating with in the Arch community.. J

#3436 2013-09-18 18:52:56

Texas

drcouzelis wrote:
aaditya wrote:

But I do follow the Arch Wiki when I am having problems with something, and its well documented here

I think most of the Linux community follows the Arch Wiki when they're having problems. tongue

The Arch wiki is truly a gem with no equal.  I also use it a lot when I 'stray' away from Arch for a while... but I always come back!

#3437 2013-09-19 16:01:05

Eiyeron
Website

HI everyone, I'm using Archie for some weeks, and I'm quite happy with this distro. I'm becoming more and more sick of Windows, and learning the Linux/Bash way opened my eyes.
I'm from France and is 18 now,  including 13 of computer fiddling/gaming/programming.

My frist reason to switch to Archie is to have a lightweight yet powerful OS. Ubu and Debian don't match my daily and intensive use of computers, first one is just a bloatware, and the other one is just way outdated.

So, why not enjoying staying here for a while? big_smile

See you soon!

#3438 2013-09-19 16:40:10

karol
Archivist

Welcome! :-)

Eiyeron wrote:

I'm from France and is 18 now,  including 13 of computer fiddling/gaming/programming.

At 5 I was coloring books and playing with plush toys.
The kids these days ...

BTW, it's Arch, not Archie https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … ve)#Archie

#3439 2013-09-19 16:44:07

Eiyeron
Website

Hello and thanks! Okay so for Arch. My dad had the excellent idea to offer me a comp for christmas... Look at me today, I'm following an IT study! tongue

Oh, and I'm programming on calcs. Casio Graphs (the recent ones.), TI-84+, nSpire...

#3440 2013-09-19 16:59:44

ewaller
Administrator

Eiyeron wrote:

Oh, and I'm programming on calcs. Casio Graphs (the recent ones.), TI-84+, nSpire...

What, no HP-50g or HP-48xs ?  What of the youth of today? sad

Welcome to Arch. tongue

Edit:  Did you know you can write in C on the HP-50g?

Last edited by ewaller (2013-09-19 17:00:48)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3441 2013-09-19 17:42:31

Eiyeron
Website

Never saw a HP. They are very rare in France. You can code to on the last Casio models. THey have (for the monchromes) a good SH3 @22MHz. For the Prizm (last FX, with colors!), I'm programming a Bust-a-Move port (the video is quite out of date since I published it).

#3442 2013-09-20 02:20:01

ThePacman

A few years back, a friend introduced me to something called "Ubuntu Linux". I didn't know what it was at the time (at that point I was still learning my way around the computer, having just recieved my first computer several months earlier,) but being curious I decided to give it a try. Little did I know I was starting a lifelong journey.

I enjoyed the intuitive interface, the easy-to-understand GUIs, the fact that no prior knowledge was necessary. After a while, I began to wonder how it all worked, and to look a little deeper into the system.
I discovered the concepts of root, the X11 server, the way files worked, et cetera.
I learned how APT worked, and eventually switched over to the Terminal for my updates, upgrades, and installs.

Once I had become familiar with the basics of this user-friendly Linux distro, I began to explore the concept of Linux distributions, what their defferences and strengths were. I almost tried Fedora at one point, but the computer I was hoping to install it on didn't have enough RAM.

I explored several USB-based distros, and settled on Puppy Linux. I used it for a while, then decided to look further.

After looking at all the different distributions, I finally set my sights on Arch. This was my ideal system! You choose everything, configure everything, the little framework that exists is focused on simplicity and elegance - it looked perfect.
But I was not ready. Not yet.

Eventually, I got a Dell Inspiron B130 that someone was going to just get rid of because the battery had died. After accidentally destroying the hard drive via fdisk in at attempt to resize an NTFS partition, I installed Puppy on it, but eventually forgot about the computer.

While doing some cleaning a few months later, I noticed the laptop, and decided to install Arch and use it as a test case.
After getting the Broadcom wireless chip to work (many thanks to the Arch Wiki, an invaluable resource,) I installed X11 with Fluxbox and began to use it for browsing. (Arch seems to be the only Linux distro that pays a modecom of attention to keeping its Chromium packages up-to-date.. Good job!)
Even with just 1 Gig of RAM, everything seemed snappy. After installing a GTK theme, it no longer looked like Windows 95.. but still ran quite nicely.

Anyway, I'm just jumping into Arch, that's my story. I hope to enjoy my time using this Distro, and perhaps make it my permanent choice. Your Wiki is excellent, Pacman works well, everything is minimal and elegant. This looks like it would be a very good choice.

Sincerely,
~James

Fedora believes in "software freedom" - that is, restricting user software choices to those deemed appropriately licensed by The Powers That Be.
Arch believes in "freedom", as well - the user has control over his or her system and can do what he wants with it.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items | https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way

#3443 2013-09-21 06:09:40

Amanda S
Website

Hello everyone.

I'm from Brazil and decided giving Arch a try after being too confortable with Debian Testing.
Looks like a great distro. Lots of control over everything!

I'm really liking it.

If it ain't broke, you haven't tweaked it enough...

#3444 2013-09-21 12:41:24

Steef435
Website

Just realized I didn't introduce myself yet. I'm Steef, 4 years ago I started experimenting with GNU/Linux because I was sick of Windows being untweakable and closed-source, and also because I found out it existed in the first place(thanks to the GIMP and VLC). I think I tried OpenSUSE first but couldn't get it to run, so I used Ubuntu(in the Gnome2 days). Fedora and OpenSUSE after that. When my Windows installation died completely I used only Xubuntu for some time and I started getting comfortable. Then I saw Ubuntu turning more and more into something I didn't like at all, so I hopped for a while until I finally found the courage to try install Arch(yes I did find it scary at that time) on my new desktop about half a year ago I think. And I'm glad I did.

Most of the time on Arch I spend fiddling with config files and trying to learn C++ and some other languages sometimes. I still have Windows on a dualboot for some games but I hope to get rid of it since more and more games come to Linux, and TF2 is already is running fine.

Many thanks to the amazing community and developers! The wiki is awesome, but I guess you knew that already.

#3445 2013-09-22 03:02:44

DoobieUs

Hi everyone - jumping into deep water with Arch so everything is moving at the speed of molasses, but I am getting somewhere!  Wiki is great.  See you around.

Also, I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but the captcha question is a pretty cruel joke.  I much prefer the ones like "Click on the pictures of DOGS".

#3446 2013-09-22 11:31:55

bleachy

I'm not only new to arch but linux entirely. Probably going to be posting about issues asking for help before contributing actually decent content to the collective, and hope this is a good community to do that in.

#3447 2013-09-22 12:18:59

x33a
Forum Fellow

DoobieUs wrote:

Also, I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but the captcha question is a pretty cruel joke.  I much prefer the ones like "Click on the pictures of DOGS".

Welcome to Arch.

Can you elaborate as to why you think the captcha is *that* bad?

@ bleachy,

Welcome to Arch.

Just be sure to do your research before asking questions. We are more than helpful to the ones who do that.

Last edited by x33a (2013-09-22 12:20:31)

#3448 2013-09-22 13:37:04

Andy45

Hello Linuxers!

I'm Andy, and this is my second time using Arch. (I tried to install the latest kernel to my first install and everything went awry.) I've turned to the forums so many times for help that I decided to try and contribute myself. I know I'll meet some cool people, so post away!

Cheers,
Andy

#3449 2013-09-22 20:54:56

Dagal

Hi all!

After throwing away Debian and Gentoo, I install Arch with few difficulties but all is ok now!

You can smile, I swapped / with /home in my boot config and solve it just with brain exercise...

next step : understand AUR and install sawfish

Cheers,

Dagal.

#3450 2013-09-23 11:54:53

growlboy

Hi everybody, my name is David. I started using Linux 6-7 years ago. My favourite distros were openSUSE and Mint. Than I discovered rolling-release method with Debian, and now I cannot imagine that I could use non-rolling distribution for desktop purposes. And then, migration from Debian(and LMDE) to Arch. I discovered that Arch has better rolling release options, and is more customizable than Debian and yet by now - equally stable, and much less buggy than semi-rolling LMDE (which is full of bugs).  Now , I want to learn some Bash scripting, and Arch is ideal environment for that, because everyday practice with it, is a training for using non-graphical way to control the system wink .

Last edited by growlboy (2013-09-23 11:55:28)

Board footer