You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-22 17:17:49

highway

[SOLVED] No write access (root owns it) to new TrueCrypt volume

The title says it all . . .

I backed up a bunch of personal stuff, school work, music, etc. from my old NTFS truecrypt volume yesterday and reformatted the whole drive (it had multiple partitions before) to one encrypted ext3 partition / TC volume.

I am able to mount the partition with the password, but when I do, I don't have write access at all.

I opened "$ sudo dolphin" to test write access with root, and it works no problem . . . how did this happen? and how do I change the drive/volume ownership from root to my user?

I don't even know where to begin with this . . .

Thanks in advance!

(Using Awesome WM)

Last edited by highway (2013-09-22 18:14:37)

#2 2013-09-22 17:21:59

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] No write access (root owns it) to new TrueCrypt volume

Have you installed and set up NTFS-3g ??Never mind, I did not read the question.

Last edited by ewaller (2013-09-22 17:23:04)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2013-09-22 17:26:55

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Have you tried using chown to change the ownership of the filesystem's root folder?

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#4 2013-09-22 17:28:24

ewaller
Administrator

Trying again, what was the specific command you gave to mount it?  What are the permissions of the mount point?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2013-09-22 18:04:43

highway

WorMzy wrote:

Have you tried using chown to change the ownership of the filesystem's root folder?

i have not . . . wouldn't even be sure how to do this since it's a whole drive and not a file . . .

ewaller wrote:

Trying again, what was the specific command you gave to mount it?  What are the permissions of the mount point?

i've tried it a few times, and have even rebooted . . . i am using the truecrypt GUI that launches automatically . . . i am not sure if i need to change anything with that . . . i've been using 4 different NTFS or FAT32 tc volumes over the past year with arch and the gui, and have never had a problem . . . i've never had to tweak or modify anything

the mount point is /media/truecrypt1 . . . so i assume that is owned by root

^ the other mount points /media/truecrypt2,3 etc have never given me trouble in the past.

i enter the volume password, then it asks for the admin password, and then things proceed as normal.

EDIT: i did some investigating as per your posts, and the /media/truecrypt1 directory was changed to user/owner: root root instead of: myuser/users . . . i did chown and chmod and it's working now :S

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by highway (2013-09-22 18:14:16)

Board footer