You are not logged in.

#26 2013-09-13 16:58:09

WonderWoofy

Re: Macbook Air 2013

@neptuneK, I realize that typically, you post in these boards only a couple times per year, but you need to use the edit button instead of replying over and over again to your own posts.

Regarding your issue, I would venture to guess (and have no proof to back it up and no 2013 Air to test on) that since the PCIe SSD's and SATA 3.2 is still so new, that maybe proper support for such functionality was not merged into the kernel until 3.11.  So maybe your system is now simply maybe to just use the correct modules instead of shooting for backwards compatibility.  Just a guess though…

#27 2013-09-13 17:15:14

hobarrera
Website

neptuneK wrote:

Using Apple's -fancy- bootloader to chainload GRUB2 works like a charm:
http://glandium.org/blog/?p=2830

If you previously had "rEFInd -> GRUB -> Linux", you could have deleted GRUB from that secuence instead of rEFInd.  Especially since rEFInd is way more simple and straighforward to set up - it's close to the KISS philosophy we all love. smile

rEFInd is also prettier. tongue

#28 2013-09-13 17:23:39

WonderWoofy

I would also personally avoid using grub2 if possible.  In the case of the Macbooks, which have EFI (albiet a funky implementation), I think that using efistub is the way to go.  So I have to agree with hobarrera. 

But since the efistub has not been without its issues in its short existence, it is probably good to have a backup solution ready if needed.  Even then, I would probably still avoid grub2.  There are a couple other bootloader options in the Linux world that I think are much simpler… I'm a fan of syslinux-efi, but elilo is also quite nice.

#29 2013-09-14 04:44:28

neptuneK

Sorry about my ignorance of forum etiquette.

I didn't start with rEFIt; GRUB2 worked after installing on the EFI partition,
although it couldn't actually boot OS X. I then installed GRUB2 to on a HFS+
partition to chainload linux.

Last edited by neptuneK (2013-09-14 04:46:17)

#30 2013-09-14 05:06:26

WonderWoofy

Since rEFInd is a fork of rEFIt that is friendlier to other (non-OSX) platforms, it features support for launching efistub directly, and in the process passing the required arguments to the kernel command line in order to get things booting.

#31 2013-09-15 04:54:40

seanvk

Hi,

On the subject of refind, I have it working quite well. My installation is using btrfs with subvolumes + refind.  I have an install script that I use, but I have to manually edit the refind_linux.conf file prior to unmounting and then rerun refind-install.  Example from my /boot/refind_linux.conf:

"Boot with standard options" "root=UUID=76348f46-e3e5-4e6a-a262-c5cc113afb1a  rootflags=subvol=__root rootfstype=btrfs add_efi_mmap rw systemd.unit=graphical.target libata.force=1:noncg"

Works nicely.

Sean

#32 2013-09-16 05:50:38

seanvk

I have an install script that I use for ArchLinux with Refind.  This script assumes you have done all the necessary steps of backing up your Mac image and installing refind onto Mac OS X first.  This script simply manages the installation of ArchLinux.  It also assumes a layout of:

sda1 EFI  (vfat) (EF00)
sda2 boot  (ext4)
sda3 root (btrfs)

It assumes UEFI and uses BTRFS + Luks + proxy install support+ Refind (Luks and Proxy are optional)

https://github.com/seanvk/arch-install/ … -refind.sh

Anyway, this is what I used to install ArchLinux onto my MacBook Air 2013 (6,2).  Thought I would share.  It is not modified of course, you still have to install broadcom wl dkms and apply the kernel cmdline change for the ata issues.  it still has the suspend/resume issues with backlight.

Sean

#33 2013-09-18 23:20:20

hobarrera
Website

Has anyone gotten the brightness-after-suspend issue fixed?

Also, bump?

#34 2013-09-19 05:03:14

hobarrera
Website

seanvk wrote:

I have an install script that I use for ArchLinux with Refind.  This script assumes you have done all the necessary steps of backing up your Mac image and installing refind onto Mac OS X first.  This script simply manages the installation of ArchLinux.  It also assumes a layout of:

sda1 EFI  (vfat) (EF00)
sda2 boot  (ext4)
sda3 root (btrfs)

It assumes UEFI and uses BTRFS + Luks + proxy install support+ Refind (Luks and Proxy are optional)

https://github.com/seanvk/arch-install/ … -refind.sh

Anyway, this is what I used to install ArchLinux onto my MacBook Air 2013 (6,2).  Thought I would share.  It is not modified of course, you still have to install broadcom wl dkms and apply the kernel cmdline change for the ata issues.  it still has the suspend/resume issues with backlight.

Sean

If I had to re-do my installation, I'd skip the boot partition. Just have an EFI partition about 500MB large (which is huge, but still), and mount that on /boot. Put the boot images onto it, and inside /boot/EFI all the efi boot stuff. There's really no need for that /boot anymore, especially with rEFInd. smile

---

Oh, regarding the brightness; after suspending, the brightness will take values of ~10%, or 95% any intermediate values are rounded down to 10% (which, unless you have a white screen, looks blank).

I've have sort-of-fix in place for this using sxhkd:

{_,super + }XF86MonBrightness{Down,Up}
  xbacklight -{dec 5,set 0,inc 7,set 100}
XF86KbdBrightness{Down,Up}
  kbdlight {down,up}

super+brightnessUp will bring my brightness to 100%, which, although it burns my eyes, give me a change to do a proper reboot.

I also made kbdlight to control keyboard brightness via sxhkd. It's a very tiny C program, that changes the brightness, but you don't need to be root, so you can bind this via xbindkeys/sxhkd/etc. smile

#35 2013-09-19 15:42:55

oboenerd

karol wrote:
drcouzelis wrote:
karol wrote:

This should end up in the wiki.

You (generally speaking) can add to it here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MacBook

I saw there are a few articles like https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ma … (Mid-2012) but if there's not much info, OP can add it to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ma … nformation

A thread on the forums doesn't hurt, there's nothing wrong with opening one or more (unless you're crossposting) e.g. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=165854 :-)

Hey guys, I'm the OP for the Pro Mid-2012 article... glad to see it's being noticed.  I actually wanted to ask if you guys have any success on the Synaptics Touchpad info on that page... I never got a second opinion on that and I'd love to see how it works on other laptops.

"I quoted myself." -oboenerd

#36 2013-09-19 16:03:32

hobarrera
Website

oboenerd wrote:

Hey guys, I'm the OP for the Pro Mid-2012 article... glad to see it's being noticed.  I actually wanted to ask if you guys have any success on the Synaptics Touchpad info on that page... I never got a second opinion on that and I'd love to see how it works on other laptops.

Mine worked out-of-the-box, for the 2013 MBA. Three finger scolling didn't work (so I can't scroll with the middle mouse button). Other that that, all normal MOUSE features work fine. Special OS X touchpad functionality like three/four finger scroll doesn't work.

#37 2013-09-19 16:15:31

oboenerd

I don't think the functionality is limited to OSX.  I've been using touchegg along with a patched synaptics driver to enable two-finger scrolling and three-finger drag, although it's easy to get other gestures working as well.  Emulating OSX's touchpad features is very possible.

I documented some of my experiments here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ma … d_Gestures

#38 2013-09-19 17:15:02

hobarrera
Website

oboenerd wrote:

I don't think the functionality is limited to OSX.  I've been using touchegg along with a patched synaptics driver to enable two-finger scrolling and three-finger drag, although it's easy to get other gestures working as well.  Emulating OSX's touchpad features is very possible.

I documented some of my experiments here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ma … d_Gestures

Oh, they're possible, I just meant they don't work out-of-the-box. I haven't looked into it further since I don't care much about them. tongue

#39 2013-09-20 20:23:39

albertalbert

hobarrera wrote:
oboenerd wrote:

Mine worked out-of-the-box, for the 2013 MBA. Three finger scolling didn't work (so I can't scroll with the middle mouse button). Other that that, all normal MOUSE features work fine. Special OS X touchpad functionality like three/four finger scroll doesn't work.

Humm I have a 2013 MBA (6,1) running Arch with Awesome WM however my touchpad only has the most basic functionality. I can move the cursor and do a left-click but can't find any way to right-click or scroll using the touchpad.

How did you get yours to work? I installed xf86-input-synaptics package but editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf file doesn't seem to have any effect at all.

What's your setup like?

#40 2013-09-20 20:26:16

oboenerd

I don't have my setup handy at the moment.  What do you see when you run synclient -l ?

EDIT:  I see what the problem is.  RightButtonArea options only show up if Clickpad is set to 1, but unfortunately this doesn't seem to happen until after the configuration file is parsed.  If you're using the bottom-right corner to right-click try using synclient to set the area coordinates.

Last edited by oboenerd (2013-09-20 20:28:29)

#41 2013-09-20 22:55:16

hobarrera
Website

albertalbert wrote:

Humm I have a 2013 MBA (6,1) running Arch with Awesome WM however my touchpad only has the most basic functionality. I can move the cursor and do a left-click but can't find any way to right-click or scroll using the touchpad.

How did you get yours to work? I installed xf86-input-synaptics package but editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf file doesn't seem to have any effect at all.

What's your setup like?

I merely installed the driver (I actually went the lazy way and installed the entire xorg xorg-apps groups), an voilá, everything worked.
Right click is two-finger-click, middle click es three-finger-click, and scrolling works with two fingers.

#42 2013-09-20 23:11:59

albertalbert

oboenerd wrote:

I don't have my setup handy at the moment.  What do you see when you run synclient -l ?

EDIT:  I see what the problem is.  RightButtonArea options only show up if Clickpad is set to 1, but unfortunately this doesn't seem to happen until after the configuration file is parsed.  If you're using the bottom-right corner to right-click try using synclient to set the area coordinates.

$ synclinet -l
Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?

My /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory has these files in it:
  10-evdev.conf
  10-quirks.conf
  10-synaptics.conf

My 10-evdev.conf looks like this:

$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf 
#
# Catch-all evdev loader for udev-based systems
# We don't simply match on any device since that also adds accelerometers
# and other devices that we don't really want to use. The list below
# matches everything but joysticks.

Section "InputClass"
         Identifier "evdev pointer catchall"
         MatchIsPointer "on"
         MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
         Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev keyboard catchall"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev tablet catchall"
        MatchIsTablet "on"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev touchscreen catchall"
        MatchIsTouchscreen "on"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

My 10-quirks.conf file looks like this:

# Collection of quirks and blacklist/whitelists for specific devices.

# Accelerometer device, posts data through ABS_X/ABS_Y, making X unusable
# http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=22442 
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "ThinkPad HDAPS accelerometer blacklist"
        MatchProduct "ThinkPad HDAPS accelerometer data"
        Option "Ignore" "on"
EndSection

And finally my 50-synaptics.conf file looks like this:

Section "Module"
        Load    "synaptics"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
       Identifier "synaptics touchpad catchall"
       Driver "synaptics"
       MatchIsTouchpad "on"
       Option "TapButton1" "1"
       Option "TapButton2" "2"
       Option "TapButton3" "3"

I'm not sure when that 10-quirks.conf file showed up, definitely wasn't there last week or so.

EDIT:

hobarrera wrote:
albertalbert wrote:

What's your setup like?

I merely installed the driver (I actually went the lazy way and installed the entire xorg xorg-apps groups), an voilá, everything worked.
Right click is two-finger-click, middle click es three-finger-click, and scrolling works with two fingers.

Humm maybe I'll try installing the whole package, maybe I'm missing something needed for my machine. Doing that now...

EDIT 2:

Tried to install the whole lot of xorg-apps but the installation failed... seems odd huh? Any idea why, considering you downloaded and installed them fine? Here's what it looked like:

sudo pacman -S xorg-apps
[sudo] password for albert: 
:: There are 37 members in group xorg-apps:
:: Repository extra
   1) xorg-bdftopcf  2) xorg-iceauth  3) xorg-luit  4) xorg-mkfontdir
   5) xorg-mkfontscale  6) xorg-sessreg  7) xorg-setxkbmap  8) xorg-smproxy
   9) xorg-x11perf  10) xorg-xauth  11) xorg-xbacklight  12) xorg-xcmsdb
   13) xorg-xcursorgen  14) xorg-xdpyinfo  15) xorg-xdriinfo  16) xorg-xev
   17) xorg-xgamma  18) xorg-xhost  19) xorg-xinput  20) xorg-xkbcomp
   21) xorg-xkbevd  22) xorg-xkbutils  23) xorg-xkill  24) xorg-xlsatoms
   25) xorg-xlsclients  26) xorg-xmodmap  27) xorg-xpr  28) xorg-xprop
   29) xorg-xrandr  30) xorg-xrdb  31) xorg-xrefresh  32) xorg-xset
   33) xorg-xsetroot  34) xorg-xvinfo  35) xorg-xwd  36) xorg-xwininfo
   37) xorg-xwud

Enter a selection (default=all): 
warning: xorg-bdftopcf-1.0.4-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: xorg-iceauth-1.0.6-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: xorg-luit-1.1.1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: xorg-mkfontdir-1.0.7-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: xorg-mkfontscale-1.1.1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: xorg-sessreg-1.0.8-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: xorg-setxkbmap-1.3.0-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: xorg-xauth-1.0.7-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: xorg-xbacklight-1.2.0-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: xorg-xcmsdb-1.0.4-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: xorg-xev-1.2.1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: xorg-xgamma-1.0.5-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: xorg-xhost-1.0.6-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: xorg-xinput-1.6.0-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: xorg-xkbcomp-1.2.4-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: xorg-xmodmap-1.0.7-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: xorg-xrandr-1.4.1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: xorg-xrdb-1.0.9-2 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: xorg-xrefresh-1.0.5-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: xorg-xset-1.2.3-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: xorg-xsetroot-1.1.1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Packages (41): dmxproto-2.3.1-2  libdmx-1.1.3-1  libxxf86dga-1.1.4-1
               xf86dgaproto-2.1-2  xorg-bdftopcf-1.0.4-1  xorg-iceauth-1.0.6-1
               xorg-luit-1.1.1-1  xorg-mkfontdir-1.0.7-1
               xorg-mkfontscale-1.1.1-1  xorg-sessreg-1.0.8-1
               xorg-setxkbmap-1.3.0-1  xorg-smproxy-1.0.5-1  xorg-x11perf-1.5.4-1
               xorg-xauth-1.0.7-1  xorg-xbacklight-1.2.0-1  xorg-xcmsdb-1.0.4-1
               xorg-xcursorgen-1.0.5-2  xorg-xdpyinfo-1.3.1-1
               xorg-xdriinfo-1.0.4-3  xorg-xev-1.2.1-1  xorg-xgamma-1.0.5-1
               xorg-xhost-1.0.6-1  xorg-xinput-1.6.0-1  xorg-xkbcomp-1.2.4-1
               xorg-xkbevd-1.1.3-1  xorg-xkbutils-1.0.4-1  xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3
               xorg-xlsatoms-1.1.1-1  xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2
               xorg-xmodmap-1.0.7-1  xorg-xpr-1.0.4-1  xorg-xprop-1.2.2-1
               xorg-xrandr-1.4.1-1  xorg-xrdb-1.0.9-2  xorg-xrefresh-1.0.5-1
               xorg-xset-1.2.3-1  xorg-xsetroot-1.1.1-1  xorg-xvinfo-1.1.2-1
               xorg-xwd-1.0.6-1  xorg-xwininfo-1.1.3-1  xorg-xwud-1.0.4-1

Total Download Size:    0.01 MiB
Total Installed Size:   2.07 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       1.10 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
:: Retrieving packages ...
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.us.leaseweb.net : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.nl.leaseweb.net : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.de.leaseweb.net : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from archlinux.polymorf.fr : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.1favre.de : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.chmuri.net : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.system.is : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirrors.liquidweb.com : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp.tuxdroid.org : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from archlinux.limun.org : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from lug.mtu.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.datacenter.by : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.bytemark.co.uk : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from foss.aueb.gr : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from miroir.ezvan.fr : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from archlinux.openlabto.org : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.unitedcolo.de : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp.lysator.liu.se : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp5.gwdg.de : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from arch.apt-get.eu : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.selfnet.de : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp.neutrinopower.de : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp.snt.utwente.nl : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinux.no : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mir.archlinux.fr : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror1.htu.tugraz.at : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp.byfly.by : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp.vectranet.pl : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.yandex.ru : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from archlinux.mirrors.uk2.net : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.vpsfree.cz : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from archlinux.mirror.dkm.cz : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.michael-eckert.net : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from pet.inf.ufsc.br : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.aarnet.edu.au : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp.hawo.stw.uni-erlangen.de : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from archlinux.c3sl.ufpr.br : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.rit.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp.tku.edu.tw : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.netcologne.de : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from www.gtlib.gatech.edu : Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transferred the last 10 seconds
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.fluxent.de : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from archlinux.mirror.kangaroot.net : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinux.fi : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.nexcess.net : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from cake.lib.fit.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from archlinux.mirrors.linux.ro : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from arch.linux.net.mk : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.cc.columbia.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp.spline.inf.fu-berlin.de : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirrors.cat.pdx.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from archlinux.aubrac-medical.fr : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp.mfa.kfki.hu : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp.portlane.com : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from www.las.ic.unicamp.br : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from archlinux.surlyjake.com : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from archlinux.mirror.rafal.ca : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.us.leaseweb.net : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.nl.leaseweb.net : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.de.leaseweb.net : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from archlinux.polymorf.fr : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.1favre.de : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.chmuri.net : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.system.is : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirrors.liquidweb.com : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp.tuxdroid.org : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from archlinux.limun.org : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from lug.mtu.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.datacenter.by : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.bytemark.co.uk : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from foss.aueb.gr : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from miroir.ezvan.fr : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from archlinux.openlabto.org : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.unitedcolo.de : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp.lysator.liu.se : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp5.gwdg.de : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from arch.apt-get.eu : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.selfnet.de : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp.neutrinopower.de : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp.snt.utwente.nl : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinux.no : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mir.archlinux.fr : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror1.htu.tugraz.at : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp.byfly.by : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp.vectranet.pl : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.yandex.ru : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from archlinux.mirrors.uk2.net : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.vpsfree.cz : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from archlinux.mirror.dkm.cz : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.michael-eckert.net : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from pet.inf.ufsc.br : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.aarnet.edu.au : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp.hawo.stw.uni-erlangen.de : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from archlinux.c3sl.ufpr.br : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.rit.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp.tku.edu.tw : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.netcologne.de : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from www.gtlib.gatech.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.fluxent.de : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from archlinux.mirror.kangaroot.net : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinux.fi : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.nexcess.net : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from cake.lib.fit.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from archlinux.mirrors.linux.ro : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from arch.linux.net.mk : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.cc.columbia.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp.spline.inf.fu-berlin.de : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirrors.cat.pdx.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from archlinux.aubrac-medical.fr : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp.mfa.kfki.hu : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from ftp.portlane.com : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from www.las.ic.unicamp.br : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from archlinux.surlyjake.com : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
error: failed retrieving file 'xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from archlinux.mirror.rafal.ca : The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
(41/41) checking keys in keyring                   [########################] 100%
(41/41) checking package integrity                 [########################] 100%
error: xorg-xkill: signature from "Allan McRae <me@allanmcrae.com>" is invalid
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/xorg-xkill-1.0.3-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n] 
error: xorg-xlsclients: signature from "Allan McRae <me@allanmcrae.com>" is invalid
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/xorg-xlsclients-1.1.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n] 
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Last edited by albertalbert (2013-09-20 23:31:04)

#43 2013-09-21 13:03:53

oboenerd

Your local pacman databases are out-of-date.  Always perform a full pacman -Syu before installing a package group. 

You shouldn't need to install this package group.  Try removing 'synaptics' from the identifier line in your synaptics.conf.  Also make sure you have an EndSection at the end of the file.

EDIT: Now I see what the problem could be....
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=165854
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=60181

Try updating your system (kernel) and see if it works.

Last edited by oboenerd (2013-09-21 13:08:56)

#44 2013-09-22 16:17:25

karihre

Another recent MBA 2013 owner reporting in.  Using kernel 3.11.1, encrypted root, arch linux only install.

The mouse works fine with the synaptics package, although I'm a bit "clumsy" and when typing my hands frequently touch the mouse, moving the cursor and clicking elsewhere, pretty annoying, any ideas?

Got it to boot with rEFInd (installing it from arch), although I had some problems with the efibootmgr binary that came when I installed (printing out an invalid pointer exception and crashing) so I ended up doing a mount --bind /usr/bin /mnt/usr/bin from the live-usb before chrooting which contained a binary that worked, I'm guessing the most recent package of efibootmgr is broken?  I can provide details if anyone is interested.  Now I'm suffering from a problem that after selecting arch in the refind menu, I get to see the kernel boot line but then it immediately hangs like 3 out of 4 times (while booting ca. 1 out of 4 times).  Anyone else seeing this?
I guess I'm suffering from bug #33745 but using kernel 3.11.1.

Wireless worked nicely after installing the broadcom-wl driver from AUR

Audio worked with headphones but not from speakers like others have reported.  Does anyone know when this patch that was discussed here will be packaged?

I installed Laptop Mode Tools but haven't configured it to dim the screen automatically, any tips in that regard?  I saw I could throw some values in /sys/ somewhere (if I remember correctly), I guess I just have to figure out some nice values and put in the laptopmode configuration.  Haven't really used a laptop for a while (owned a 2006 model thinkpad and recently my desktop was just much better) so I'm trying to adapt smile.

#45 2013-09-22 19:31:42

MrMen

I would be interested in having one of this mba, but I wonder how does the battery last ? Can anynone give me an idea about this (depending on the use).
I don't know if it's the best place for this… Thanks.

#46 2013-09-22 19:39:53

oboenerd

Linux isn't as tightly optimized to Apple's hardware as OSX is, and the biggest difference you'll notice is that even during idling Linux consumes significantly more power.  Battery life in Linux is generally not too great on Apple hardware.  Even after lots of work I could only bring Arch Linux down to about 9-10W, and this is on a completely idle system without X.  On OSX, last time I checked I was getting at most 6-7W on idle, with graphics of course.

Bottom line, it's not pretty.

#47 2013-09-22 19:44:19

MrMen

I know it won't be the same as on osX, but I have an old white unibody and I'm quite happy with it. Can I hope having at least 7 hours with the 13' model ? or am I dreaming ?

#48 2013-09-22 19:54:48

oboenerd

No clue... unfortunately this will be very different between different versions of the hardware and it'll be hard to pinpoint it.  Intel used to host a website which allowed Linux users to share power saving tips but the site was discontinued and taken down about a year ago.  Intel still maintains powertop, so if you want to go ahead and install it, you can get some power diagnostics by installing and running that.

#49 2013-09-22 23:15:37

hobarrera
Website

karihre wrote:

Another recent MBA 2013 owner reporting in.  Using kernel 3.11.1, encrypted root, arch linux only install.

The mouse works fine with the synaptics package, although I'm a bit "clumsy" and when typing my hands frequently touch the mouse, moving the cursor and clicking elsewhere, pretty annoying, any ideas?

I recently disabled the touch to click (and now you need to PRESS-and-make-a-click-sound to click), by adding this to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/60-synaptics.conf:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "touchpad catchall"
        Driver "synaptics"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        Option "PalmDetect" "1"
        Option "PalmMinWidth" "10"
        Option "PalmMinZ" "200"
        Option "MaxTapTime" "0"
EndSection
karihre wrote:

Got it to boot with rEFInd (installing it from arch), although I had some problems with the efibootmgr binary that came when I installed (printing out an invalid pointer exception and crashing) so I ended up doing a mount --bind /usr/bin /mnt/usr/bin from the live-usb before chrooting which contained a binary that worked, I'm guessing the most recent package of efibootmgr is broken?  I can provide details if anyone is interested.  Now I'm suffering from a problem that after selecting arch in the refind menu, I get to see the kernel boot line but then it immediately hangs like 3 out of 4 times (while booting ca. 1 out of 4 times).  Anyone else seeing this?
I guess I'm suffering from bug #33745 but using kernel 3.11.1.

1 out of about, 10 times, I've been seeing refind freeze and need to reboot. Haven't been able to find out what the issue is. VERY ocassional though.

karihre wrote:

Wireless worked nicely after installing the broadcom-wl driver from AUR

Audio worked with headphones but not from speakers like others have reported.  Does anyone know when this patch that was discussed here will be packaged?

Yes, this has been mentioned on this thread before, there's a link to a patch as well.

karihre wrote:

I installed Laptop Mode Tools but haven't configured it to dim the screen automatically, any tips in that regard?  I saw I could throw some values in /sys/ somewhere (if I remember correctly), I guess I just have to figure out some nice values and put in the laptopmode configuration.  Haven't really used a laptop for a while (owned a 2006 model thinkpad and recently my desktop was just much better) so I'm trying to adapt smile.

There's a couple of apps in AUR that dim you screen using the light sensor, you might be interested in that. I just mange keyboard/screen backigh manually with the media keys using sxhkd, so I can't help regarding Laptop Mode Tools.

#50 2013-09-22 23:18:13

hobarrera
Website

MrMen wrote:

I would be interested in having one of this mba, but I wonder how does the battery last ? Can anynone give me an idea about this (depending on the use).
I don't know if it's the best place for this… Thanks.

oboenerd wrote:

Linux isn't as tightly optimized to Apple's hardware as OSX is, and the biggest difference you'll notice is that even during idling Linux consumes significantly more power.  Battery life in Linux is generally not too great on Apple hardware.  Even after lots of work I could only bring Arch Linux down to about 9-10W, and this is on a completely idle system without X.  On OSX, last time I checked I was getting at most 6-7W on idle, with graphics of course.

Bottom line, it's not pretty.

This is WAY off. OS X reported 13-15hs of battery.
Arch reports about 10-11hs of battery duration. Light browsing, taking notes in class, python coding, and IM, last about 10hs.
Running heavier games, working heavily with eclipse (+java, of course), have manged to reduce the duration to about 6hs. Never less than that.

Board footer