You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-01 07:29:11

useraddition

WLAN module is sleeping from Windows Dual boot cannot Install

Hi I'm having problems installing from the Core installation disk due to Windows 7 or the Windows 7 Wifi driver for my computer shutting off the Wifi module when it restarts or powers off. I was wondering if anybody had any idea about that if so. How do I wake WLAN in Linux Dual-boot so I can have wireless internet access in Linux. I run an ASUS Laptop. My wifi driver is a Ralink 80211n Network adapter.

#2 2013-09-01 12:55:00

Lone_Wolf

Re: WLAN module is sleeping from Windows Dual boot cannot Install

This is possibly due to windows having trouble to establish a wireless connection, then it shuts down the wireless card to save power.
Unfortunately on some systems, bios/efi doesn't re-enable the card at next boot.

I've encountered cases where the card stayed disabled, and the only way to get it back was use the network troubleshooter to get it activated gain.
That trick however only worked until windows lost wireless connection for whatever reason.

The only way to solve this permanently if found is to deny windows the option to shut down the wireless card at all.

To make this work however you need to change the wireless adapter settings :

In windows configuration panel, look for 'device management'.
In the tree, select the physical wireless adapter, choose properties .
you should see 4 tabs then, one of them (think it's called driver details) allows you to set many driver settings.

Look for an option called something like : "windows is allowed to shut down this device to save power" and disable it.

Edit : tried to make it more readable

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2013-09-01 12:57:29)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2013-09-24 02:23:01

useraddition

I tryed that I still cannot access my wifi I would post notes but I can't even install linux for notes to post unless I go back to the installation cd copy the stuff on paper and go back into windows on the forum. I tryed:

rfkill list
rfkill unblock all
rfkill unblock wifi

I've tryed that thing in windows and i still can't access my wifi threw linux.

#4 2013-09-25 20:53:57

Lone_Wolf

when you boot from the install iso, please do a lspci and check if your wireless is detected at all.

Some wifi chips on laptops are connected through usb instead of pci, also check with lsusb if lspci doesn't show the wireless.

If neither lsusb / lspci show the wireless chipset, look in the bios /efi setup for a setting like : "plug and play OS installed"  and try reversing it.

What is the model of your asus laptop and does it have  a wired connection ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer